What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Wb1234

Referee

Paying 11 percent interest to fund spending is so stupid

I mean it’s not credit card rates but it’s not far off either

interest payments will be close to ten million pa

Wb1234

Referee

PVL sticks knife in​

Peter V’landys has had the last laugh in his battle with rugby as NRL clubs explore the opportunity of a salary cap free-kick when it comes to signing players from the 15-man code.
V’landys’ idea of cap exemptions for NRL clubs signing players from rival codes was first raised in this column at the time of the Suaalii defection, and it’s due to be discussed by the ARLC at its board meeting next month.
Rugby was talking tough about poaching NRL players, but a shocking World Cup, the exit of the Wallabies coach and RA chairman, and the backlash on Suaalii’s salary, combined with financial concerns, has put the brakes on any plans to raid league’s ranks.
V’landys has sat back and watched rugby return to the dark days of Fort Fumble – the name given to the old ARU by the late John Fordham when they failed to sign Andrew Johns. The sport is struggling and V’landys has pointed out that the war between the codes was always an unfair fight.

“I will always do what’s best for rugby league and its fans,” he said. “I’m sure the office-holders of rugby union will do the same for their sport, however I hope they learnt bringing butter knives to a gun fight isn’t the best strategy.”

The Great Dane

First Grade
This story just popped up in my feed and shows some of what’s wrong with Australian Rugby:

It does loosely touch on some of the major issues with Australian RU, but at the same time it's full of a bunch of nonsense classist and racist stereotyping. It's actually rather ironic as that women is a perfect representative of everything she claims to stand against, the only difference is that the targets of her vitriol are still culturally acceptable.

bazza

Immortal
It does loosely touch on some of the major issues with Australian RU, but at the same time it's full of a bunch of nonsense classist and racist stereotyping. It's actually rather ironic as that women is a perfect representative of everything she claims to stand against, the only difference is that the targets of her vitriol are still culturally acceptable.
I think the main thing is that if you are a half decent RU playing kid and want to make it as a pro in that sport the only real option to get picked up is via a $25k+ per year private school in Sydney or Brisbane.
Worst case is that you would have to live in a capital city and play in the local comp

bazza

Immortal
Perfect private school education.

Lose millions and have daddy bail you out.
yes - my assumption is that the RU CEO found a banker from the same school willing to lend someone else's money for loan with a low likelihood of being repaid

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think the main thing is that if you are a half decent RU playing kid and want to make it as a pro in that sport the only real option to get picked up is via a $25k+ per year private school in Sydney or Brisbane.
Worst case is that you would have to live in a capital city and play in the local comp
This. And if you don’t feel comfortable in a private school environment (and yes, racism and class discrimination absolutely are a thing at some of those schools) then tough shit:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The genuinely half decent RU playing kids don't have to pay to go to a private school, as they all end up on scholarships pretty quickly. Besides, the stereotype of having to go to private school to make it in RU hasn't really been true for decades. There're quite a few grassroots clubs that consistently pump out strong juniors in RU, the problem is that the ARU is run by a circle jerk of mongs in Sydney that don't value them and have left them to fend for themselves. Well, that and RL comes in and poaches as much of the best talent they can at every step in the system.

Having to move to a capital city and play in their local competitions is no different from RL juniors at the same age either. For the most part if you want to make it in RL you're going to have to move to one of a handful of cities, all within NRL club's "catchments", to have a genuine shot.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
This. And if you don’t feel comfortable in a private school environment (and yes, racism and class discrimination absolutely are a thing at some of those schools) then tough shit:
If this kid had experienced a genuine unadulterated case of racial discrimination at a prestigious private school the case would be in court and the family suing for damages. Furthermore, such a case almost certainly would be national news in the current political environment, especially during the Voice referendum, and would have been used as a political football for 15 minutes before everybody moved onto the new thing to be outraged about.

Until there's solid evidence to the contrary, the fact that that isn't the case, and my experience in the grassroots, leads me to believe that this "racism" was more than likely frivolous or petty BS that got out of hand. Probably something like the kid was dropped but they're convinced that he's the second coming of Clive Churchill, so they're chalking it up to racism for example, and she's ironically playing on stereotypes of private schools, and their class and racial makeup, to push that narrative.

Canard

Immortal
Uprooting your whole family to another country isn't exactly some cheap and cheerful exercise either. What's the Mum(parents) doing for a job? Where do they live?

We aren't being told the whole story here, with all due respect to our Kiwi Cousins, who the f**k would you pick Rotorua of all places to emigrate to in NZ?

And the random "a NRL career holds no interest", sounds like old mate has not been selected for his school or rep team and got sooky.

Last edited:

bazza

Immortal
The genuinely half decent RU playing kids don't have to pay to go to a private school, as they all end up on scholarships pretty quickly.
I don't think the fees are the issue in this case given that the parent is happy to move to another country. It is that they don't want the kid to attend such a school. One advantage RL has is there is a bit of choice on schooling. If you want to play at school at a high level you are probably opting for one of the bigger Catholic schools, a sports high school or some of the other public schools. However, you can get high quality RL at a junior level outside of the school system

Besides, the stereotype of having to go to private school to make it in RU hasn't really been true for decades. There're quite a few grassroots clubs that consistently pump out strong juniors in RU, the problem is that the ARU is run by a circle jerk of mongs in Sydney that don't value them and have left them to fend for themselves. Well, that and RL comes in and poaches as much of the best talent they can at every step in the system.
I think you have hit the nail on the head with your comment on the people running the ARU - which is why players feel they need to get into the GPS/CAS system to be seen by the right people.

Having to move to a capital city and play in their local competitions is no different from RL juniors at the same age either. For the most part if you want to make it in RL you're going to have to move to one of a handful of cities, all within NRL club's "catchments", to have a genuine shot.
That is probably true - though RL does appear to have better pathways for people in regional areas. Even having professional teams based in Townsville, Wollongong, Gold Coast and Newcastle is something that RU doesn't have

Matua

Bench
Uprooting your whole family to another country isn't exactly some cheap and cheerful exercise either. What's the Mum(parents) doing for a job? Where do they live?

We aren't being told the whole story here, with all due respect to our Kiwi Cousins, went the f**k would you pick Rotorua of all places to emigrate to in NZ?

And the random "a NRL career holds no interest", sounds like old mate has not been selected for his school or rep team and got sooky.
I assume the family already has a job lined up.

But, if you were going to choose a school and didn't want to live in Auckland any of the Super 8 teams would be a decent team to go too.

Anyway, if he's no good he'll get found out pretty quickly over there.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Rotorua Boys is a good school both academically and rugby wise and Rotorua is pretty much Māori culture central, cost of living is much lower than Auckland, and it’s a town approximately the size of Port Mac so the lifestyle won’t differ much from home. I can see why it’d tick a bunch of boxes for that family.