What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New stadium - 2025

Stadium Fan

Juniors
A brief update on the stadium situation:

So, unfortunately, as we all know, the full rebuild is not going ahead. It's sad, I know, but what can we do? On the bright side, we are getting an upgrade and a major one. From the information I've heard, the government is literally doing half a rebuild, with an entirely new western stand and an upgrade to the eastern one. I don't know exactly how it will look, but hopefully, it will not turn out like a Frankenstein half-old/half-new stadium. On another note, I know this is controversial, however, if I was the Panthers board, I would hold off until the next election to begin any work. Imagine if the Liberals, who are pro-stadium, get back in office, and decide to go ahead with a full rebuild. None of that's guaranteed, but I'm just worried about how far the clock will be set back for a new venue, which I think Penrith eventually deserves.

The article

The Panthers are building a $400 million empire to match their on-field exploits, creating their own city in the heart of Penrith to cement themselves as an NRL powerhouse.

The vision for a ‘Panthers city’ is well and truly in motion.
On a site that stretches over 60 hectares and snakes along Mulgoa and Jamison road in Penrith is ‘The Precinct’.

It’s the jewel in the Panthers’ burgeoning asset portfolio which is home to Penrith’s first five-star hotel, a state-of-the-art conference centre, an aged care facility, a sprawling leagues club and the NRL side’s centre of excellence.

But Panthers Group CEO Brian Fletcher doesn’t just want Sydney’s west to come play at The Precinct, he wants them to stay.

It’s the reason the Panthers are working with a developer to build 860 apartments on the site where they also lease land to fast food restaurants and have a money spinning aqua golf business and a wakeboarding and aqua park.

Already, the Panthers have made a windfall on the development of the new apartments. From each apartment built, the Panthers will receive $20,000.

“The aim when I started back in 2016 was to build a city around the club, if we could do that it would future proof the business,” Fletcher said.

“We’re building 860 apartments with the idea that you get a couple of thousand people right at our front door.

“The population is increasing steadily. There are a lot of new hotels, breweries. It’s a really go-ahead sort of city.

“With the new airport opening in 2026 that’s only going to create even more opportunities for the Panthers and the area.”

Fletcher wants to be at the forefront of that growth in Sydney’s west.

It’s why they spent $121 million to build the 153-room Pullman, Penrith’s first luxury hotel, and the 1000-seat Western Sydney Conference Centre.

Last year, The Precinct generated around $22 million in after-tax earnings – excluding football operations.

Operating at full capacity, the hotel and conference centre are expected to add $10 million a year to the coffers by 2027.

Aqua golf has turned into a revenue bonanza after Fletcher has the nous to take over the lease of the unassuming business.

“It’s a marvellous business, we make around $1.2 million a year out of that,” Fletcher said.

“When I first started I would walk past the aqua golf. I was multiplying the bays in my head and I thought ‘we should be getting around $1-2 million per year depending on the lease agreement’, but it had expired. Now we own the lease and make a great return on it.”

The Royce, an aged care facility named after club legend Royce Simmons and owned by Tulich, also operates from the site. It boasts 151 senior living apartments and 128 fully serviced rooms.

Debt levels have risen while they expand but Fletcher is confident of paying down the liabilities within the next 10 years.

“We do have $100 million in debt now but we’ll have in excess of $300 million net assets once we revalue the new property,” he said.

“We are asset rich.”

Between 2011 and 2019, the football club lost $50 million and made just one preliminary final. But since winning three straight premierships, it is now $30 million in the black.

CEO of football Matt Cameron said it was driven not only by on-field success, but community buy-in.

Corporate boxes at the stadium are sold out for next season and they’ve already reached 90 per cent of their 2024 membership goal.

“We aim to be a source of community pride and we really feel like the community is coming on this journey with us,” Cameron said.

Cameron knows Penrith’s NRL exploits will keep the football club in the black and strengthen the entire organisation.

“We’ve got to stay in the top four, that’s the sweet spot,” Cameron said.

“It will get harder and harder to win competitions every year no doubt for the next 10 years, but the financial model works if you can be a top-four team.”

The Minns government, in August, scrapped $300 million plans for a new stadium. Instead the Panthers will do a $300 million refurbishment on the existing BluetBet Stadium, with the western stand to be rebuilt and the eastern stand to be upgraded.

It’s expected to increase the capacity by 2500 seats to 25,000 when it reopens in 2026.

Diversification is the buzzword in league circles as clubs try to reduce their reliance on gaming revenue.

The Roosters recently unveiled the Waverley Bowling Club redevelopment, which included 55 luxury apartments, as clubs scour to find similar business opportunities.

Fletcher said gaming revenue for 2023 was tracking to be around 10 per cent lower than last year, when it generated around $65 million.

“We’re only 40 per cent reliant on gaming at the moment, and we are hoping to be even less reliant in the coming years,” Fletcher said.

Penrith will field their richest ever jersey next season, thanks to a three-year front of jersey sponsorship with MyPlace, which will include supporting a women’s NRLW program as the Panthers aspire to a 2026 licence.

The club is looking to build a women’s facility next to their existing $22 million centre of excellence.

For head of commercial partnerships Jeremy Tuite, it’s a far cry from the days when major commercial partners weren’t willing to come to the table when the side was struggling on the field.

“Oak and Hertz started supporting us at a time when the club was at the other end of the table. It helped us out of a really bad time. So there is a lot of loyalty on our end,” Tuite said.

Penrith also operates licensed clubs in Port Macquarie, Bathurst, North Richmond and Glenbrook, which along with Panthers generated around $143 million in revenue in the last financial year.

Fletcher revealed the Panthers were “looking to expand precincts” in Port Macquarie, where a fully serviced aged care facility is planned, and in Bathurst with a new hotel

BossleyPanther

Juniors
The wife heard that the Government was going to use some of the funds for the stadium upgrade to be used for leichhardt stadium.

What does it say? Can’t get X here in China.
Penrith Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher responded to the Inner West Council’s push to take money off their stadium rebuild, with the inner city council hoping funds could be redirected to the increasingly outdated Leichhardt Oval.

Sime_11

Juniors
agreed - updated facilities as well - it will be a good thing

just as long as corporate facilities are eating into general fans capacity - its the one thing i hate about Commbank

Munky

Coach
Commbank has minimal width between seats and no leg room.

I'm a tall lanky dude and while the facilities are nice the actual sitting and watching a game of footy was incredibly uncomfortable

Iamback

Coach
what events outside Panthers games are going to get over 25k from the local area?

It would depend where the extra 1 million people are moving from.

So it is hard to say but the stadium is meant to service from the Hawkesbury down to Camden.

With the current demographics of that area. You'd get country music singers that would fill it

I am sure there is other stuff that they would prefer out here instead of having that many travel into the CBD for