What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fair enough I’ll give you that one
To come to Vlads point you could argue that in real terms its still less as its more expensive to run an AFL club, but then you can also argue they spend more because they earn more. Swings and roundabouts.

For us whats most important is the NRl grant has now made every club viable, thats a massive step forward for the game from 10 years ago. I still remember Gallop in Centenary year when we should have been celebrating actually put out a media interview about how fcked some clubs were and how they might not survive! What a leader he was!

Vlad59

Juniors
To come to Vlads point you could argue that in real terms its still less as its more expensive to run an AFL club, but then you can also argue they spend more because they earn more. Swings and roundabouts.

For us whats most important is the NRl grant has now made every club viable, thats a massive step forward for the game from 10 years ago. I still remember Gallop in Centenary year when we should have been celebrating actually put out a media interview about how fcked some clubs were and how they might not survive! What a leader he was!
Now you can tell us why comparing the two tv deals is absolute nonsense. No doubt we could have done better but a $for $ comparison is either dishonest or ignorant.

Wb1234

Referee

Yeh I remember being angry at gallop when he did that

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now you can tell us why comparing the two tv deals is absolute nonsense. No doubt we could have done better but a $for $ comparison is either dishonest or ignorant.
Only if you believe the variables have been out of our control for the last 11 years!

Vlad59

Juniors
Only if you believe the variables have been out of our control for the last 11 years!
Some have and some haven’t. And those that haven’t are being addressed. But those out of our control are significant by any analysis. It’s good you are catching on. I’ll make a critical analyst out of you yet. Ive done this for decades by the way. It’s fun.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some have and some haven’t. And those that haven’t are being addressed. But those out of our control are significant by any analysis. It’s good you are catching on. I’ll make a critical analyst out of you yet. Ive done this for decades by the way. It’s fun.
I respectfully disagree, we made our bed, got screwed, and in 2025 will have ended up with a much greater tv revenue gap between the codes than anytime in our history.

Number of games, metro reach, opening the rights up to competitive bidding, amount of advertising space in a game. Those are the key variables in terms of the last TV deal outcome, and all of them we could have done something about before now.
Sure you can say yeh but in the future, and that may happen, or it may not. What we do know is the now. And in the now we performed very poorly and didnt set ourselves up for max tv revenue like AFL has over the last 11 years. You reap what you sow.

Vlad59

Juniors
I respectfully disagree, we made our bed, got screwed, ended up with a much greater tv revenue gap between the codes than anytime in our history.

Number of games, metro reach, opening the rights up to competitive bidding, amount of advertising space in a game. Those are the key variables in terms of TV deal outcome, and all of them we could have done something about before now.
Under pressure people every to type. In your case it’s to always fall back on being negative and throwing barbs at the NRL whilst always finding positives with the AFL.
You are basically dishonest and biased.
You aren’t a critical analyst. You aren’t a critical analysts small toe nail. You are a person with a massive chip on your shoulder who used faulty analysis deliberately to throw crap at our administration. They aren’t beyond reproach but you are deliberately mischievous.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Under pressure people every to type. In your case it’s to always fall back on being negative and throwing barbs at the NRL whilst always finding positives with the AFL.
You are basically dishonest and biased.
You aren’t a critical analyst. You aren’t a critical analysts small toe nail. You are a person with a massive chip on your shoulder who used faulty analysis deliberately to throw crap at our administration. They aren’t beyond reproach but you are deliberately mischievous.
now you're just falling into the lessor minded on here who cant hold a discussion and revert to insult. Shame I thought you better. By all means refute any of what I've just said.

Vlad59

Juniors
now you're just falling into the lessor minded on here who cant hold a discussion and revert to insult. Shame I thought you better. By all means refute any of what I've just said.
Merely pointing out facts. I’ll discredit your poor analysis bit by bit as we go. I’m in no hurry. You have to remember though you come from a position of bitterness and as such you’ll always focus on the negative. You’ve been doing it for years. I’m the first one to admit the NRL has let itself down over the years. But not to the extent you claim and given how much you rave about your analysis skills I can only assume you’ve been deliberately misleading in your commentary. By any objective analysis the NRL tv rights can’t be worth as much to networks as the afls. Probably never will. Cest la vie.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Merely pointing out facts. I’ll discredit your poor analysis bit by bit as we go. I’m in no hurry. You have to remember though you come from a position of bitterness and as such you’ll always focus on the negative. You’ve been doing it for years. I’m the first one to admit the NRL has let itself down over the years. But not to the extent you claim and given how much you rave about your analysis skills I can only assume you’ve been deliberately misleading in your commentary. By any objective analysis the NRL tv rights can’t be worth as much to networks as the afls. Probably never will. Cest la vie.
no you're sharing an opinion.

you say can't. I say could if better decisions had been made over the last 11 years. Lets break down my reasoning

1. Amount of games. Yes we could have 9 games by now, there was a great opportunity in 2013 to bring in Perth and Brisbane2.
2. metro reach. Yes see above
3. We could have gone to open market with the rights. yes, this is on Vlandys and his rush to extend in a position of weakness
4. More advertising space. This one is more contentious. we could go to 4 qtrs but would it change fabric of the game too much?

so out of 4 key variables with AFL we could have addressed at least 3 of them since the ARLC took over. What other reasons would they have for being able to consistently attract greater tv funding than us? If anything we should be ahead just by virtue of our overseas rights which they dont, and wont ever have. Throw in value of Origin and the fact we have a much bigger audience and I honestly don't know how anyone can defend the current situation.

Vlad59

Juniors

you say can't. I say could if better decisions had been made over the last 11 years. Lets break down my reasoning

1. Amount of games. Yes we could have 9 games by now, there was a great opportunity in 2013 to bring in Perth and Brisbane2.
3. We could have gone to open market with the rights. yes, this is on Vlandys and his rush to extend in a position of weakness
4. More advertising space. This one is more contentious. we could go to 4 qtrs but would it change fabric of the game too much?

so out of 4 key variables with AFL we could have addressed at least 3 of them since the ARLC took over. What other reasons would they have for being able to consistently attract greater tv funding than us? If anything we should be ahead just by virtue of our overseas rights which they dont, and wont ever have. Throw in value of Origin and the fact we have a much bigger audience and I honestly don't know how anyone can defend the current situation.
Slow down old boy. There is plenty of time to do this. Critical analysis is a fine art.

Iamback

Coach

1 - March 2012 - GC were in $35m debt

2014 - NRL had the license of WT and Newcastle due to financial iss

you expect the game to expand?

2 - See above particularly as Perth struggled with the costs earlier

3 - We don't know the figure but if TV is 2/3 of money. Wouldn't that make atleast $50m of the $107m growth in revenue the new TV deal kicking in?

4- Even if NRL ruins the game by making qtrs. AFL has more goals and longer games so more stoppages.

NRLW is the area that the game needs to grow to bring the gap closer.

Melbourne and NZ missing for starters hurts the comps value as opposed to AFLW being a full 18 team comp

Creating the ARLC has been great for the game but RL needs to stay out of its way

Vlad59

Juniors
1 - March 2012 - GC were in $35m debt and you expect the game to expand?

3 - We don't know the figure but if TV is 2/3 of money. Wouldn't that make atleast $50m of the $107m growth in revenue the new TV deal kicking in?

4- Even if NRL ruins the game by making qtrs. AFL has more goals and longer games so more stoppages.

Melbourne and NZ missing for starters hurts the comps value as opposed to AFLW being a full 18 team comp
Nice post. This administration has had a shed load of issues to fix due to the neglect of previous admins. It’s done quite an extraordinary job in my view. Not perfect but very good. It’s easy to sit behind a key board though and throw shit at them as our mate does. Fact is his analysis is based on a negative bitter agenda. He’s not very good at it as a result.

Iamback

Coach
Nice post. This administration has had a shed load of issues to fix due to the neglect of previous admins. It’s done quite an extraordinary job in my view. Not perfect but very good. It’s easy to sit behind a key board though and throw shit at them as our mate does. Fact is his analysis is based on a negative bitter agenda. He’s not very good at it as a result.

Lots of catch up done and more to go but things like Vegas and potentially 3 more teams inside 10 years. These are things that RL in past wouldn't be in a position to do

Bukowski

Juniors
1 - March 2012 - GC were in $35m debt

2014 - NRL had the license of WT and Newcastle due to financial iss

you expect the game to expand?

Creating the ARLC has been great for the game but RL needs to stay out of its way
Good post but I'll pull you up about the NRL having the WT license. Balmain borrowed money from the NRL because they didn't want to borrow money from Wests. When they couldn't pay it back Wests covered the debt.

Iamback

Coach
Good post but I'll pull you up about the NRL having the WT license. Balmain borrowed money from the NRL because they didn't want to borrow money from Wests. When they couldn't pay it back Wests covered the debt.

Sorry my mistake, Well 2 clubs licences were held by the NRL. A 3rd the NRL was monitoring.

Latest posts