What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
its still lagging behind 5 years ago, and the announcement for future commitment barely reaches the 2019 level. Add your love for inflation on that and how we travelling?

As you mentioned them AFL has just announced a guaranteed $1bill over 9 years to grassroots funding.

That is what they spend, You always leave out the $3m or so clubs spend on activities the NRL used too.

NRL is looking at $650m over that same period, That won't include doing deal with construction companies to get AFL posts put in new schools and the other ways AFL spends their development money

Iamback

Coach
if you don’t want to be accused of being an afl lackey then stop behaving like one. The NRL has done an amazing job building its asset base, regrowing its participation funding and cutting back head office expenditure. That is honourable and a huge achievement. Vlandys and Abdo have done a great job. The money being ploughed into junior development as a % of income is substantial and higher than the afls. And we’ve done as a not for profit without paying our CEO and other staff millions of dollars. Stand up for the game for once mate.

Correct, We have spoke in another thread how well NRL Vic and Storm are working together.

That is money well spent as opposed to just $x

Perth Red

Post Whore
if you don’t want to be accused of being an afl lackey then stop behaving like one. The NRL has done an amazing job building its asset base, regrowing its participation funding and cutting back head office expenditure. That is honourable and a huge achievement. Vlandys and Abdo have done a great job. The money being ploughed into junior development as a % of income is substantial and higher than the afls. And we’ve done as a not for profit without paying our CEO and other staff millions of dollars. Stand up for the game for once mate.
Ive already said the financials are excellent. People just like to read what the want to read. I will balance my commentary where as most on here just see the world through the Vlandys koolaid.
For those who struggle to comprehend, I think the ARLC has done a great job with the games finances. I am also buoyed by Vlandys expansion rhetoric, but having heard it from every leader for the last 15 years I'll judge it when/if it happens.

ps we do pay our exec millions of $'s, just nowhere near as much as AFL does. Maybe why the business has lagged behind them?

Vlad59

Juniors
That is what they spend, You always leave out the $3m or so clubs spend on activities the NRL used too.

NRL is looking at $650m over that same period, That won't include doing deal with construction companies to get AFL posts put in new schools and the other ways AFL spends their development money
As we all know, the afl are compulsive liars.

Wb1234

Referee
Ive already said the financials are excellent. People just like to read what the want to read. I will balance my commentary where as most on here juts see the world through the Vlandys koolaid.
For those who struggle to comprehend, I think the ARLC has done a great job with the games finances. I am also buoyed by Vlandys expansion rhetoric, but having heard it from ever leader for the last 15 years I'll judge it when/if it happens.

ps we do pay our exec millions of $'s, just nowhere near as much as AFL does. Maybe why the business has lagged behind them?
This is what a strategic withdrawal looks like

Vlad59

Juniors
Ive already said the financials are excellent. People just like to read what the want to read. I will balance my commentary where as most on here juts see the world through the Vlandys koolaid.
For those who struggle to comprehend, I think the ARLC has done a great job with the games finances. I am also buoyed by Vlandys expansion rhetoric, but having heard it from ever leader for the last 15 years I'll judge it when/if it happens.
Nice job avoiding the real issue of my post- junior development funding and bloated salaries for afl officials.

The_Wookie

Bench
Certain afl clubs get funded very well

the rest don’t

every rugby league club is funded well

the afl can’t afford to fund its club like ours are

they would go broke

wat. if they wanted to follow the NRL model they could, they just dont.

In 2023 $363.7m distributed to clubs and players in 2023 = average 21.39m per club
In 2023 $393.8m distributed to AFL clubs to AFL clubs = average 21.87m per club

AFL salary cap last year was 15.02m

Vlad59

Juniors
Would you pay execs an extra $6mill if it meant an extra $300mill in revenue? Hmmm.
Jesus there you go again. You just can’t help yourself. No wonder so many here are just plain sick of you. We are closing the gap without the avarice you so obviously approve of.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Jesus there you go again. You just can’t help yourself. No wonder so many here are just plain sick of you. We are closing the gap without the avarice you so obviously approve of.
Id suggest its a fair question, pay peanuts and all that. I mean they have had $2billion more revenue than us in last decade, maybe exec quality has something to do with that? Again, dont be afraid of the hard questions. heard of 'you get what you pay for'? Now sure it might just be pigs at the trough, or it might be that extra salary has bought better quality management and exec and helped them realize that $2bill revenue gap?
People shouldn't get so upset by some critical analysis.

Vlad59

Juniors
Correct, We have spoke in another thread how well NRL Vic and Storm are working together.

That is money well spent as opposed to just $x
I’d like to see how much of the afl budget goes into legal fees covering up scandals such as the Fagan/Clarkson Hawthorn racism debacle. I’d suggest it’s many millions.

Vlad59

Juniors
Id suggest it’s a fair question, pay peanuts and all that. I mean they have had $2billion more revenue than us in last decade, maybe exec quality has something to do with that? Again, dont be afraid of the hard questions.
I’d suggest that you are wrong. We’ve just had poor management for too long and are catching up at a rate of knots. I’d suggest they have wasted $millions on the Gold Coast and west Sydney for bugger all return. I’d suggest they have huge legal expenses covering up multiple racism scandals. I’d suggest they are a bloated organisation that pisses money up against the wall as so many such organisations do. And I’d suggest the level of financial waste they’ve engaged in is exemplified by the blatant lie by your mate Gil that they are bigger than us in QLD. If they are half as good as you keep telling is then why do they have to lie so blatantly about their achievements?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d suggest that you are wrong. We’ve just had poor management for too long and are catching up at a rate of knots. I’d suggest they have wasted $millions on the Gold Coast and west Sydney for bugger all return. I’d suggest they have huge legal expenses covering up multiple racism scandals. I’d suggest they are a bloated organisation that pisses money up against the wall as so many such organisations do. And I’d suggest the level of financial waste they’ve engaged in is exemplified by the blatant lie by your mate Gil that they are bigger than us in QLD. If they are half as good as you keep telling is then why do they have to lie so blatantly about their achievements?
You're entitled to your opinion, Im not hear to defend them, I go on the facts as best as we can see them. In financial performance they have trounced us, continue to trounce us and thats where we need to pivot. Its great to see the gap will close this year, and looks like potentially by a bit. It may widen again in 2025 when their new mega deal kicks in and we will have to wait till 2028 to see our next deal to hopefully catch up again. They have enjoyed revenue from their asset investment for last few years where as we are only just building ours. I applaud the current surplus which is what they are using to buy assets. The $56mill surplus this year will largely have been spent on the two hotels we have bought in Cronulla and SC.

going on what we've seen so far:
Our revenue has gone up from $585.3mill in 2022 to $701.1 mill. in 2023 +$115.8mill
AFLs revenue was $856.3mill in 2022 and is predicted to have gone up to around $960mill in 2023 +$103.7mill

As for Qlnd, of course its BS, bit like Vlandys saying we've overtaken AFL when talking financials. These alpha males like to big themselves and companies up. Nothing new there. He was laughed at and quite rightly so. Just as Im sure the other side are laughing at Vlandys #1 claim. The only meaningful metric we beat them in is TV viewers. everything else we are miles behind still.

Last edited:

Vlad59

Juniors
Im not hear to defend them, I go on the facts as best as we can see them. In financial performance they have trounced us, continue to trounce us and thats where we need to pivot. Its great to see the gap will close this year, and looks like potentially by quite a bit. It may widen again in 2025 when their new mega deal kicks in and we will have to wait till 2028 to see our next deal to hopefully catch up again. They have enjoyed revenue from their asset investment for last few years where as we are only just building ours. I applaud the current surplus which is what they are using to buy assets. The $56mill surplus this year will largely have been spent on the two hotels we have bought in Cronulla and SC.

As for Qlnd, of course it BS, bit like Vlandys saying we've overtaken AFL when talking financials. These alpha males like to big themselves and companies up. Nothing new there. He was laughed at and quite rightly so. Just as Im sure the other side are laughing at Vlandys #1 claim. The only meaningful metric we beat them in is TV viewers. everything else we are miles behind still.
As usual you deflect and hide whilst continuing to downplay our achievement compared to theirs. They had a 20 year start on us of a clear national vision and they implemented that without the recent multi million dollar salaries you admire so much. They’ve had a ton of advantages including extra revenue and we are still there breathing down their necks despite Greenberg and gallop. They’ve thrown literally tens of millions of dollars at a media department that spews out puff stories like clock work. For all that you admire about them they can’t get any real traction against us. And at last we have a leader who throws it back at them and you whinge about that. What you’ve done here this afternoon is what everybody predicted. AFL lackey.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As usual you deflect and hide whilst continuing to downplay our achievement compared to theirs. They had a 20 year start on us of a clear national vision and they implemented that without the recent multi million dollar salaries you admire so much. They’ve had a ton of advantages including extra revenue and we are still there breathing down their necks despite Greenberg and gallop. They’ve thrown literally tens of millions of dollars at a media department that spews out puff stories like clock work. For all that you admire about them they can’t get any real traction against us. And at last we have a leader who throws it back at them and you whinge about that. What you’ve done here this afternoon is what everybody predicted. AFL lackey.
haha, like I said don't be afraid of critical analysis, it wont hurt you!

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you stopped rating your opinions so highly and critically analysed them you’d see what we see.
I dont rate my opinions at all, I put them out there and they are for others to be interested in, or not. Hopefully they create conversations, argument maybe a bit of controversy. Things that make life a bit more interesting.

Like I said I look for measures and data and try to stay away from the emotive subjective stuff. Most on here struggle to undertake critical analysis and feel threatened when others use it. Never been afraid to not toe the party line and never will be. Try it, it makes life interesting. I also have no love or hate for AFl ( I save my disdain for rugby union as where Im from they are enemy #1) so dont get the same emotional defensiveness that others get when it comes to that code. There are lots of things they do far better than us and we could learn from, and much we do far better and shouldn't replicate what they are doing on.
But enough about me, as much as many on here seem to like to talk more about me than the game :)