What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Warriors @ Go Media Stadium, Penrose / Aotearoa

Who will win? Round 4: Warriors v Newcastle

• Warriors 13+

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Warriors 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woody90

Juniors
The thing I don’t get is, last season our structures in attack were so good it didn’t really matter who played in the halves. We could bring in Hastings or Clune interchangeably and everyone knew their roles within that structure.

Which begs the question, what’s changed there? Why have we suddenly thrown all of our attacking structures that were working out the window? It doesn’t make any sense when our head coach and attack coach haven’t changed.

Now we’re at a point where we’ve changed halfbacks after round 2 and may be more changes. None of our halves have ever been elite but they worked last season within the attacking structures. IMO we need to fix the coaching otherwise no half is going to work.

For the record I’ll be surprised if AOB drops Cogger this soon as if he does its pretty much admitting he can’t improve the side through coaching and only idea is to keep changing half combinations hoping that something sticks. FTR I’ve never been a fan of Cogger and think Hastings has much more ability.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
I’m thinking round 1 we were rusty, way too many dropped balls. After that loss O’brien said completions and simple footy wins games in the first month of the season. I think that’s how we have been training and playing, no risk footy and defence focussed. It’s keeping us in the contest but it’s not getting us wins.
And our attack in their 10m is crap.

The thing I don’t get is, last season our structures in attack were so good it didn’t really matter who played in the halves. We could bring in Hastings or Clune interchangeably and everyone knew their roles within that structure.

Which begs the question, what’s changed there? Why have we suddenly thrown all of our attacking structures that were working out the window? It doesn’t make any sense when our head coach and attack coach haven’t changed.

Now we’re at a point where we’ve changed halfbacks after round 2 and may be more changes. None of our halves have ever been elite but they worked last season within the attacking structures. IMO we need to fix the coaching otherwise no half is going to work.

For the record I’ll be surprised if AOB drops Cogger this soon as if he does its pretty much admitting he can’t improve the side through coaching and only idea is to keep changing half combinations hoping that something sticks. FTR I’ve never been a fan of Cogger and think Hastings has much more ability.
Last year our defence was solid and our middles went forward. We also had 2 great wingers who started off our sets on the front foot

This year our ruck control is awful, our middles can't seem to hit the ad line and our wingers get flogged in contact

Tough for our attack to do much of anything with that wobbly platform being laid

perverse

Referee
Another 4 Dally M point for KP (most for any player in that game). He is currently equal 1 point off the lead (Hynes on 12) in a team that is 1-3.
If we go on another run at some point this year then he will sew up the Dally M standing on his head. Sad, but it's the way the award is and always has been.

At least he earned the points this week. Getting 6 last week was a joke.
I like KP but no way he should be getting that many points for Dally M the past Rounds (Nicho too). RTS clearly should of got the maximum points based on impact and stats. 4 points smh. They wouldnt have to hide the judges if they just scored the game fairly.

I like KP but no way he should be getting that many points for Dally M the past Rounds (Nicho too). RTS clearly should of got the maximum points based on impact and stats. 4 points smh. They wouldnt have to hide the judges if they just scored the game fairly.
Don't go for the FOX click bait buddy . RTS ran a lot and that's about it. My jaw dropped when I read the FOX crap headline.

Ponga
Points - 4
RM - 169
LB - 2
LBA - 2
TA -1
TB - 7
Kick Mtrs - 237

RTS
Points - 0
RM - 283
LB - 0
LBA - 0
TA - 0
TB -7
Kick Mtrs - 0

Last edited:

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I like KP but no way he should be getting that many points for Dally M the past Rounds (Nicho too). RTS clearly should have got the maximum points based on impact and stats. 4 points smh. They wouldnt have to hide the judges if they just scored the game fairly.
RTS made good metres but what else did he actually do that would make him deserving of maximum Dally M points?

The main things that I can remember him doing in this game are as follows:

- Put a mean step on Croker (who he should beat every day of the week)
- Probably saved a try by knocking down the Ponga pass for Tuala

If there’s more to it than that then please share…

perverse

Referee
I mean I thought RTS was fantastic. If he didn't have that double step and bump play people probably aren't gassing up the performance nearly as much, but he had a great game and that play put an exclamation point on it. He's all class. Everything he did was at an elite level of quality.

I thought last week was dumber for KP getting points than this week, but at the end of the day, it's just how the award works. The favourites always bag a bunch of points they didn't really earn. You can suffer the rest of your life whinging about it if you like, it hasn't changed in the 30+ years i've followed the sport. Ponga was definitely in the top 3 players on the park, and whenever that's the case, he's likely to pick up a point or 2 beyond what your average player would get.

RTS made good metres but what else did he actually do that would make him deserving of maximum Dally M points?

The main things that I can remember him doing in this game are as follows:

- Put a mean step on Croker (who he should beat every day of the week)
- Probably saved a try by knocking down the Ponga pass for Tuala

If there’s more to it than that then please share…
It was over 100 running metres more, let's not skim over that fact considering RTS hasn't played RL for 2 years. RTS isn't a kicker so I guess that's where KP has a little edge on him stat wise. The knock down of the ball was pure footy IQ on Roger's part. He saved a definite try there and that could of changed the whole momentum of the game. This is why the impact of RTS was the key factor for me calling these judges out for Dally M Points. I acknowledge KP is class and without him the Knights would be worse for wear. However he did not deserve 4 points. 2 at best.

perverse

Referee
It was over 100 running metres more, let's not skim over that fact considering RTS hasn't played RL for 2 years. RTS isn't a kicker so I guess that's where KP has a little edge on him stat wise. The knock down of the ball was pure footy IQ on Roger's part. He saved a definite try there and that could of changed the whole momentum of the game. This is why the impact of RTS was the key factor for me calling these judges out for Dally M Points. I acknowledge KP is class and without him the Knights would be worse for wear. However he did not deserve 4 points. 2 at best.
Who were the 2 blokes who were definitely better than KP on the day - so much so that both judges should have rated him 3rd best on field at best (by your logic)?

I don't actually think that it's too outrageous that he'd pick up 2 points off each judge this week... which would equal 4 points. His stats certainly back up the "eye test" that he was hugely impactful on the game. I dunno, I feel like you're clutching at straws a bit on this one. Last week you'd have a much better argument, and you'd have no-one here argue either. If you really think some grave injustice has been done because it's sideways in either direction a point or two then you might need to touch some grass. Ponga and RTS were the best 2 on field for mine quite comfortably, and I think i'd flip a coin to split them.

na na buddy don't backtrack. The ONLY KPI that ya little darling come out on top is RM - You're wrong - the end.

Ponga
Points - 4
LB - 2
LBA - 2
TA -1
Kick Mtrs - 237

RTS
Points - 0
LB - 0
LBA - 0
TA - 0
Kick Mtrs - 0

Ponga
RM - 169
TB - 7

RTS
RM - 283
TB -7

Let's add some more just for shitz and giggles shall we ?
Ponga
Defused Kicks - 4
Forced Drop Outs -1
Errors - 0
Receipts - 54
Passes - 25

RTS
Defused Kicks - 7
Forced Drop Outs - 0
Errors - 2
Receipts - 35
Passes - 4

Yosh

Coach
I thought RTS was fantastic also. The game isn't just about stats but impact on the game. Some of RTS's runs turned their average sets into great ones. His kick returns and safety under the highball meant that we couldn't pin them down in their half at all. His gravity when sweeping around the back is tremendous. It had our backline guessing every time SJ or Chanel got the ball. The try he saved was huge in the context of the game. If we score that, I reckon we would have went on to win the game.

Anyway, Ponga was electric. Glad to see him play well right from round 1 this year. Hopefully the team can step up and support him.

Latest posts