What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gambhir the merkin's merkin

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
And rightly so.

Ive lost count of how many times ive seen similar incidents in the past, all without reprisal.
If you've lost count of so many similar incidents gone un-punished, would you care to name a few?

Tommy Smith said:
Did Gambhir do it on purpose? Yes. But i can't possibly see how you can prove it beyond all doubt as it wasn't totally blatant.
Wasn't totally blatant? You actually think there is a remote chance that anyone in their right mind would believe that Gambhir just coincidentally stuck his elbow out as he passed Watson?

Tommy Smith said:
And even if he did his elbow wouldn't have hurt a fly. To give him a one-test ban for this is a joke.
So the fact that he has committed this offence in the past should count for nothing? If he had not done this before then yes, a 1 match ban woud be too harsh.
Tommy Smith said:
Even more of a joke is Watson's 10% match fee fine in comparison.

Chris Broad is a dodgy bastard.

You're an idiot.

Red Bear

Referee
Whilst i dislike watson as much as the next guy, and wil fully acknowledge he's a dickhead for trying to talk sh*t whilst getting spanked, anyone who thinks Gambhirs actions were not deliberate has been taking lessons from locky in the art of inserting ones head up ones own arse. Deserved suspension, cricket is not a contact sport and there is no place for that sh*t in the game.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Didnt Gumbier do something similar to Afridi a year back or so?

so he is a serial offender, maybe afridi said some words like watson, so its ok? lol

typicalfan

Coach
By all means fine him 80% of his match fee like Zaheer was. But don't ruin the test series by banning India's best performed batsman for the final test.

Talk about a major asterix should Australia win the last test.
his form should have no relevance on the outcome. IF he gets suspended then its HIS fault

JJ

Immortal
Tommy, I don't think the status of the series or the player should be considered when determining the appropriate punishement...

It was a stupid thing to do, and I reckon Gambhir worked that out just as he was sticking the elbow out - hence the contact was minimal...

When's the appeal - will be interesting, to say the least

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

It will be after the fourth test, meaning that while Watson has been penalised for his part in the incident, Gambhir effectively goes un-punished.

He will be able to play in the crucial fourth test and should the suspension be upheld, it won't have an impact on his involvement in this test series. Pretty ridiculous really.

HevyDevy

Coach
Tommy, I don't think the status of the series or the player should be considered when determining the appropriate punishement...

It was a stupid thing to do, and I reckon Gambhir worked that out just as he was sticking the elbow out - hence the contact was minimal...

Wow, we may actually agree on something for once JJ.

I'm not claiming Gambhir's actions as some huge thing but it was certainly very, very silly and a one-match ban is fair enough.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It will be after the fourth test, meaning that while Watson has been penalised for his part in the incident, Gambhir effectively goes un-punished.

He will be able to play in the crucial fourth test and should the suspension be upheld, it won't have an impact on his involvement in this test series. Pretty ridiculous really.

did you expect any different

same thing happened to Harby last year in Australia

Tommy Smith

Referee

I think it's a fair decision. (what a shock, you say!)

Aside from the fact that he has a right to appeal (and im not sure if his appeal could be heard sooner) but i dont see how that incident should impact this series.

Its not like in Rugby league where a player knocks another out of a game with a high shot only to be put on report, which doesnt help the team they're facing but the ones he's suspended for in the games after.

Besides all that, whether it was Gambhir or an Aussie who did it, to receive a one Test suspension for that incredibly soft offense is absurd. 90% of his match fee would have been far more sensible.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

Aside from the fact that he has a right to appeal (and im not sure if his appeal could be heard sooner) but i dont see how that incident should impact this series.

Its not like in Rugby league where a player knocks another out of a game with a high shot only to be put on report, which doesnt help the team they're facing but the ones he's suspended for in the games after.

Besides all that, whether it was Gambhir or an Aussie who did it, to receive a one Test suspension for that incredibly soft offense is absurd. 90% of his match fee would have been far more sensible.

You really have no idea. It is a non-contact sport, and Gambhir has offended in the past.

Get a clue before you post and you might not look so stupid.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

I'm not saying I didn't expect it, but it doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

For all the pissing and moaning Gavaskar and the India sympathisers on here carry on with about how Indian players are targeted unfairly - they sure do get away with a lot of sh*t.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I know this is a Rugby League forum Tommy, but in cricket that physical contact is a no no.

I agree it was soft, but totally illegal, and his innings in the 4th test could possibly effect the series outcome, such is his form atm.

And the last test finished in plenty of time to have his appeal heard, but no one really expected India to act in time.

We are just so used to India getting their own way we have become blaze about it.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Hey Twiz everybody is being mean to me in here.

5.gif

But you're still my friend aren't you?

friends_index.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
One of my very best fends is a pom, although you're an Aussie pom, he is a for real pom.

We certainly have a lot of arguments over sport, and he's a Leeds fan to boot, about the only team we have in common.