What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calorie Counting

Johns Magic

Referee
Sorry, sort of a stupid question...but how do you know how many calories are in food?

It doesn't tell you in the nutritional info on products...

Joker's Wild

Coach
JM, most packaging has energy in KJs so all you need to do is divide that number by 4 (roughly) and you have the number of calories.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
yea it requires maths JM - who knew my highschool teachers were right!

roopy

Referee
Weight Watchers was difficult for me.... I found trying to eat all the points in a day very difficult. I've lost 30kgs now on a meal replacement diet with hopefully a few more to come. It helps minimise your calorie intake - the fact you have an aversion to some fresh vegetables may be a hassle but other than that you can cook them anyway you like and add around 200 gms protein for your main meal.
well done.
Those meal replacement diets seem to work for a lot of people.
Not enough fibre and too much whey powder for my digestive system though.

Valderon

Juniors
ok cools- we'll go with aiming to get to 1200kJ's for now

Just thought I'd mention, it's either 1200 cals, or 5000 kJ's

Honestly though, at the very least, it depends on your height, body mass, and activity levels. 5000kJ's for a 5'3 female would differ to 5000kJ's for a 5'8 female (at the basic level).

aqua_duck

Coach
Weight Watchers was difficult for me.... I found trying to eat all the points in a day very difficult. I've lost 30kgs now on a meal replacement diet with hopefully a few more to come. It helps minimise your calorie intake - the fact you have an aversion to some fresh vegetables may be a hassle but other than that you can cook them anyway you like and add around 200 gms protein for your main meal.
I've had some friends have bad experiences on Tony Ferguson shakes, basically lost alot of weight (30-40kg) by cutting calories and almost starving themselves. After they got to their goal weight they stopped the shakes, ate normal and put all the weight back on again and then some.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Just thought I'd mention, it's either 1200 cals, or 5000 kJ's

Honestly though, at the very least, it depends on your height, body mass, and activity levels. 5000kJ's for a 5'3 female would differ to 5000kJ's for a 5'8 female (at the basic level).

165/170cm and looowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww amount of activity levels...??

aqua_duck

Coach
165/170cm and looowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww amount of activity levels...??
From your height, age (I guessed 18-35), estimated weight (65kg) and 3-5 hours exercise a week, to lose body fat I got a count of
126g protein
79g carbs
54g fat
per day

which roughly works out to be 1300 calories

Didgi

Yeah everything (nutritional percentages etc. on the packaging) is based on an average adult male intake of 8000kj.

Garts

Bench
I dont bother counting anything like carbs, fat, calories per day. I just try and eat healthy with some excercise thrown in. Just jumped on the Wii to check my weight and I have dropped 1.3kg since Sunday. About 5kg in total since the start of Jan, another 7kg to go.

aqua_duck

Coach
I dont bother counting anything like carbs, fat, calories per day. I just try and eat healthy with some excercise thrown in. Just jumped on the Wii to check my weight and I have dropped 1.3kg since Sunday. About 5kg in total since the start of Jan, another 7kg to go.
1.3kg in 3 days sounds like alot, you reckon any of that would be waterweight?

Garts

Bench
I wondered that but I weigh myself at the exact same time everyday and in the previous 2 hours I had probably had 3 glasses of water. Sometimes I will go 3 days and not lose anything but then all of sudden I lose over a kg. Seems to be how it works with me.