What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

stretcher

Juniors
oh thats right they dont play parra, bulldogs,the hardest team they play is tigers. no excuse if they dont make semis. and penrith new how good zac clay was long time ago but done nothing maybe the budget was set aside for others first.
Here we go again Zac clay was offered money from penrith and chose to go anyway it has nothing to do with budget its to do with not signing up 13year olds that havent proven themselves parra like to take the punt and throw money at a maybe and it has backfired on them many times i think the stand that penrith take by not signing players on potential will pay off and i can see it happening this year with a shoestring budget teams like roosters ,newcastle,sharks and parra have been spending big money on junior reps with very little return and the bulldogs have spent big on there local boys and with an open cheque book budget are the only ones succeeding but they have signed proven players..

Here we go again Zac clay was offered money from penrith and chose to go anyway it has nothing to do with budget its to do with not signing up 13year olds that havent proven themselves parra like to take the punt and throw money at a maybe and it has backfired on them many times i think the stand that penrith take by not signing players on potential will pay off and i can see it happening this year with a shoestring budget teams like roosters ,newcastle,sharks and parra have been spending big money on junior reps with very little return and the bulldogs have spent big on there local boys and with an open cheque book budget are the only ones succeeding but they have signed proven players..

well i suppose time will tell, wont it. parramatta dont think so.

JustinL

Juniors
does anybody know the teams for the panthers and the academy games this weekend the panthers side only has the whole side and cant find anything on the academy thanks

GongPanther

Referee
What ever happened to freedom of speech

Nothing to do with "Freedom Of Speech"?

Do you know how frustrating it is when you read a thread that is more than 10-15-20 pages long (hence this thread) and all you are getting is a flame competition?

It wastes time endlessly going through the rubbish that gets spat out at times and I think no one has time to waste on lame arguments between to individuals that have nothing to do with football.

Hissy rant over.

parra pete

Referee
pattys blacktown it is just not right parra have plenty of juniors why poach others

Its a circle...Cronulla, Manly and Canterbury poach the Eels and the Panthers, Parra look into Panther territory, and it starts all over again....
Cronulla, Manly and Canterbury think it is easier to pick from the shelf, rather than grow their own.
The competition needs a Player Draft like the AFL...

Kilkenny

Coach
Its a circle...Cronulla, Manly and Canterbury poach the Eels and the Panthers, Parra look into Panther territory, and it starts all over again....
Cronulla, Manly and Canterbury think it is easier to pick from the shelf, rather than grow their own.
The competition needs a Player Draft like the AFL...

Finally, there is another rugby league supporter out there with common sense.

The salary cap only does half the job. The NRL needs a draft to truly even out playing competition. Well said.

Finally, there is another rugby league supporter out there with common sense.

The salary cap only does half the job. The NRL needs a draft to truly even out playing competition. Well said.

yes those were the days when wicky and co played, if you won a game it was like winning a grand final. and the players played for the love of the game.

Kilkenny

Coach
yes those were the days when wicky and co played, if you won a game it was like winning a grand final. and the players played for the love of the game.

Funnily enough wins in the day of Terry Wickey, Dollar Geary, Stevo, Ashurst, Glen West and Co were in fact great days. They did in fact largely play for the love of the game because they played for win bonuses and losses largely went unpaid (other than the imports such as Stevo and Bill). You may mock but they were special days because there were no expectations, no fan days or forums and the old ground did have a certain graveyard atmosphere about it.

Funnily enough wins in the day of Terry Wickey, Dollar Geary, Stevo, Ashurst, Glen West and Co were in fact great days. They did in fact largely play for the love of the game because they played for win bonuses and losses largely went unpaid (other than the imports such as Stevo and Bill). You may mock but they were special days because there were no expectations, no fan days or forums and the old ground did have a certain graveyard atmosphere about it.

no you got it wrong, im not mocking i was there through the bad floggings like manly 74 penrith nil etc,one of the best games i ever saw was penrith and balmain 18 all draw 30 odd years ago it was hard and fair.

Kilkenny

Coach
no you got it wrong, im not mocking i was there through the bad floggings like manly 74 penrith nil etc,one of the best games i ever saw was penrith and balmain 18 all draw 30 odd years ago it was hard and fair.

My apologies. I was at the Manly game as well.

You may also have been at the game against St George at home when we were down 18-0 with a little over 10 minutes to go. Bill Ashurst magic turned the game and we put on five tries in the last 10 or so to win 25-18. Pure magic. 1975 as I recall. I can still recall an Ashurst chip over the top and regather, pass on the inside to someone (maybe Zac Ole our five eighth at the time) leading to a try under the posts which set up our comeback.

ranga

Juniors
oh thats right they dont play parra, bulldogs,the hardest team they play is tigers. no excuse if they dont make semis. and penrith new how good zac clay was long time ago but done nothing maybe the budget was set aside for others first.
its been said earlier zac left the district because his mum moved to the parra area ,he wanted to stay at penrith but the travel was to much for him nothing to do with budget ,and you already no who the best side they play is ,you should coach at some stage

ranga

Juniors
yes zac clay is a good player,but theres others that will fill the breach,and im shaw theres players in the squad that will accomomndate him nextyear,the problem these days they rush a good young player in too early,then we have injuries, let them play there own age group and let there bodies fully develope,they still be there if there good enough.the problem is too they forget were they started in the local comp and thats were they got selected,a smell of a bit of money there off, no loyality any more, one time you play for the love of the game, but like anthing money talks players walk.
do you still stand by this or are you going with your other view that they should have kept him (**Edited**)

Last edited by a moderator: