What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

murraymob

Coach
Straight shooter and Ranga can we give it a rest.
The season has started with 2 good wins by both teams.Spitty on p1 has done a good review if either of you where there today lets here how you seen the games best players scorers

Lets keep it to the football now

Straight shooter and Ranga can we give it a rest.
The season has started with 2 good wins by both teams.Spitty on p1 has done a good review if either of you where there today lets here how you seen the games best players scorers

Lets keep it to the football now

yes 2 good games,well done to both teams, fuimaono and cartwright had strong games in matts.

Kilkenny

Coach
The Central Coast sides as has been the case since there inception were simply outgunned by far bigger and stronger opposition. Both Central Coast sides had no kids of Pacific Islander origin and it was men against boys in both grades.

When the wife and I arrived the programs were sold out so I was not too familiar with too many of the boys in either Matts or Ball.

The performance of the Matts was solid is unspectacular. In greasy conditions they kept there mistakes to a minimum and there were pleasing perfromances from Barry Walkers son who played in the centres and the lock who I assume is John Cartwrights son or relation. The opposition offered little and were simply outmuscled.

The SG Ball was similar in so much as physically is was men against boys. However, this was a mistake riddled performance where we completed very few sets of six. There was little structure about our attacking sets and we there were too many occasions where we tried to score or attack without laying a proper foundation and as a result it led to errors time and time again. Harry Seika did not have a game to remember and his most significant contributions were his 10 minutes in the bin for back chat and failing to find the sideline from penalties on two occasions. The Central Coast side tried but were no match for the size of the Panthers and it was simply impossible to guage our side or chances on the back of this win.

The margins may seem positive but I would read too much into the wins as the Central Coast will be cellar dwellers in both competitions.

murraymob

Coach
They are only dumb decisions when they perform poorly but what happens if they go really well in both grades letting the next brad fittler go would be justified then?please brad fittler was ten times better at the same age but the difference was he didnt leave and signed a big contract after playing top level and proving himself not on rep he worked for it not clay.......

now back to the game

murraymob

Coach
harold matts penrith 46
j.... Fuimaono . 3
. ... makiouf 2
m. stig ...1
j.....walker 1
j.... hoffman.....1.
goals
w.tuavao........7

s.g.ball
penrith.....40
j.buttler-fleming....3
k.nanai..............1
t.feiloakitau........1
k.matavao.........1
j.brenner...........1

goals
h.Sejika.................5
j.Buttler-Flemming....1

stretcher

Juniors
The Central Coast sides as has been the case since there inception were simply outgunned by far bigger and stronger opposition. Both Central Coast sides had no kids of Pacific Islander origin and it was men against boys in both grades.

When the wife and I arrived the programs were sold out so I was not too familiar with too many of the boys in either Matts or Ball.

The performance of the Matts was solid is unspectacular. In greasy conditions they kept there mistakes to a minimum and there were pleasing perfromances from Barry Walkers son who played in the centres and the lock who I assume is John Cartwrights son or relation. The opposition offered little and were simply outmuscled.

The SG Ball was similar in so much as physically is was men against boys. However, this was a mistake riddled performance where we completed very few sets of six. There was little structure about our attacking sets and we there were too many occasions where we tried to score or attack without laying a proper foundation and as a result it led to errors time and time again. Harry Seika did not have a game to remember and his most significant contributions were his 10 minutes in the bin for back chat and failing to find the sideline from penalties on two occasions. The Central Coast side tried but were no match for the size of the Panthers and it was simply impossible to guage our side or chances on the back of this win.

The margins may seem positive but I would read too much into the wins as the Central Coast will be cellar dwellers in both competitions.
well i have the program in front of me now and there are four pacific islanders in the central coast side and a total of of six pacific islanders played for penrith in the ball side so you should of got a program to get your facts right instead of misleading everyone that wasnt at the game.
players as follows for c/coast of pacific islander appearance 10.richard aholelei 1.alex brew20goerdie makie23 conan kanh all these guys got on ..
penrith islanders are as followed 2keti nannai. 3.tevita felikatau. 5.toni satini. 8john taefu.15 micheal pio.16.kaiser matavao and others named didnt play these are the only ones that played so that theory is out the window the truth is penrith have more white than people know.

murraymob

Coach
well i have the program in front of me now and there are four pacific islanders in the central coast side and a total of of six pacific islanders played for penrith in the ball side so you should of got a program to get your facts right instead of misleading everyone that wasnt at the game.
players as follows for c/coast of pacific islander appearance 10.richard aholelei 1.alex brew20goerdie makie23 conan kanh all these guys got on ..
penrith islanders are as followed 2keti nannai. 3.tevita felikatau. 5.toni satini. 8john taefu.15 micheal pio.16.kaiser matavao and others named didnt play these are the only ones that played so that theory is out the window the truth is penrith have more white than people know.

stretch do you need to attack everyones post.Kilkenny was not negative in his assesment but purely said it was men against boys.This is normal for centreal coast boys.Simple fact centreal coast will not win many games in either ball or ball

stretcher

Juniors
stretch do you need to attack everyones post.Kilkenny was not negative in his assesment but purely said it was men against boys.This is normal for centreal coast boys.Simple fact centreal coast will not win many games in either ball or ball
well when i watch a game of footy teams dont win because they lack skill and ability and possibly size but why bring up pacific islanders as a reason for poor performance ive watched canberra for many years and they have big strong white kids that look very mature and should win a lot more games than they do but would they win more with islanders answer no why cant they say penrith were bigger,faster,stronger,smarter and better coached not blacker........

murraymob

Coach
well when i watch a game of footy teams dont win because they lack skill and ability and possibly size but why bring up pacific islanders as a reason for poor performance ive watched canberra for many years and they have big strong white kids that look very mature and should win a lot more games than they do but would they win more with islanders answer no why cant they say penrith were bigger,faster,stronger,smarter and better coached not blacker........

Stretch calm down.Get your doctor to increase the medication.Now since you where there can you give us your assesment on the games and another poster was interested in how the qld boys went heard pickup had a good one

you forgot to mentoin penrith matts, how many more then half the side.

CCCenturian

Juniors
Hey guys,
Well played to both your teams on the weekend, it really was a case of too big and too strong.
Came across your discussions and your topic of Pacific Highlanders in teams. I can confirm that there are 0 in the Harold Matthews but that is far from the issue. The issue is on going struggle between NSWRL and ARL with development on the Central Coast.Last year they made the semis because of the stability of the Melbourne Storm Funding.
The Harold Mats squad this year had won every junior reps tournament they had played in, including under 15 North Country Champions.
This years, for example there are a total of 10 Central Coast players playing for other Harold Matthews teams. 4 Manly (including Manly Captain Half and 5/8) 4 Newcastle and 2 for Balmain.

I wouldnt blame the lack of Islanders, i would blame the lack of depth of quality players,Nerves,Speed of the game, Giving up ball in your own half, completion rate of 27% and simple fundamental errors is the reason for losing.
Saying that After preseason wins over full strength Roosters and Norths i dont think they will neccesary be cellar dwellers.

Kilkenny

Coach

Your lucky you got a program, as when I arrived they had run out.

Names can be decieving I'd rather rely on what I saw with my own eyes and from my observations I saw no obvious kids of Islander origin in either of the Central Coast sides. Not trying to mislead anybody just providing some information and observations to those who weren't able to make the game.

stormy77

Juniors
Hey guys,
Well played to both your teams on the weekend, it really was a case of too big and too strong.
Came across your discussions and your topic of Pacific Highlanders in teams. I can confirm that there are 0 in the Harold Matthews but that is far from the issue. The issue is on going struggle between NSWRL and ARL with development on the Central Coast.Last year they made the semis because of the stability of the Melbourne Storm Funding.
The Harold Mats squad this year had won every junior reps tournament they had played in, including under 15 North Country Champions.
This years, for example there are a total of 10 Central Coast players playing for other Harold Matthews teams. 4 Manly (including Manly Captain Half and 5/8) 4 Newcastle and 2 for Balmain.

I wouldnt blame the lack of Islanders, i would blame the lack of depth of quality players,Nerves,Speed of the game, Giving up ball in your own half, completion rate of 27% and simple fundamental errors is the reason for losing.
Saying that After preseason wins over full strength Roosters and Norths i dont think they will neccesary be cellar dwellers.

I think the main reason as well is that there is a lack of quality coaches and support for the coast, thats why you are loosing these quality players to other clubs, you only have to look at what coaching staff left there at the end of last year.... and for the islanders it has become a game where do need these players especially as impact players as they can turn any game at any point, although you need a good mix because often they have poor attitude and tend to let throw the towell in a lot quicker then most...... which is a reflection on there easy going attitude....

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
other junior news important to penrith
harold matts
souths 44
western accademy 0

s.g ball
western accademy 22
s.alone.........1
e.tanuvasa...1
t.graham......1
r.regan........1
goals
j.petera.......3

souths..18

stretcher

Juniors
Your lucky you got a program, as when I arrived they had run out.

Names can be decieving I'd rather rely on what I saw with my own eyes and from my observations I saw no obvious kids of Islander origin in either of the Central Coast sides. Not trying to mislead anybody just providing some information and observations to those who weren't able to make the game.
well you need new glasses the prop for ball side was very dark skinned and his name richard aholelei convinced me but i guess you didnt see penriths front row was sam hollis,blake south,darcy horgan,backrower tom eisunhuth and lock dilan curtis all WHITE and i agree it was men against boys but u didnt notice they were white........

CCCenturian

Juniors
I think the main reason as well is that there is a lack of quality coaches and support for the coast, thats why you are loosing these quality players to other clubs, you only have to look at what coaching staff left there at the end of last year.... and for the islanders it has become a game where do need these players especially as impact players as they can turn any game at any point, although you need a good mix because often they have poor attitude and tend to let throw the towell in a lot quicker then most...... which is a reflection on there easy going attitude....

Yes i fully agree with the coaching and support, working with Junior Development on the Coast the feedback is appreciated.
We have a situation where clubs like Manly and Newcastle can offer our players with potential financial assistance and benefits to sign a contract and play for their club instead of staying on the coast.

*Sandy*

First Grade
CCCenturian would you be able to tell us what the Junior Development plan on doing in regards to coaching and support with the Central Coast Junior League boys?

CCCenturian

Juniors
There are initial plans in place with the Central Coast Bears along with incorporating the Highly Successful Central Coast Academy of Sport. Like any program its a process, funding and support is the key.

ashton

Juniors
Penrith Harold Matthews Round 2

1. Riki Willie
2. Joel Le-Guier
3. Joshua Walker
4. Joseph Mapusua
5. Peau Aleni
6. Ryan Casey
7. Jacob Maklouf
8. Jakiel Fuimaono
9. Jarrod Brackenhofer