What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL, Aerial Pingpong and Cross-country netball

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Since when is a English Rugby code Australian Football? I know you dislike the Australian game but don't pretend a rugby variant made by Poms is Australian Footy. LMAO

Someone doesn't understand the term Australian football lol. Easy to understand why, since fumbleball is restricted to three cities in the entire world and has been for its entire existence.

Oh and btw, fumbleball was created by British settlers in the 1800's. Seems pretty British to me champ. ;-)

Billy2Slater

Juniors
Someone doesn't understand the term Australian football lol. Easy to understand why, since fumbleball is restricted to three cities in the entire world and has been for its entire existence.

Oh and btw, fumbleball was created by British settlers in the 1800's. Seems pretty British to me champ. ;-)

Settlers who live in Australia, created Australian Football for Australians. Rugby codes were created in the UK for themselves and you've just adopted their rugby and slapped a football label on it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It was started in the late 1800s by Victorian cricketers to keep fit in the Winter so no doubt they had British ancestors

So you hate Australian football because you grew up in NSW, and because the AFL is starting clubs in your hometown?

I can't see how that is reason at all tbh.

And looking at your signature, it seems to me you're more interested in showing your hate for AFL more than your passion for NRL. Doesn't say much for your preferred choice of footballing sports.

I grew up in NSW and love NRL. As you would know League and Union place significant value on ball control. Drop the ball and its a turnover. To switch the TV on and watch 10 players scurry after the ball unable to pick it up, to me, it seems f**king ridiculous. This reflects their poor ball handling skills. Don't get me wrong I think AFL players are excellent at handling balls when their on Oxford Street, just not when playing sport.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing AFL. It is a great game to kick around with mates. But watching it bores me and I can't understand why some of these blokes playing are considered 'professionals' when they have a skill set of a munter.

Last edited:

Mad Fish

Juniors
Judd's the highest paid, on about $750,000.

Next year the 2 highest paid players will probably be playing in the VFL (second division)

They really are shooting themselves in the foot, imo.

Are you sure about this? Maybe this year but I can recall reading somewhere that Pavlich, Riewoldt and Brown will all go close to $1mil next season?

Plus in reality Hunt and Folau are only getting around 300-400k to actually 'play', the majority of their contracts is marketing based.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure about this? Maybe this year but I can recall reading somewhere that Pavlich, Riewoldt and Brown will all go close to $1mil next season?

Plus in reality Hunt and Folau are only getting around 300-400k to actually 'play', the majority of their contracts is marketing based.

call it what you like, they are still getting the money and some of it is outside the salary cap

eagles4eva

First Grade

Does it matter how their contacts are made up, still major coin per year

Mad Fish

Juniors
call it what you like, they are still getting the money and some of it is outside the salary cap

Does it matter how their contacts are made up, still major coin per year

Yes I am fully aware of this but I was more interested with the comment that they would be the highest paid players next year, which I wasn't entirely sure was correct especially considering I believe Pavlich is eligble for Veteran's Status next year which will likely significantly boost his contract to well over a million.

Regardless the pair will be, if the media reports are correct, amongst the highest earners in the competition.

Nevan_

First Grade
AFL isn't a very tactical or organised game. It looks like a bunch of Seagulls chasing a chip

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I am fully aware of this but I was more interested with the comment that they would be the highest paid players next year, which I wasn't entirely sure was correct especially considering I believe Pavlich is eligble for Veteran's Status next year which will likely significantly boost his contract to well over a million.

Regardless the pair will be, if the media reports are correct, amongst the highest earners in the competition.

if Ablett moves to the GC then he will obviously be the highest paid, but atm, these two guys are being offered more than Judd who is on $750K.

No wonder Judd is blowing up about it.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Judd is the highest paid player in the game at this stage, as Twiz said about 750k, but he does have a Visy contract that bumps that up to almost $1.2million per year.

As for the next best, pretty sure Goodes is the 2nd highest and Pavlich the one after that, with Brown a close 4th.

Aegil

Juniors
Don't get me wrong, I love playing AFL. It is a great game to kick around with mates. But watching it bores me and I can't understand why some of these blokes playing are considered 'professionals' when they have a skill set of a munter.

Here is where I'm confused. A lot of the NRL supporting AFL-haters claim that Australian rules football requires no skill.

While others claim that the players have no skill. If the game requires no skill, then surely all unskilled players should be able to play it.

Seems like you're just pulling arguments about our of a hat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Here is where I'm confused. A lot of the NRL supporting AFL-haters claim that Australian rules football requires no skill.

While others claim that the players have no skill. If the game requires no skill, then surely all unskilled players should be able to play it.

Seems like you're just pulling arguments about our of a hat.

AFL requires no skill. It's one comment you'll find from followers of any code, it's not something that only NRL fans think. In the US people who have seen AFL games refer to it as Calvinball, which isn't a compliment lol.

All unskilled players are able to play it btw. How else do you get nuffies who are playing Union in Canada (If he was any good at sport in Canada he'd be playing Ice Hockey or CFL/NFL, etc) make the grade into professional AFL in no time at all? He's not alone, there are butchers and bakers in Ireland who've come over and become stars in the game, etc.
Can you honestly imagine those guys achieving anywhere near the same amount of success in the NRL?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
AFL requires no skill. It's one comment you'll find from followers of any code, it's not something that only NRL fans think. In the US people who have seen AFL games refer to it as Calvinball, which isn't a compliment lol.

All unskilled players are able to play it btw. How else do you get nuffies who are playing Union in Canada (If he was any good at sport in Canada he'd be playing Ice Hockey or CFL/NFL, etc) make the grade into professional AFL in no time at all? He's not alone, there are butchers and bakers in Ireland who've come over and become stars in the game, etc.
Can you honestly imagine those guys achieving anywhere near the same amount of success in the NRL?

The only people saying it requires no skill would be those who have never played the game, Americans especially.

Pretty stupid comment to make.

Mad Fish

Juniors
All unskilled players are able to play it btw. How else do you get nuffies who are playingUnion in Canada (If he was any good at sport in Canada he'd be playing Ice Hockey or CFL/NFL, etc) make the grade into professional AFL in no time at all? He's not alone, there are butchers and bakers in Ireland who've come over and become stars in the game, etc.

In reality Jim Stynes is the only real 'star' to come from Ireland, and the Irish competitions are not professional, hence why they need other jobs. Its not as if a baker in Ireland has one day decided to come to Australia and play AFL.

Billy2Slater

Juniors
It was started in the late 1800s by Victorian cricketers to keep fit in the Winter so no doubt they had British ancestors

Correct which makes it Australian. To say it's as British as Rugby Codes or that a Rugby Code is Australian is absurd. (Which has been said in this thread).

maccattack

Juniors
Correct which makes it Australian. To say it's as British as Rugby Codes or that a Rugby Code is Australian is absurd. (Which has been said in this thread).

Victorian rules was/is based on the old English school rules of the day. It was introduced by Englishmen living in Victoria and has nothing to do with the games played by our original inhabitants. It evolved in one state of Australia known as Victoria and found its way into other states most notably South and Western Australia where it overtook the local forms of football due to the Victorians refusing to play by any rules other than their own. In Queensland and New South Wales the game was largely repelled due to the explosion of rugby league in those states.

Victorian rules shares the same football heritage as every other football code in the world and is no more unique than any other - not until they adopt the use of a square ball. It is not the result of a stroke of genius by ol' Bluey as he sat around a campfire waiting for his billy to boil while his cattledog licked the last remnants from the vegemite jar in the back of the Holden ute.

Modern day rugby league is as far removed from its original rugby form as victorian rules. With Australia being the dominant power in world rugby league for the most part it has evolved into its current form here in Australia. Therefore modern day rugby league is no less an Australian invention than Victorian or "Australian" rules.