What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL, Aerial Pingpong and Cross-country netball

crawfs

Juniors
I prefer to watch full contact sports like league, NFL, boxing and to a lesser extent union.
I've never been able to get into semi contact sports like AFL, basketball and soccer.

Semi contact? Basketball and soccer would better be defined as incidental contact.

The only time you can't tackle someone in afl is when they have taken a mark (or don't have possession of the ball as in all sports). Does the fact you can't tackle the kicker when he's lining up a penalty make league 'semi contact'?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Semi contact? Basketball and soccer would better be defined as incidental contact.

The only time you can't tackle someone in afl is when they have taken a mark (or don't have possession of the ball as in all sports). Does the fact you can't tackle the kicker when he's lining up a penalty make league 'semi contact'?

that makes about as much sense as being able to tackle an AFL player while he's having a set shot at goal

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
who's missing the point ?

I never said it was a semi contact sport, I just commented on your lame example

El Diablo

Post Whore
AFL also don't let you tackle around the legs

tackling would increase if they did making it more of a contact sport

crawfs

Juniors
NRL don't let you make contact with a player when the ball's in the air, in afl you can.

Surely there's a more glaring difference between full contact and semi contact sports?

Last edited:

AuckMel

Bench
I see my son come off the field in a whole lot of hurt week after week, so it's completely fair to say Aussie Rules is a contact sport.

haha

Juniors
I see my son come off the field in a whole lot of hurt week after week, so it's completely fair to say Aussie Rules is a contact sport.

Doesn't make AFL a full contact sport, there is more injuries in netball than AFL & league.

I would agree that there is minimal contact in AFL but it's not a full contact sport.
This is the main reason I think GWS will not take off in Western Sydney, that and it goes for to long.

The AFL are selling it as a safe minimal contact sport in western Sydney for soft kids and mums who aren't keen on the little ones playing a full contact sports.

No offence but maybe your son could do with a season playing league to prepare him for the brutal sport that is AFL.

AuckMel

Bench
Doesn't make AFL a full contact sport, there is more injuries in netball than AFL & league.

I would agree that there is minimal contact in AFL but it's not a full contact sport. This is the main reason I think GWS will not take off in Western Sydney, that and it goes for to long.

No doubt in my mind it's a full contact sport. Might not have thought so a few years ago, but my stance has changed after being involved in the game.

Whether GWS takes off or not I'm not going to pass comment on an area I know nothing about.

The AFL are selling it as a safe minimal contact sport in western Sydney for soft kids and mums who aren't keen on the little ones playing a full contact sports.

There is no doubt there is minimal contact from Auskick to U10 to U12, but from 14's up there is plenty, trust me.

No offence but maybe your son could do with a season playing league to prepare him for the brutal sport that is AFL.

None taken.

He played it for the first time this year for his school in the state champs. Scored 16 tries in 3 games and impressed some of the guys from the Storm who were looking forward to watching him play in the finals, unfortunately he broke his finger and couldn't play. It's probably the only way he can ever play for his country and it's definitely an option later on if he wants.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
to be honest I've played both and there really aint that much difference in physical contact, especially park footy

Swamp

Juniors
While there is a certain amoumt of contact in the game it is predominately off the ball stuff, blindsiding & king hits that people that are accustomed to true contact sports find the sport appalling. Living in an AFL heartland, the amount of utter bullsh#t I have been subjected to over the years about their 'real man's game' is beyond compare thus it will never be anything more than the grubbiest sport I have had the displeasure to witness. Why I was basically forced to attend a game last season & will never sit through another minute of the pap as long as I live. It is never shown in my house & the news is changed to another channel the moment the 'Sports' segment starts. Tough! It is so un-Australian of a game I instantly loose respect whenever someone utters those letters AFL.

Raiderdave

First Grade

I would agree that there is minimal contact in AFL but it's not a full contact sport.
This is the main reason I think GWS will not take off in Western Sydney, that and it goes for to long.

theres a sport already for these limp wristed types

soccer

& in that sport you don't have to be made look like a w@nker by wearing a tank top ... & shorts 4 sizes too small

AFL will not appeal to westies wether they be of an ethnic background .. for them its soft ( soccer) or hard ( League) & as for caucasian westies .... tough as nails as they are
nah
its not hard enough for my sister .. let alone me ;-)

GWS .. doomed to fail.

macavity

Referee
While there is a certain amoumt of contact in the game it is predominately off the ball stuff, blindsiding & king hits that people that are accustomed to true contact sports find the sport appalling. Living in an AFL heartland, the amount of utter bullsh#t I have been subjected to over the years about their 'real man's game' is beyond compare thus it will never be anything more than the grubbiest sport I have had the displeasure to witness. Why I was basically forced to attend a game last season & will never sit through another minute of the pap as long as I live. It is never shown in my house & the news is changed to another channel the moment the 'Sports' segment starts. Tough! It is so un-Australian of a game I instantly loose respect whenever someone utters those letters AFL.

THIS! I was waiting for someone to say it. Can respect their tradition and passion - cant respect their arrogance or their cowardly game.

djst

Juniors
To me it seems there is more of an emphasis or preoccupation with the big contact,big hits,being tough,or a real man as per say in League than there is in AFL.
Yes in AFL there is contact,and you have to be fit and tough and it does have a bearing on a game and it can influence the result.
But it is one of many elements of the game,which is important,but it is not seen as being as much of an important factor in the gamestyle or result as it appears to be in the Rugby League gamestyle.

Last edited:

Steyger

Juniors
To me it seems there is more of an emphasis or preoccupation with the big contact,big hits,being tough,or a real man as per say in League than there is in AFL.
Yes in AFL there is contact,and you have to be fit and tough and it does have a bearing on a game and it can influence the result.
But it is one of many elements of the game,which is important,but it is not seen as being as much of an important factor in the gamestyle or result as it appears to be in the Rugby League gamestyle.

Yeah different sports. NRL being a "front-on" sport where the ball only moves sideways will garner blokes with big shoulders and big thighs. Where's Australian rules demands not only running skills, but marking and kicking skills.. I never forget when i lived in NSW when we had "kick-to-kick" the NRL blokes "kicked" it straight up in the air (you know, that shitty rugby kick) and run under it like rat's up a drainpipe. Then i said (let it be known, i am a shithouse kick), run and kick on your non-preffered. *Crickets*...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah different sports. NRL being a "front-on" sport where the ball only moves sideways will garner blokes with big shoulders and big thighs. Where's Australian rules demands not only running skills, but marking and kicking skills.. I never forget when i lived in NSW when we had "kick-to-kick" the NRL blokes "kicked" it straight up in the air (you know, that shitty rugby kick) and run under it like rat's up a drainpipe. Then i said (let it be known, i am a shithouse kick), run and kick on your non-preffered. *Crickets*...

are you suggesting there is no kicking and marking in League ?

you should watch a game one day

Latest posts