What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, who's gonna stop the Dragons?

pantherz9103

First Grade
Sounds like you have contradicted yourself there.

That is not true at all.

Everyone tipped you to win. Only Brandy tipped the Panthers on MNF and the poll on LU was Dragons 80% to win. We were more understrength because your team has superior depth. Some people have declared you certainties to win the comp already so its a big win against the odds. We had to call on people like Simmons (admittedly he played well) but geez that was an ordinary looking Penrith side last night but they had a dig and managed to snag a win. The Dragons are still very much respected in the competition for their consistent form, Dragons fans should be flattered that their team is the new benchmark since the Storm got caught for rorting the cap.

Last edited:

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Everyone tipped you to win. Only Brandy tipped the Panthers on MNF and the poll on LU was Dragons 80% to win. We were more understrength because your team has superior depth. Some people have declared you certainties to win the comp already so its a big win against the odds. We had to call on people like Simmons (admittedly he played well) but geez that was an ordinary looking Penrith side last night but they had a dig and managed to snag a win. The Dragons are still very much respected in the competition for their consistent form, Dragons fans should be flattered that their team is the new benchmark since the Storm got caught for rorting the cap.

You didn't answer my question. You stated you are not reading to much into the game but then also stated that the Panthers just showed how to stop Saints. It seems you have taken quite a bit out of the game! I also still disagree that the Panthers were more understrength than Saints.

pantherz9103

First Grade
You didn't answer my question. You stated you are not reading to much into the game but then also stated that the Panthers just showed how to stop Saints. It seems you have taken quite a bit out of the game! I also still disagree that the Panthers were more understrength than Saints.

I don't take too much out of the game due to the personnel missing. But the styles of play were still similar and I've watched the games where the Dragons have lost this season, they found themselves behind and got frustrated in attack.

As I said, we had plenty of players missing too including our halfback who is the leading try assister in the NRL. In my opinion we were more understrength. Maybe you had more players missing but you're side looked better than ours on paper and was expected by some 80% of people to win.

mxlegend99

Referee
:? please explain that one for us?
Boyd, Morris, Cooper, Scott, Costigan, Weyman, Smith, Fien, Hunt

How exactly were you more understrength?
We weren't missing as many players. Although the players we were missing and the quality of their replacements IMO left us more weakened then the Dragons. Some of the Dragons replacements were even stronger then some of our first choice players (ie. Stanley > Purtell).

Saints have amazing depth. Although none of it seems to be able to cover the loss of Boyd. If you can keep Boyd, Soward, Hornby and Priddis fit all season you could cope with pretty much any other losses with the quality of their replacements.

maestro1

Bench
We were missing all our "ounch" players. The players that give us go forwrad and venom in defence.....Jeremy Smith, Neville Costigan, Mick Weyman, Beau Scott. These guys give us steel and our forwards struggled due to our steel being missing. The guys that filled in toiled admirably, but they were never going to win the "ruck" against your pack without our guys.

green, thorby, Greenfields, emmett, saffy would be lucky to make our starting 17 if Weymen, Smith, Scott, Costigan and hunt were available. congrats on the win, but i wouldn't be getting too carried away if I were you. Two dissallowed tries, a phantom knock on from soward that wasn't even close to a knock on (you scored directly from that). It was two tries each with goal kicking the difference........Gaz was way under done, darius has been our best all year. You guys missed lewis, petero, gordon and jennings, but the guys that filled in all had blinders. Gordon wouldn't have done a better job than Simmonds and sandor earl on the night. wade Graham is a far better footballer than your current halfback and was the difference between the teams tonight. Petero has missed a lot of footy this year and grant, cooper, mckendry etc, have been great substitutes for him. lewis si the one that cannot be replaced, but nathan smith had a very good game (except for some dumb penalties).

Goddo

Bench
We weren't missing as many players. Although the players we were missing and the quality of their replacements IMO left us more weakened then the Dragons. Some of the Dragons replacements were even stronger then some of our first choice players (ie. Stanley > Purtell).

Saints have amazing depth. Although none of it seems to be able to cover the loss of Boyd. If you can keep Boyd, Soward, Hornby and Priddis fit all season you could cope with pretty much any other losses with the quality of their replacements.

Agreed. I thought we looked weak on the wings too. Too much disruption to our usual 1-5 left us looking a bit lost.

Panthers deserved the win in horrible conditions. Looking forward to a full strength clash in clear weather between these two.

Asside, I thought Maxwell was abismal with the whistle. He had the assistant ref with him on the defence side for a lot of the game, because he seems unable to turn his head left and right, then makes absurd calls.

Worst ref in the game by far.

Last edited:

Doomednow

Bench
I think the "which side was more under strength" argument is pointless. Put all the missing plyers back in and the team dynamics for both teams must change dramatically. Im happy with the two points but our win over the dragons is hardly proof of anything, except that we might be able to remain competitive this year even if we get a bunch of injuries.

thommo4pm

Coach
We were missing Petero, Lewis, Jennings, Gordon, Walsh, Elford. We had to play with a halves combo of Burns/Graham compared to your established Soward/Hornby combination. You still had players like Creagh and Young. We were missing Jennings, while you were able to bring Gasnier into your side. You were hot favourites to beat us. I think it was a big win for us against the odds.

We were missing our entire left side attack.
We were missing 5 rep forwards, and 3 rep backs.
We had Creagh & Young....so?
Did you see who was missing from the pack?
You had, Smith, Waterhouse, Pritchard, Kingston, Bell, Grant, Puletua, McKendry. Not like you were missing a stack of forwards there.

Burns / Graham are established 1st grade players. Both play in the halves....and both have played in your 1st grade side recently and for a lot of the season.

Gasnier had all of 3 training sessions with our side, he was hardly expected to make an impact.

According to who, were we Hot favourites?
I don't think any Dragons fan thought we were "hot" favourites.

Even with the players out that you mentioned....take out Coote, Waterhouse & Kingston, then we are evens....how would you go without those 3 also?

Penrith won last night, deservedly so, but to say you were more understrength is a bit rich.

thommo4pm

Coach
I don't take too much out of the game due to the personnel missing. But the styles of play were still similar and I've watched the games where the Dragons have lost this season, they found themselves behind and got frustrated in attack.

As I said, we had plenty of players missing too including our halfback who is the leading try assister in the NRL. In my opinion we were more understrength. Maybe you had more players missing but you're side looked better than ours on paper and was expected by some 80% of people to win.

Merrin
Priddis
Thorby
Emmett
Creagh
Young

That's hardly a starting pack that would scare opposing teams.
They all try and are good players in their own right, but we had 4 starting forwards out and some of those blokes above wont be on our bench at full strength.

Have you looked at the games we've lost to legal sides?
Have you noticed how many players have been out due to rep duty during those matches? That might be a reason for what you deem frustration.

maestro1

Bench
I'm sure I heard the "Kogarah cough" last night.

For someone whose team has not competed AT ALL for 4 decades you have a lot of comments. At least wait until the Bunnies make it past week 1 of the finals at least 3 years in a row before bad mouthing another club. Bloody hell, the world has gone mad ............

Fein

First Grade
For someone whose team has not competed AT ALL for 4 decades you have a lot of comments. At least wait until the Bunnies make it past week 1 of the finals at least 3 years in a row before bad mouthing another club. Bloody hell, the world has gone mad ............

As a supporter of a club with over 100 years on the board as well as 20 premierships, I feel obliged to keep supporters of the newbie clubs in check, especially those with a litany of wanker supporters who support a club who've never won a brass razoo.

Sorry to spoil the music for you, maestro.

maestro1

Bench
As a supporter of a club with over 100 years on the board as well as 20 premierships, I feel obliged to keep supporters of the newbie clubs in check, especially those with a litany of wanker supporters who support a club who've never won a brass razoo.

Sorry to spoil the music for you, maestro.

You know it is dickh**ds like you who make me regret that I ever took up the march to have the bunnies re-admitted into the comp, but then I remember that the club has thousands of great supporters who deserved all of us to help them get their bunnies back. I've followed the Dragons who played out of Kogarah and still do, the red V and the emblem since I was 5 years old, without a break. The fact that we embraced Illawarra does not change anything except make us bigger and stronger. I'll be FARKED if I let a bitter bunnies supporter define MY CLUB.

Latest posts