What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Jarrod Croker choke ?

Did Jarrod croker choke when kicking for goal ?

• yes

Votes: 157 64.1%
  • no

Votes: 88 35.9%

• Total voters

natheel

Coach
voted yes, gotta feel sorry for the bloke though, but itll b a learning curve for him, he will practice those at practice all the time now on

Yeah unfortunately. Hard to practice that pressure outside of match situations.

Gus Gould said on the Roast that with Ivan Cleary, he came up with a system where Cleary had to nail 20 kicks in a row from various spots, in order to finish the practice session. Otherwise he'd need to start again. That's one way to simulate pressure, though obviously nothing's as useful as the games themselves.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always believed choking was never being in a game you should be winning comfortably, or surrending a supposed unbeatable lead.

Canberra were behind all night and were coming back, without their star/key playmaker.

It's not like they were leading 18-6 with 20 minutes to go in a Grand Final and managed to lose.

That's a choke.

Madunit, this thread is not about Canberra's performance, but Croker's missed penalty. He missed it because of nerves. That's what choking is.

Chook Herron

Juniors
It's subjective

Jarrod Choker is generally a very good goal kicker. A shot about 30 metres out a bit off from in front with a couple minutes to go to put the game into golden point. 99/100 times he would have kicked the goal....but he choked

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Madunit, this thread is not about Canberra's performance, but Croker's missed penalty. He missed it because of nerves. That's what choking is.
Every goal kick has a 50% chance of being successful.

If he missed his first goal attempt and kicked this one, would it still be a choke?

Seriously, I thinkt he notion of a goal kickier choking is a bit of a stretch.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Croker choked but players choke all the time. Even the best ones. They all choke at some stage.

But that doesn't make Croker a choker. A choker is someone who consistently chokes (ie. more than what is considered normal).

Croker choked but next pressure kick he might nail it.

Luke Burt has been one of the best pressure kickers in the game for nearly a decade. I can remember 2 occasions where he kicked the winning goal from the sideline in the dying minutes of a match.

But against the Tigers (that's twice they've gotten out of jail from a missed penalty kick) a couple of weeks ago he missed one right in front almost on the bell.

Did he choke? Of course he did. But he's hardly a choker.

I actually think that goal kicking is the one part of rugby league that is the most affected by nerves, because the player has a lot of time to think about it. You need to learn to kick the ball rather than the goal, and close out of your mind what is riding on it. Having all that time to take a shot can make your mind cluttered, doubt can creep in, you can start thinking about the result of the kick, rather than the process. I can't be sure that's what happened with Croker, but I'd think so. He would normally eat those for breakfast, from what I've seen.

andrew057

First Grade
Choking would have been shanking it horribly etc.

He simply missed, its not a choke.

Dragqueen fans = stoopid.