What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Jarrod Croker choke ?

Did Jarrod croker choke when kicking for goal ?

• yes

Votes: 157 64.1%
  • no

Votes: 88 35.9%

• Total voters

Danish

Referee
Croker choked, the raiders didn't.

Croker's miss was the very definition of a choke IMO. An 80+% kicker shanking one from 30 out and just a bit to the left. Its similar to a pro golfer missing a 6 foot putt on reasonably level green.

One thing the poor kid will get tired of hearing over the coming months is "you'll learn from it".... what the f**k is he supposed to learn?? Don't miss reasonably simple kicks?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I have a 50% chance of winning lotto and getting a BJ from Jessica Alba this week. I either will or I won't...

:lol:

there are only two possible outcomes for a kick for goal. there are numerous outcomes of a lotto draw. its not a difficult concept. we are talking straight random chance which i presume was madunits point.

Say in a 40 number lotto the chances of you sitting there and randomly calling out a number as the ball is selected and getting that correct is 1/40

Last edited:

ShaiGuY

First Grade
I feel bad for the guy... however, that is a choke... it's like a basketball player having to make clutch free throws. His % is quite high and he would do it any other day of the week... it depends how you define choking though. To some he didn't choke and I can understand that definition... however, for me choking is when you're expected to be successful at what you do but the situation gets to you. Still, poor guy, however as a goalkicker they are the moments you play for as well...

Timbo

Staff member
It's amazing how often goalkickers miss 'easy' (ie - from in front or near enough) kicks when the distance is slightly not what they're used to.

Was he taking a conversion from that angle, he'd have nailed it. But the extra 10 or so metres through him off. As it did with Burt and Thurston earlier in the season.

Kickers with pronounced hook on their kicks are prone to missing when the distance is slightly off what they're used to.

I don't think that makes it a choke, just something he needs to practice more.

Apey

Staff member
Two outcomes doesn't imply each have an equal chance of occurring.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Two outcomes doesn't imply each have an equal chance of occurring.

It does according to my calculator ;-)

The point is that chance is not a good way to statistically represent an event with human involvement. All four sides left have a 25 percent chance of winning the NRL grand final but the Dragons are more likely to.

dontbro

Juniors
:lol:

there are only two possible outcomes for a kick for goal. there are numerous outcomes of a lotto draw. its not a difficult concept. we are talking straight random chance which i presume was madunits point.

Say in a 40 number lotto the chances of you sitting there and randomly calling out a number as the ball is selected and getting that correct is 1/40

So by this logic...since there are 16 teams in the NRL competition, each team has a 1/16 chance of winning the comp. Are you implying the Sharks have an equal chance to win the comp at the beginning of a season as, say, the Dragons?

I can't remember my combinations & permutations maths correctly, but what are the chances of the Raiders receiving the lowest number of video referee referred tries 5 years in a row?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
So by this logic...since there are 16 teams in the NRL competition, each team has a 1/16 chance of winning the comp. Are you implying the Sharks have an equal chance to win the comp at the beginning of a season as, say, the Dragons?

By his logic, Storm were still an equal chance with 5 rounds to go.

Pete Cash

Post Whore

Yes each side has a 1/16 chance of winning the comp at the start of the year.

I am not trying to trick anyone here. It is the way the maths works.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
By his logic, Storm were still an equal chance with 5 rounds to go.

No, because the Storm couldn't win the premiership. They were outside of calculations. It isn't just arbitrary mumbo jumbo.

At the start of the finals series the CHANCE for any given final result was 1/8.

badav

Bench

Yeah i mean you would know wouldn't you.

Each side would have a 1/16 chance of winning the comp at the start of the year if the winner of the comp was drawn out of a hat randomly.

watatank

Coach
It does according to my calculator ;-)

The point is that chance is not a good way to statistically represent an event with human involvement. All four sides left have a 25 percent chance of winning the NRL grand final but the Dragons are more likely to.

If the Dragons are more likely to win how can all sides left have a 25% chance of winning? :lol:

simmo1

First Grade

You should probably stop talking about things you don't quite understand.

Iafeta

Referee
It's amazing how often goalkickers miss 'easy' (ie - from in front or near enough) kicks when the distance is slightly not what they're used to.

Was he taking a conversion from that angle, he'd have nailed it. But the extra 10 or so metres through him off. As it did with Burt and Thurston earlier in the season.

Kickers with pronounced hook on their kicks are prone to missing when the distance is slightly off what they're used to.

I don't think that makes it a choke, just something he needs to practice more.

Maloney missed one pretty much the same against Melbourne. I've seen Michael Witt miss them, and I dare say he was one of the best sharpshooters of the past 2-3 years.