What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Superthread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Pete

Referee
:?

If I'm not mistaken we're among only I think 5 out of the 16 teams never to have conceded 40 or more. You support Brisbane, who gave up several big scores in 2010, and saying Canterbury had no heart? The fact we only had -45 P/D despite being so far down the ladder speaks volumes IMO. Plenty of heart.

As for Roberts, he was injured for 13 weeks, and is our first choice five-eighth. What leads from there is a range of different halves pairings.

I suppose if you want to discount injuries as a reason for a poor season, substitute it with the word depth because that's where the club failed. 2011 seems a much better prospect with good forward rotation, and options in the halves.

Are you trying to say had Ben Roberts played those 13 games you would've magically made the top 8? Please, this is Ben Roberts we're talking about not Jonathan Thurston and his injury did not derail your season. The writing was on the wall in the earlier rounds when you lost to two struggling clubs in Newcastle and the Warriors.

I find it absolutely astounding Dogs fans would complain about injuries especially in comparison to the other teams in the competition who went without their stars at critical points of the season. To say the Dogs had an injury crisis when they had only lost Ben Roberts for any substantial period is a joke.

Tim you do make a good point about the Bulldogs depth. For the most part it did suck, especially in the forwards but I'd say in the halves you were pretty sweet with Barba as your second string option. Again why it leaves me bewildered that some Dogs fans act like Roberts was such a loss. It's not like it was anywhere near as bad as losing Lockyer and replacing him with Gillett/Norman.

simmo1

First Grade
Dragons lost their first choice hooker after 30 minutes. :cool:

Not to mention all the players they had out during the Origin period, yet they were still able to make the eight, and comfortably too.

There. Thats as close to a compliment I'm ever going to give the Dragons. :sarcasm:

Didgi

Dragons had the Australian rep quality :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Dean Young as their backup. Litte to no harm done.

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
Dragons had the Australian rep quality :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Dean Young as their backup. Litte to no harm done.

Priddis Dean's favourite player was our back up hooker, Deano only played like 20-25 mins there each game.

Dani

Immortal
Shortbread and diet coke. Breakfast of champions...

I'm broke and it's all i could find. The shortbread was very stale.

Fml.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Are you trying to say had Ben Roberts played those 13 games you would've magically made the top 8? Please, this is Ben Roberts we're talking about not Jonathan Thurston and his injury did not derail your season. The writing was on the wall in the earlier rounds when you lost to two struggling clubs in Newcastle and the Warriors.

I find it absolutely astounding Dogs fans would complain about injuries especially in comparison to the other teams in the competition who went without their stars at critical points of the season. To say the Dogs had an injury crisis when they had only lost Ben Roberts for any substantial period is a joke.

Tim you do make a good point about the Bulldogs depth. For the most part it did suck, especially in the forwards but I'd say in the halves you were pretty sweet with Barba as your second string option. Again why it leaves me bewildered that some Dogs fans act like Roberts was such a loss. It's not like it was anywhere near as bad as losing Lockyer and replacing him with Gillett/Norman.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make.

I'm not suggesting "having Roberts there" per se would've catapulted us to stardom. My point was about halves stability, which we lacked for much of the time Roberts was out with Moore trying a ridiculous amount of combinations, and favouring Green too much.

Warriors struggling? :lol: They finished 5th didn't they? :lol:

Actually coming back to Roberts, we'd started gelling just as he got injured - R6 and R7 wins over WT and Brisbane... and then we went on to lose 6 games after that.

I find it astounding that people can't try to find reasons a team might've suffered. With severely tested depth as a result of many injuries throughout the season - Ben Hannant is another big name example. The fact you're thinking you're some sort of authority on whose injuries can and can't be used as an excuse is hilarious. Furthermore, how is "big names players being injured" the only criteria for a team suffering injury problems? 33 players speaks for itself, the Bulldogs had random injuries to fringe players that meant even more had to be blooded. Admittedly toward the last few rounds it was blooding for the sake of it but most of the year it was depth-testing fringe injuries.

As for Barba... in hindsight you might make an excellent point, but Moore was right in suggesting he wasn't ready for the week-in-week-out rigour of the NRL, hence why he wasn't a superb halves option earlier in the season. You're forgetting he was practically a rookie this time earlier in 2010.

This "my injuries or their injuries were worse than yours" is pretty pathetic all-told, the only fact I argued earlier in this thread is that the Bulldogs used the most players in 2010, which is cold, hard, simple and real fact. I'm well aware the Bulldogs weren't the only team to be affected by injuries.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
i whip my hair back and forth! i whip my hair back and forth!

49433551.gif

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That may be the most awesome smiley/emoticon thing of all time... apart from

:crazy:

Big Pete

Referee
Warriors struggling? :lol: They finished 5th didn't they? :lol:

At the end of the day yeah they finished 5th, but at the time they were still gelling as a team and shouldn't of beaten your mob in that match. Totally outplayed once again, out-enthused etc.

I find it funny that Bulldogs use injuries as an excuse as it's a total oversight on what truly happened to there season and one of the biggest cop outs.

Yes, they played a factor...but s**t they played a factor in everyone's season and they truly only defined a few seasons. Not the Dogs.

Big Pete

Referee
Pretty sure Priddis has repped for Australia (albeit SL) and NSW (both SL and NRL).

Both actually, first ever test match I attended Priddis was starting in place of Buderus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts