What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mannah & Keating Re-sign

I think Keating's a solid first grader. Every club needs blokes like that.

Keating was ordinary last year, but so was nearly everyone else.

And whoever said he can't pass from dummy-half, mate stick your fingers in your eyes. If he couldn't pass he wouldn't have played 70+ first grade games at hooker and he sure as sh*t wouldn't have been offered a new contract.

What a f**king stupid thing to say.

Dude he sh*t, he doesn't have a run from dummy, he has no speed, he doesn't kick and his passing is crap. I've never seen a worse dummy half than him when he comes to passing.

The only good thing that Matt Keating has done in the last 2 years is score that very good try against Penrith in late 2009. He actually ran the ball. Apart from that he has been sh*t house.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thank f**k you aint in charge of recruiting and negotiations. Actually stick to providing stats.

I don't think you understand just how much money is flying around out there.

There are kids at some clubs on more than $200k who've never played first grade.

And less than $200k for a first grade hooker is absolute peanuts. These guys defend in the middle and touch the ball more than any other player. Even an average one is worth more than average wage ($130k + third party money).

boxhead

First Grade
Dude he sh*t, he doesn't have a run from dummy, he has no speed, he doesn't kick and his passing is crap. I've never seen a worse dummy half than him when he comes to passing.

The only good thing that Matt Keating has done in the last 2 years is score that very good try against Penrith in late 2009. He actually ran the ball. Apart from that he has been sh*t house.

He runs from dummy half quite a bit actually. People just don't notice because often he is throwing a lot of dummies.
He is adequate in speed.
I doubt it's his fault he didn't kick much in 2010. Keating has a very good kicking game and he would know that, only reason I can see he didn't use it is because of pressure both on the field and from the coach.
His passing is fine for a dummy half.
He's no superstar but he is easily the best hooker at our club and far from "sh*t".

He was brilliant in tandem with Kingston in 2009, you may not have noticed because Kingston was involved in the latter stages of each half when we tended to score more points; that's why I believe Keating will do with Mitchell in 2011, see out the first 20-25 of each half then let Mitchell come on for the easier stages to tear up.

Keating is one of the best defensive hookers in the game, and he's the type of player every club needs; solid, dependable, high work-rate, and some skill with kicking to boot.

Last edited:

There are kids at some clubs on more than $200k who've never played first grade.

And less than $200k for a first grade hooker is absolute peanuts. These guys defend in the middle and touch the ball more than any other player. Even an average one is worth more than average wage ($130k + third party money).

How do you know this?

Can you name any?

Stagger eel

Staff member

they are a dime a dozen..

the NYC sallary cap is 250K I believe unless it's gopne up in the last 12 months or so however there may be an elit a few that are on incentive deals which carry them into the top 25 sqaud and I'm pretty sure that Loko, Brien and O'Hanlon are 3 kids who have deals that could potentially earn them up to $150K to 200 if every thing falls in place for them. but I would imagine that they would have to take field at about 15 times in first grade.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
On Keating, obviously the coaches see something in him:

Smith and Taylor kept him as a junior
Hagan, gave him his debut and kept him in the side
Anderson had him as a starting making for most of the time
Kearney has just resigned him

So 5 coaches have seen something in him, that is good enough for me.

natheel

Coach
Kearney obviously rates Keats.....good enough for me. Can't see it being an expensive contract maybe around the 150 mark? Timmy would b on less than what he's worth he seems like that type of player

TheRam

Coach
And I'm sure Keating was fairly cheap. I doubt he would be on more than $200k-$250k. The top hookers in the game are on more than double that.

That's not cheap for a player who has struggled to stay in first grade mate and has failed to convince many of his one time many fans, that he is a decent player.

But hey, maybe SK, you and some others here, can see something in him (before he has even played one first grade game under the new coach)that the rest of us are struggling to. And I don't mean talent, we can see that he has enough of that to play first grade. I am talking about knowing how to put in together out on the field consistently.

But hey, maybe SK having a big head and all can somehow bring it out of him and make him a consistently good player. Time will tell.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Great news on Mannah. He is shaping to take the status of my favourite player when Hindy retires.

Hope Keating has a better 2011 than 2010. He really was out of sorts last year.

If he doesn't improve, I wouldn't be upset if he wasn't playing first grade.

That said, I rated him in 2009 and 2008, so he has something ... he just has to show everyone more of it.

spartan2153

Juniors
Mannah resigning is freaking awesome.

As for keating I have no comment.

I dont want to be attackes by the bullies

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gotta love the armchair accountants on this forum.

So what are you, an armchair journo or an armchair coach?

We know how much the salary cap is, we know how many players it pays for. It's not f**king hard to come up with a figure that'll be close to the money.

If you have your cap spread evenly everyone gets $130k. If everyone but Hayne is on minimum wage then he gets nearly $2 million.

The truth is somewhere in between. Forgive us for speculating on a rugby league forum you f**king knob.

Latest posts