What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla resigned to losing Kade Snowden to Newcastle Knights with Nathan Tinkler tak

perverse

Referee
i've been told that there is plenty of legal room to move for the Knights yet. Troy Palmer and Ken Edwards were quite adament, to my face, of this fact... and mentioned off their own bat that going over the salary cap isn't an option for them for risk of damaging Tinklers brand and other interests. he'll be running an absolute sh*tload of sports clubs soon, not just the Knights and the Jets. being caught up in a cap scandel wouldn't just be damaging for the Knights if it were to happen under his leadership, it would damage his entire empires reputation - and that is exactly what he's in the process of building, a sporting empire.

of course, the cynical counter-argument to that is News LTD, Melbourne Storm. game, set, match... etc. well, i can't refute that, i can only pass on what i've been told by people who would know.

The thing is with Tinkler, he can just as easy say to his many sub-contractors "give that guy $100 grand in a 3rd party deal will ya, i'll give it back to you in the next job", too easy, and Schubert cannot do a thing about it. Or, "what does your mum do for a living? She's a cleaner? Great, I need a cleaner for home, here's $200 grand for her"
all hypothetical, of course.
In saying that, good luck to the Knights, other teams have probably got away with it before, and I suppose if we could, I wouldn't mind.

RUBIKS

Juniors
Sign Bird.

No conditions, we get Snowy, we don't, we get Idris, we don't.... whatever, just sign Bird.

azzah72

Bench
I am unsure any props on that price are they?

I think Petro signed last year for maybe 350 - 400? till next year?

I remember it being something like $750,000 for 2 extra years or something?

Snow will be the highest prop paid in the nrl i reckon if he gets that money, i just can't see how the knights can and justify spending 10% of their cap on one prop? unless they are happy not to resign the likes of uate or mullen or something. either that or they are intending to clear out the lower deck and people like ciraldo are going to get offloaded.

Who knows.

Noname36

First Grade
^ The 500k is just guess reporting.

If anything most of Snowden's pay would come from 3rd party sponsorship, not directly out of the cap. Uate and Mullen are both on long-term contracts, and I don't even know if their salaries combined would reach 500k...so losing one of them wouldn't help. Actually it would be a tragedy, so I don't think Tinkler's plan would be to punt Mullen or Uate.

I'd be more worried that we're probably going to miss out on Idris because the Bulldogs (while signing new players) have suddenly been able to find over 400k for him.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
It is not against salary cap rules or does it come into the cap, for Tinklers group & sub companies to emply the entire Snowden family in the mining industry.
The first thing the IC has to do is remove the slary cap & bring in points based cap.
Tinkler is like politis on Roids, on roids.
Hes like the thoroughbreds with turbo chargers.
He's like Rusty crowes companies on the Isle of Mann, except Tinklers money wouldnt all fit on the isle of Mann.
Tinkler is the Pablo Escobar of the NRL. "Let me out of JAil & I will pay off the national debt"
He is uncontrollable & unaccountable.

Inferno

Coach
I find this talk of "buying back the farm" quite interesting. Supposedly wherever Benny goes, Boyd is sure to follow. If he ends up at the Knights, I wonder where it leaves the hometown hero Kurt Gidley?

Snowy isn't worth 500K, if Newcastle want him at that price, they can have him.

Re-sign Mannah, and Dougy to long term contracts, re-sign Vave, and we should just go out and by the best under 20s prop on the market.

However I also like the idea of Gall to Prop and buying Bird back. He is a vastly better footballer than Snowy.

Quigs

Immortal
Reefster, why don't you do what the Goanna Kerry did to that load mouth Texan years ago when Kessers party was making a lot of noise at a Restaurant States side. The loud mouth yank yelled at em to be quiet, and finished by saying something like "Don't you know I am worth 38 million"?

To which the Goanna just laughed and said, "I'll toss you for it"

What I am getting at is why don't we get you to get Tinkler riled up, call him a fat greedy selfish bastard, and when he goes off his nut telling you how munch he is worth, then you can just say "I'll toss you for it"

His millions against your insurance money.

Do it for the club Reefy, do it for the club.

imasharkie

Coach
I find this talk of "buying back the farm" quite interesting. Supposedly wherever Benny goes, Boyd is sure to follow. If he ends up at the Knights, I wonder where it leaves the hometown hero Kurt Gidley?

Snowy isn't worth 500K, if Newcastle want him at that price, they can have him.

Re-sign Mannah, and Dougy to long term contracts, re-sign Vave, and we should just go out and by the best under 20s prop on the market.

However I also like the idea of Gall to Prop and buying Bird back. He is a vastly better footballer than Snowy.

we did. the Broncos bloke.

I believe Bird is also on Tinkler's hit list, Snowden, Bird, Idris & Boyd.

Getting a old head might be handy, to back up Douglas who is starting to reach peak years for prop, we have Mannah & Clayton to support.

What is Asotasi's contract is he off contract not at his best at moment but could be very good signing under Flanagn, has a step and offload to boot

Talanexor

Juniors
You can't keep 'em all, and besides, your prop rotation is probably one of the best in the NRL, even without Snowden.

You'd be better off with a marquee hooker and a an outside back who can create something from nothing anyway.

The Popper

Bench
How the heck is Tinkler gonna get them all under the salary cap - if there's no rorts. Sounds like Wests back in the 1950's when they bought up big and were called `The Millionaires', but still couldn't beat Saints.

The Popper

Bench
Mannah is the key IMO, he's coming along well. So if Gal doesn't swap we'll need another one. If Gal does go to prop Birdy or another top backrower would be needed. The advent of the NYC and elimination of Reserve Grade has all but destroyed the possobility of a top line young backrower coming through the ranks. Years ago we had batches of good juniors coming through. Now there seems to be bugger all.

Ken Ebb

Juniors
If we keep winning it may sway his decision to stay. He likes the area and club and he may see the potential at the sharks with himself in the forward pack.

If not, so be it. Use his money and a fringe players to throw entirely at Idris.Rely on Mannah and Vave/ Clayton to cover Snowden and perhaps (if Idris signs) Pomeroy to back row or even Best to wing.

I don't think we'll get Idris. Winning a dozen or so games on the trot would perhaps enhance our chances. Realistically, Bird would be a smart buy. I wouldn't have thought we'd have to pay overs for him as I reckon he still has a soft spot for the shire. Hope he has grown up a bit though. Don't need a guy in our club who thinks his sh*t doesn't smell.

I don't think there is any point in spending stupid money on Snowden.
I reckon he's an awesome prop and I really hope he stays but all of our forward pack is tremendous and if we miss out on him is it really going to affect our go forward and defense? Probably, a bit yeah , but I happy to give the young guys Mannah/Vave/Clayton a go next to Douglas and spend up big on someone like Idris.