What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patterson told to look at other clubs

Johns Magic

Referee
Also it will be interesting to hear the commentary and see the fiasco that occurs with Pato now that hes manahed by Khoder Nasser.

They'll probably bring up that he's indigenous, and he'll pick up a lucrative snorkelling contract in Maui or something.

Alex28

Coach
I think it goes that if Pato and the club cancels the contract by mutual consent, we pay nothing from it in future years. If we are paying him $200,000 next year and another club takes him off our hands for $150,000 per year, Pato still gets $200,000 and we pay him $50,000.

A great shame. It's a bit of an embarrassment for him given he had us over a barrel being desperate to stop him from going to the NFL to end up being asked to go elsewhere. He has to be wondering what on earth has happened...

Johns Magic

Referee
99% certain Bird exercised a clause in his contract keeping him at the Titans(or vice-versa) for another year.

Nuffy

Bench
I'm thinking they must be pretty confident of picking up Boyd and Myles. They probably could have got Snowden with the guys off contract plus I don't reckon we've been on the cap anyway.

Perhaps they are cleaning house to keep De Gois?

Johns Magic

Referee
I think it goes that if Pato and the club cancels the contract by mutual consent, we pay nothing from it in future years. If we are paying him $200,000 next year and another club takes him off our hands for $150,000 per year, Pato still gets $200,000 and we pay him $50,000.

A great shame. It's a bit of an embarrassment for him given he had us over a barrel being desperate to stop him from going to the NFL to end up being asked to go elsewhere. He has to be wondering what on earth has happened...

You don't win premierships with soft forwards in your ranks. That is what has happened.

He could have been so much better, imagine him charging onto the ball like BK used to. Different moulds of players I know, but they are forward basics that you need and that a few fancy offloads won't mask.

Serc

First Grade
Shame, who knows, maybe Bennett is doing what Smithy did with Snowden, moving him onto a new place so he can be pushed out of that local comfort zone.

As for the salary cap, I think when you have the two parties coming to a mutual agreement for a release, then thats it, the contract (and its $$$ in the cap for future seasons) are gone. But in a situation with someone like Kaufusi, we are paying him the most out of his 2.5 years in his final year (2012). So if another club picks him up, with the deal being that we pick up the tab for most of 2012, then the Kaufusi $$$ will be included in the Knights 2012 cap.

Edit: Looks like I have ended up repeating what a few others have said, quick posting in here!

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Cheers for the clarification guys.

Unfortunately we paid him overs to re-sign from what I can gather/remember. His value on the market was equal to his potential.

Luckily Parra are desparate and flush for cash, hopefully they throw the big bucks at him.

Jono078

Referee
I get the feeling we're gonna see some memorable games from Pato this year now. He's basically playing for his future and trying to up his value.

PS Can't any other Knights supporter spell the kids name right? It's Cory Paterson ffs!

Haffa

Not surprised at all. He's been a shadow of the future rep player I thought he's be.

Anyone on twitter follow him and see how tangled he is in the Team Mundine mould. He stayed back in Brisbane to watch the Mundine fight rather then returning to newy for training/recovery etc. That to me was a sign of a bloke with conflicted responsibilities.

Offer him to the Gold Coast or Parra.

Yosh

Coach
Unfortunate for Patto... Wish you all the best.

Haffa how'd you get such an awesome sig?

Serc

First Grade
Knights give Cory Paterson permission to explore other options
newcastleknights.com
16/05/2011 3:10:58 PM

The Newcastle Knights today confirmed they have given back rower Cory Paterson permission to investigate other playing opportunuties at the completion of the 2011 NRL Season.
The former South Perth junior who joined the Knights as a 16 year old met with Knights Strategic Development Manager Keith Onslow last Friday who advised him of the clubs position.
“Whilst Cory's contract with the Knights runs untill 2012, it is best for Cory to explore all his options as it appears he may be in high demand from several NRL Clubs as well as the English Super League,” he concluded.
24 year old Paterson made his first grade debut against St George Illawarra in round 2 2007. He is currently out injured.
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/?s=article-display&id=36860

Johns Magic

Referee
LOL, he is now a South Perth junior.

Interesting to make a press release about something like this though.

Serc

First Grade
Yeah I noticed that wording and thought similar...had a quiet chuckle to myself. Be interesting to see the reaction by the public (and the angle that the Herald takes too).