What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzgerald v Parramatta

carson

Juniors
Agree spending $300k on legals for the $50k bill is not a great decision but you have to admit recommending $2M expenditure on Aristocrat software when the recommendation from your IT Manager is to not proceed and the CEO ignores the advice and to top it off does not declare his personal interest, well that is really treating members funds with contempt or as you put it like monopoly money.

I know which decision was more frugal and responsible.

And you don't in any way find it interesting that, in a clear anti fitzy article, that almost 3 years after the contract was accepted the only rubbish thrown at the contract itself was the opinion of an IT guy in 2007.

I would have thought that if it was such a terrible and corrupt contract they would have thrown some result figures at us showing what a poor decision it was.

Where does it say in that article that the outcome was a mistake?

bartman

Immortal
Like I said, dont read the papers

you have to know the bloke

he is a die hard footy fan like us
Zappia?

There's a reason "footy fans like us" aren't all in full time paid league admin positions. Just because he's a "good bloke" and a fan mean nothing in terms of forgiving his poor employment record.

Zappia was a car crash waiting to happen. No thanks.

Zappia?

There's a reason "footy fans like us" aren't all in full time paid league admin positions. Just because he's a "good bloke" and a fan mean nothing in terms of forgiving his poor employment record.

Zappia was a car crash waiting to happen. No thanks.

But Fitzgerald and Ovo employed him previously so he must be good.

Gronk

Staff member
Million-dollar cleaning job makes jaws drop

Tom Reilly

May 24, 2011

Denis_Fitzgerald-200x0.jpg

"The Emperor of Parramatta" ... Denis Fitzgerald. Photo: Tim Clayton

IT WAS an ''extraordinary'' suggestion. The chief executive of the Parramatta Leagues Club, Bob Bentley, was in the boardroom with one of his biggest contractors.
Across the table was Hamilton Guerrero, the owner of the Blue Magic Cleaning Services, who had been invited in to talk about the work of his employees.
But Bentley had a bigger issue to raise - the $1.4 million a year his club was paying Blue Magic. The new chief executive thought it was over the top. And so too, it is alleged, did Mr Guerrero.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Wilcox_Parramatta-200x0.jpg

Illustration: Cathy Wilcox

When told Parramatta would put the cleaning contract to tender, it is claimed Mr Guerrero made a pitch to keep his firm in the job. He said he could lower his company's fee by $600,000 a year, a source who was in the room on October 26 last year told the Herald.
"It was extraordinary, the sort of suggestion that just makes your jaw drop," the source said. "When does any contractor offer to slash their fee by almost half? Something wasn't quite right."
Bentley asked where the money from the contract was going if the company could afford such a drop. "We couldn't get a proper answer to that," says the source.
Mr Guerrero has confirmed his firm received about $27,000 a week from Parramatta but denied any offer to slash its fee.
"No I did not say that I would cut the fee," he said. "I did not have that conversation.''
Questions about the contract come after the Herald raised issues last week of corporate governance when the club was run by Denis Fitzgerald, known as the "Emperor of Parramatta".
He was the chief executive of the leagues club and football club for 30 years. On Friday it was revealed he advised the leagues club to sign a lucrative contract with the poker machine company Aristocrat, a firm in which he held $1.6 million worth of shares.
When the board voted on whether to sign a deal with Aristocrat, Fitzgerald did not make his financial conflict clear.
Blue Magic had been contracted since 1985 to clean at the club, originally for $3075 a week. There is no history that the contract was ever put to tender.
Investigators hired by Parramatta after Fitzgerald's departure have raised suspicions about the company's staffing levels, whether its foreign-born workers had proper visas and whether Blue Magic employees were being paid their full entitlements.
Parramatta admits it owes Blue Magic about $200,000.
Blue Magic ceased cleaning duties at the club in November and hasn't sought to recover that money.
Do you know more?
tom.reilly@smh.com.au
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/milliondo...s-jaws-drop-20110523-1f0xo.html#ixzz1ND47I0hm

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And the hits keep on coming, no wonder why we were 9 million in the poo with rubbish like this going on.

Last edited:
I can't believe we let this idiot run the club for this long!!!

If all these allegations are true I want to see him in the courts. Wondering what the old supporters of Fitzy still think of him now.

Gronk

Staff member
He's either incompetent or a crook. With all the cash spent on auditors and private investigators, I guess that they can't pin anything on him yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

cv8z

Juniors
He's either incompetent or a crook. With all the cash spent on auditors and private investigators, I guess that they can't pin anything on him yet.

Maybe it's all just coincidence
Surely no one can be that incompetent or crooked after 30 odd years working for an organisation you love :)
It appears the club are concerned more than 40k has been inappropriately wasted
It ain't over till the fat lady sings!

Stagger eel

Staff member

I'd like to think he's incompetent which in itself was alarming given that he was on salary of about half a mill a year.

mickdo

Coach
I hope the club follows this up 100%. You just can't be allowed to get away with corruption of the scale that is being alleged. Even if it ends up with not enough evidence for court proceedings (who knows how much of a workout the shredder had in the last days of Fitzy) then it is still the responsibility of the club to pursue it.

Ollie Webb

Juniors
I hope the club follows this up 100%. You just can't be allowed to get away with corruption of the scale that is being alleged. Even if it ends up with not enough evidence for court proceedings (who knows how much of a workout the shredder had in the last days of Fitzy) then it is still the responsibility of the club to pursue it.

Like to see all this to be finalised soon, cannot believe he allegedly spent $2M on Aristocrat, paid overs for the cleaning contract of approx $500k a year, paid his personal legals of $50k from the Club.
That's over $7M of Club money misused if you consider that the cleaning contract was overstated just for the last 10 years. Throw in the Parramatta Power debacle that cost $15M= $22M. Unbelievable! What else is there? It is obvious other senior management would have been part of the process, can see why they have been shown the door.

Bigfella

Coach
But Ollie? This case is just a petty vendetta by the new board apparently...

And spending a couple of hundred grand investigating and suing to recover the misuse of potentially millions of dollars is a waste of money...

Maroubra Eel

Coach
As bad as it appears, I think we'd find it hard to get back payments to suppliers. Even if they were paid too much.

Gronk

Staff member
But Ollie? This case is just a petty vendetta by the new board apparently...

And spending a couple of hundred grand investigating and suing to recover the misuse of potentially millions of dollars is a waste of money...

You couldn't lie straight in bed Bigfella. You are twisting my comments. I said that the club spending $100,000s on legal fees because of Fitzy drawing a club cheque to pay for $30k in legal fees for a defamation matter did not make commercial sense.

Suggesting that I take the same position over alleged secret commissions to cleaning and pokie companies is simply bullcrap.