What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Where Are They Now" thread

The Colonel

Immortal
St Marys were boosted with the comeback of former Penrith Panthers and Parramatta Eels second-rower Craig Izzard, who is also a former St Marys cop.
``He's still in good condition for someone in his mid-40s,'' Superintendent Filewood said.
http://www.blacktownsun.com.au/news/local/sport/general/cop-that-for-a-bit-of-biffo/1573577.aspx

544359.jpg

The Colonel

Immortal
<H1>Little big man stands tall
BY JOHN MACDONALD
21/07/2009 9:55:00 AM
OF all the little big men who have played rugby league, few have stood taller than Johnny Kolc.

Former St George halfback Mark Shulman and ex-English international and Cronulla half Tommy Bishop might stop below him, but there would be a centimetre in it.

Kolc stood 155centimetres in very big boots but that didn't stop him reaching the heights.

The little big man played 99 first-grade games for the Eels and was the scrum half in Parramatta's first grand final, the 13-10 loss to Manly in 1976. He also played in the 1977 drawn grand final and losing grand-final replay against St George.

Kolc subsequently was superceded by first Graeme Murray and then Peter Sterling but he was, and remains, one of the great Parramatta stalwarts and has worked at the leagues club for many years.

The diminutive one's career highlight came when he was picked in the 1977 Australian World Cup team.

Kolc stood taller than ever in the final against England at the Sydney Cricket Ground and one of his teammates that day was a lanky, sidestepping front-rower called Denis Fitzgerald.

It was Kolc's trademark feint from dummy half and 30-metre blindside run for a try that won the game for Australia.

Now 32 years on, the middle-aged Kolc is not the dasher of that day but he will have the chance to show what's left of those twinkle toes at the World Masters Games.

Mark Geyer has picked Kolc in his team that will contest the touch-football competition.

Geyer's brother-in-law Greg Alexander will be another member of the team, and so will referee Shayne Hayne.

MGs Maulers side will contest the mens 40-plus category at two St Marys venues from October 12-15.

``The Games are as much about making friends and having fun as they're about playing hard and winning medals,'' Geyer said.

``But I'd like to think MGs Maulers, including John, will have a red-hot go at striking men's 40-plus touch footy gold.''
A win wouldn't compensate Kolc for those grand finals, but would provide him with a few tall stories to embellish.
</H1>
javascript:changeFontSize('story',-1), post: "

http://www.blacktownsun.com.au/news/local/sport/general/little-big-man-stands-tall/1573573.aspx

544357.jpg

The Colonel

Immortal
<H1>Wise move for Bulls
BY MICK MCDONALD
29/07/2009 9:21:00 AM
Taree City&#8217;s return to Group Three Rugby League&#8217;s senior playing ranks took a positive turn with the signing of former NRL star Wise Kativerata as captain-coach for the 2010 season.
Kativerata agreed to terms last weekend.
He is currently coaching Muswelbrook in the Group 21 competition.
He played in the NRL with Parramatta, St George and South Sydney along with NSW Waratahs in Super 14 rugby.
Kativerata has also represented his native Fiji in rugby league.
Taree City president Ken Bourke described the signing of Kativerata as &#8216;a major coup.&#8217;
He said Kativerata is fully aware of Taree City&#8217;s problems of the past two years with the club forced to withdraw from senior grades this season because of a lack of players.
When he took over the reins at Muswellbrook this year the club hadn&#8217;t won a match since 2004.
Currently the Rams are in fifth spot.
Mr Bourke said Kativerata will be bringing players with him to the Bulls.
&#8220;Already he has a halfback interested who has lower grade experience with the Brisbane Broncos,&#8217;&#8217; Mr Bourke said.
However, Mr Bourke said attracting local players back to the club will be the main priority.
&#8220;We&#8217;ve gone down this path in a bid to make ourselves more attractive to local players,&#8217;&#8217; he said. &#8220;If it looks as though we are going to have a competitive team then I&#8217;m confident we&#8217;ll get players back.&#8217;&#8217;
</H1>
http://www.manningrivertimes.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/wise-move-for-bulls/1581097.aspx

Oscarman

Juniors
Anyone know what Brett Plowman is up to? Last time I saw him he was selling the doubles at Suncorp Stadium in 2003.

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
I used to have a footy card of Kolc, the one's with the light blue border.

What about TIm Pickup, he was small.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Anyone see the article in Sundays paper about Dennis Moran's dropout that went 65 on the fly, ended up trapping the fullback in his own in- goal for a line drop out?

Noise

Coach
Yep Moran did a dropout that went 65m on the fly then kept going all the way to the in-goal. He then trapped the fullback down there.

I think i read about that in the Sunday paper where moran dropped kick the ball 65m and tackled a bloke who regathered the ball in his own in goal. Is that what we r talking about?

84 Baby

Referee
Yep Moran did a dropout that went 65m on the fly then kept going all the way to the in-goal. He then trapped the fullback down there.
I read it too in Sunday's Telecrap. They said Dennis Moran kicked a dropout 65m that rolled all the way to the other in-goal where he tackled the opposition fullback to force them into a drop-out

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
Any word on how far the oppositions return drop-out traveled? Because that would add another colourful thread to what is already a richly woven tapestry of a story.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

I think i read about that in the Sunday paper where moran dropped kick the ball 65m and tackled a bloke who regathered the ball in his own in goal. Is that what we r talking about?

I read it too in Sunday's Telecrap. They said Dennis Moran kicked a dropout 65m that rolled all the way to the other in-goal where he tackled the opposition fullback to force them into a drop-out

Any word on how far the oppositions return drop-out traveled? Because that would add another colourful thread to what is already a richly woven tapestry of a story.

Are you all saying that Moran did a dropout that went 65m on the fly then kept going all the way to the in-goal. He then trapped the fullback down there?

Latest posts