What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Senior players

strider

Post Whore
i don't think all the shit is due to disgruntled senior players - several of our team are new to the club, I just don't think burt would have that much influence on them yet (maybe hindy would, he has more a NRL wide aura)

i think there are probably a heap of different reasons why we suck - and they are all aligning and turning us to poo

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'd like to put this out there - if Stephen Kearney is doing everything he can to get us out of this hole, and if he is actually doing the right thing (like his mates and players claim), and if the players aren't listening to him...What can he possibly do?

In this scenario, let us assume Kearney is doing everything right behind the scenes - coaching them properly, giving them plans, etc. but the players are not listening. What can a coach do, in the day and age of the salary cap? You can't exactly sack/demote a large chunk of the squad (even if they have issues) because you'd mess up your cap and risk a fine.

I don't know what the problem is, and I am starting to believe Kearney is not the man for the job. But the players - the players as a unit - need to take responsibility for their performances. Regardless of Kearney's abilities (or lack thereof, as the case may be), the players are out there making arm-grabs, missing easy tackles, allowing 3 offloads per set and getting belted with every run. The blame lies with the Parramatta Eels as a whole.

Bazal

Post Whore
In this hypothetical situation, IF this is happening...then WHY is it happening. Why can't the coach take control of his side? Either way, surely it comes back to him

strider

Post Whore
Mind you - I do believe Hindy is slacking off - I haven't read a story about a pizza night at his place f'n ages - he needs to sort that shit out!

I'd like to put this out there - if Stephen Kearney is doing everything he can to get us out of this hole, and if he is actually doing the right thing (like his mates and players claim), and if the players aren't listening to him...What can he possibly do?

In this scenario, let us assume Kearney is doing everything right behind the scenes - coaching them properly, giving them plans, etc. but the players are not listening. What can a coach do, in the day and age of the salary cap? You can't exactly sack/demote a large chunk of the squad (even if they have issues) because you'd mess up your cap and risk a fine.

I don't know what the problem is, and I am starting to believe Kearney is not the man for the job. But the players - the players as a unit - need to take responsibility for their performances. Regardless of Kearney's abilities (or lack thereof, as the case may be), the players are out there making arm-grabs, missing easy tackles, allowing 3 offloads per set and getting belted with every run. The blame lies with the Parramatta Eels as a whole.

i agree sure the players are losing the games but nothing kearney is doing seems to be helping and if he has lost control of the team then he has to go

Y2Eel

First Grade
In this hypothetical situation, IF this is happening...then WHY is it happening. Why can't the coach take control of his side? Either way, surely it comes back to him

As it did come back to Hagen and Anderson before him maybe the "side" has other issues why it cannot be pulled in line.. Who bloody knows!

yy_cheng

Coach
Bazal whats even more telling is that the master of structure the redv now also do alot of 2nd phase.

U see, da accidently changed the course of the game with the offloads and 2nd phase. A bit like ricky and his defense.

However da didnt know how to evolve it. All the structured teams them went on to add 2nd phase into their dtructure and it works a treat.

Sk wants to do it the long way around structure first. But we struggle with that and should go the way of the warriors. Instinct players like hayne, sandow, tonga will find structure boring and hard to abide to as it is not natural

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
i agree sure the players are losing the games but nothing kearney is doing seems to be helping and if he has lost control of the team then he has to go

maybe some of the team have to go. I read in a thread about Willie mason & how he has an attitude, gets some of the guys on side with him, undermines the coach & causes enough trouble the team can implode....do you think that could be happening here at the Eels? not taliking trouble-maker, bad role model stuff like Mason is said to be but the manipulation/mind game stuff because there's some other issue - like not wanting to be told what to do & how to play by a rookie coach? When its always been done different & the other (and perhaps easier) way is preferred?
I don't have the answer but something is deeply wrong imo with the players. Kearney is known to be a nice guy - should possibly play the 'bad cop' a bit more maybe, but surely that can't be the reason the team is not performing? The Melbourne boys had/have plenty of respect for him so if the Eels team haven't it can't be because he's too nice a guy ffs. How childish if it is. Do coaches have to be b******ds?
You want a coach who motivates & inspires - very hard to do if someone (or plural) pulls down what you are trying to build up all the time. It may be that kearneys niche is good cop to someones bad cop but ffs (again) I think some people might need to grow up, accept their lot & earn their pay. or alternatively (and the better choice) FO & let the guy get on with his job.

Eels Dude

Coach
if you are going to seriously claim that Justin Poore is worse than Roberts, Lasalo, Morgan, McGuire and a few others then I prey for your poor, deluded soul :roll:

on last night's 'form' Poore should be starting with Allgood....yep - Mannah probably needs a wake up call and a few games on the bench. Poore at least ran the ball strongly

You're kidding surely. Mannah has been our best player this year. Probably one of the only positives to take out of the year so far.

Grail

Juniors

Performance Manage them.
If he isn't sure how to do it, and it's not an easy thing to do when you're only new to having people working under you, I'm sure there is someone in the club who can assist in the process.

Eels Dude

Coach
Kearney may have some good qualities as a coach, but it's becoming more and more obvious he's not the right coach for us at this particular time. It's a big leap going from assistant coach at a club that's been consistently winning all the time he was there, to becoming head coach of a team that's struggling and needs that to be turned around.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Performance Manage them.
If he isn't sure how to do it, and it's not an easy thing to do when you're only new to having people working under you, I'm sure there is someone in the club who can assist in the process.

You're not wrong, and I agree. But I suppose what I am trying to say is if the players don't want to cooperate, there is little he can do. Sure, he can sack a few - maybe demote a few others. But it gets to a point where you've reached the limit of how many changes you can make.

Few years ago, a friend of mine, from an outsider's perspective, reckoned that the players rule the roost at the Eels. It's wrong - but as Pou said, there have been several coaches who have left under fishy circumstances in the last decade here.

All I am saying is it seems to me that Kearney is between a rock and a hard place. We have a situation at work where certain managers do not deserve their positions, an they do as they please. But the boss cannot touch them for undisclosed reasons. Sure, a good manager could step in and lay down the law. But the reality is it isn't that simple - if the people you manage refuse to cooperate, your hands are, to an extent, tied.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Your theory is well off.

If this was the case, then our best game so far would have been round 1 BEFORE Burt was dropped, not round 2 WHEN he was dropped.

What makes you think round 2 was our best game anyway?

It was our best result for points scored but we were playing one of the weaker defensive teams in the comp.

The Broncos are a much better side than the Warriors for the simple fact that their intensity and commitment is better. I thought we matched them well for attitude right through the whole game.

It wasn't until round 2 that our defence looked shabby and it's been f**ked ever since.