What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours thread

64 Dragon

Coach
Circumstances are very different now. Some high paid players have moved on or about to move on. Plus the salary cap has since been increased to $4.4 million.

Willow, I may be wrong, but I think the cap is now $5 million.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The link to the timeline is interesting. $5mil is a pretty big hike against past increases.

TheRev

First Grade
Unfortunately for us Luke Patton became very fond of the Bulldogs when he joined them even became a bit of a club legend there somewhat. I see a lot of similarities with Josh Morris at the Dogs he even lifts his game against us and enjoys beating us from the look of it.

- Patten was a bit different, I always liked him far more than Lee Murphy which he had to beat off, but he still had a few errors in him, and he was a total light-weight, I never thought he could be a great player when he was so skinny, and I still dont know how he lasted as long as he did.. but it was @ the bulldogs that he matured.

- JMoz - Was a great (and developing) player when he left, as good as BMoz, so nothing @ the dogs has really improved him, it was just inevitable with more 1st grade experience.

nrlnrl

First Grade
What if him going to the Sharks meant we got Smith?

As mentioned before, Jeremy Smith won't be returning to the Dragons - he's either staying at the Sharks or heading to the Knights for a re-union with Wayne Bennett. Don't worry about the talk relating to him not liking the travel to Cronulla or not wanting to move from Wollongong, he just wants the best deal, as it'll be his last.

Fire

First Grade
Heard a rumour, from a previously un-reliable source, that we (i.e., Price and the team) pegged the two games of Cronulla and Souths to get their season back on track. They've accomplished the first leg, just got Souths tomorrow. So apparently the boys are going to be 'very up' for the game tomorrow night. Expect fireworks (not fights, just bulls at a gate from the kick-off). I hope the wood duck who gave me the info is right.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Heard a rumour, from a previously un-reliable source, that we (i.e., Price and the team) pegged the two games of Cronulla and Souths to get their season back on track. They've accomplished the first leg, just got Souths tomorrow. So apparently the boys are going to be 'very up' for the game tomorrow night. Expect fireworks (not fights, just bulls at a gate from the kick-off). I hope the wood duck who gave me the info is right.

Take it from a reliable source (me) that we need to win em all to get our season back on track.

I like Fiensy's words the other day - "Win at all costs". Thank f**k for that. The situation finally dictates that we have to have a crack and take the game on.

Has the hangover finally been shaken off?

f**k I hope so.

Play you Curtis'. Play some farkin football.

I smell a bit of 96 in the nostrils.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I'm very confident that we win tomorrow night.

We are desperate and Souths are on a short turnaround. They weren't flash on Monday, Inglis is busted and Luke is out.

Regardless of all that, I think we'll come out firing.

Then, if we get it done. We are on a roll and we have confidence. With our defence and (f**king finally) a spring in our step........then we are on our way back.

TheRev

First Grade
I spose technically it isnt do or die, but if they cant get up again after being so inspired last week, the team will probably lose any confidence they needed to make any sort of finals run.

Our only hope at all is for some of the backline to find some late season form and combinations.

Fire

First Grade
Agree with you both Ronnie and TheRev. We should win and it isn't technically do or die. I've said it a million times but we need 4/5 from 7. If we win. It'll be 3/4 from 6. Fingers crossed. As Ronnie said, I smell a bit of '96.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
So we are meant to believe that Steve Turner, Josh Morris, Matthew Wright, McDougal, Perret, Inu, Hodkinson, Keating, Stagg, Pritchard, Halatau, Tolman, Ennis, Graham, Eastwood, Mitch Brown, Bronx Goodwin. That's 17 players which make up a whole starting side plus Barbar, Kasiano and Reynolds (only juniors they have in the squad) and they are under the cap. So its'possible for a club to go out a purchase 17 players and be under the cap?

JMoz went for over 300k (Saints from memory offered 275k and the Dogs offerd him more). Ennis / Stagg and Hannant went for a reported 1 mil package from the Bronco's a few years ago, Hannat has since left but I am sure Ennis and Stagg were on similar coin to Hannant. Pritchard one of the highest paid in Penrith, Hodkinson just won a Grand Final with Manly, Keating was taken like JMoz, they offered him more dollars than Parra. Turner and Tolman from the Storm (Turner a NSW Winger at the time) Tolman a Grand Final player who was being chased by a huge amount of clubs, Halatau - NZ international. Graham - best Prop in England playing for Wigan on huge coind. All these guys we are meant to believe move to the dogs on small coin to live or train out of the beautiful suburb of BELMORE. And since purchasing them have got Tony Williams on a huge contract and are still linked with players. The Gold Coast don't have that many bought players and they are the newest club to join the NRL. The Storm don't even have any juniors and have less rep players in the squad. All players they bring to the club are either past their used by date or not wanted. I have never seen teh Storm linked with players coming off contract. They usually get a player who is off contract.

Saints lose Boyd and Gaz and struggle to sign 1 rep player but the Dogs can sign a heap of them? Something just aint right here. Living in a place like the Gong alone would surely have some appeal.

Hoekstra

Juniors
So we are meant to believe that Steve Turner, Josh Morris, Matthew Wright, McDougal, Perret, Inu, Hodkinson, Keating, Stagg, Pritchard, Halatau, Tolman, Ennis, Graham, Eastwood, Mitch Brown, Bronx Goodwin. That's 17 players which make up a whole starting side plus Barbar, Kasiano and Reynolds (only juniors they have in the squad) and they are under the cap. So its'possible for a club to go out a purchase 17 players and be under the cap?

JMoz went for over 300k (Saints from memory offered 275k and the Dogs offerd him more). Ennis / Stagg and Hannant went for a reported 1 mil package from the Bronco's a few years ago, Hannat has since left but I am sure Ennis and Stagg were on similar coin to Hannant. Pritchard one of the highest paid in Penrith, Hodkinson just won a Grand Final with Manly, Keating was taken like JMoz, they offered him more dollars than Parra. Turner and Tolman from the Storm (Turner a NSW Winger at the time) Tolman a Grand Final player who was being chased by a huge amount of clubs, Halatau - NZ international. Graham - best Prop in England playing for Wigan on huge coind. All these guys we are meant to believe move to the dogs on small coin to live or train out of the beautiful suburb of BELMORE. And since purchasing them have got Tony Williams on a huge contract and are still linked with players. The Gold Coast don't have that many bought players and they are the newest club to join the NRL. The Storm don't even have any juniors and have less rep players in the squad. All players they bring to the club are either past their used by date or not wanted. I have never seen teh Storm linked with players coming off contract. They usually get a player who is off contract.

Saints lose Boyd and Gaz and struggle to sign 1 rep player but the Dogs can sign a heap of them? Something just aint right here. Living in a place like the Gong alone would surely have some appeal.

The way we use the cap has become a real source of interest on this forum, given the make up of our current squad and percieved lack of activity on the player market.

I'd love see a thread that had a go at a mock/hypothetical breakdown of the coin our top 25 would be on, but it would be no doubt be a source of conjecture, whilst most likley inaccurate.

If only we had a legit cap list. Lol

Cagey Mac

Bench
Trust me or don't here's two that I believe are fact.

1. Ben Hornby will remain until the end of 2013 and see out his contract
  2. South's are 1-17 on Saturday with the exception of Luke
All the best
Cagey

Elias1983

Coach
Agree with you both Ronnie and TheRev. We should win and it isn't technically do or die. I've said it a million times but we need 4/5 from 7. If we win. It'll be 3/4 from 6. Fingers crossed. As Ronnie said, I smell a bit of '96.

We will still have some tricky games after this week and next.

Tigers and roosters will be tough.

And we still do have the cowboys and warriors to play.

But, we beat souffs and storm next week....Suddenly there is belief, something Hornby spoke about a couple of times.

big pat

Coach

when did they sign bronx goodwin.

Fire

First Grade
We will still have some tricky games after this week and next.

Tigers and roosters will be tough.

And we still do have the cowboys and warriors to play.

But, we beat the souffs and storm next week....Suddenly there is belief, something Hornby spoke about a couple of times.

Agree Elias. Watching 'In the Sheds' it sounds like the senior players are loving the criticism. It's a difficult draw, but the thing I like about it is the boys literally do have the future in their hands as I believe it'll be us, Tigers and Warriors fighting for eigth spot, and we get to play both those teams. Fingers crossed mate.

Elias1983

Coach
Agree Elias. Watching 'In the Sheds' it sounds like the senior players are loving the criticism. It's a difficult draw, but the thing I like about it is the boys literally do have the future in their hands as I believe it'll be us, Tigers and Warriors fighting for eigth spot, and we get to play both those teams. Fingers crossed mate.

If we win this week and next, there;s no reason why we can't push for as high 5th.

I think top 4 is gone, but I still think 5-6th is possible.

Again, only if we show our true stuff and win tommorrow and next week.

Last edited:

Latest posts