What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

flamin

Juniors
The one noticable thing this year that I'm sure other ppl on this forum have noticed is the decline in tv ratings for Brisbane. Even an elimination final last week against their highest drawing side - Nth QLD - failed to crack 300k in Brisbane (only got 280k), whereas their wk 1 finals match against the much lower-drawing Warriors last year got over 100k more (389k).

Do you think the decline in ratings is due to the Bronco's average performance this year (performing well in the first half of the season, and crap in the second half) or that like Sydneysiders, they're bloody sick and tired of hearing Ray Hadley calling their matches (although Vossy did fill in on the odd occasion)? Maybe some Broncos fans on this forum could shed some light into this
Cowboys got better ratings last night. Granted it was Friday as opposed to Saturday.

Brutus

Referee
I dislike Hadleys commentating as much as everyone else on here but i don't believe for a second that is the reason for ratings dropping.

I wouldn't be so sure on that.

I know a few people north of the Tweed who cannot stand him and will not watch.

His Continuous Call Team has never been that popular in Brisbane.

It always gets beaten in the ratings by ABC Rugby League Grandstand in Brissy.

Billythekid

First Grade
The GF ratings will be interesting this year. They are pretty much going to come down to this weeks results. Basically having the swans or the storm in the GF will give the ratings a huge boost. If one goes through and the other doesn't that code will flog in the ratings.

Kinda meaningless but it does show the importance of these teams.

Neatoboy

Juniors
I wouldn't be so sure on that.

I know a few people north of the Tweed who cannot stand him and will not watch.

I live in Brisbane and refuse to watch Nine's woeful commentating of the NRL with the likes of Hadley and Gus. Thankfully there are other ways to watch the NRL.

Billythekid

First Grade
9 should put the Storm on their main channel in Melbourne on Friday

It's pathetic that there is even a chance that this won't happen. I probably asked this already but i really hope that is one of the things stipulated in the next contract. We need to get the storm games broadcast into Melbourne to grow the game their.

The lack of coverage has stunted the storms growth as well as the potential growth in ratings there.

forward pass

Coach
So the 'non-league states' get to watch the game in HD and those of us in NSW and QLD have to watch in SD?

Hmmm..... does anyone see a problem here?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Mate check last fri and sat subscription tv figures for afl

One game got around 390000 one got around 420000

I cant be f**ked finding the link im on a phone

We f**ked up not simulcasting. The end

El Diablo

Post Whore
the numbers are in the above links you dickhead

2 games have had 400k. 2 games only

now explain how 2 out of 6 equals every game

and quit with your simulcasting bullshit seeing it has not been reported once that was even offered

you are the only f**k up around here

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL should have stipulated all finals games live on main channels nationally. It's not too much to ask is it? The audience difference between GEM and Ch9 is significant in terms of the casual viewer tuning in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I reckon Foxtel values exclusive slots over simulcasting. I doubt they asked for it for the NRL.

I would think they would value showing every game live and a selection exclusive more! What would make you buy a subscription to Fox? How about every NRL game live and uninterrupted? They say they have reached saturation in NSW and Q'land, rubbish I say! There are a lot more NRL fans without Fox still.

El Diablo

Post Whore
NRL should have stipulated all finals games live on main channels nationally. It's not too much to ask is it? The audience difference between GEM and Ch9 is significant in terms of the casual viewer tuning in.
in comes the whinger

7 news Sydney said the they will be showing the Swans on 7 Mate in Sydney on Friday night

you're always sucking Demetriou's c**k telling us how good he is so can you please explain that?