What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL expansion being dropped from agenda until at least 2015

docbrown

Coach
dumbtheresachance.gif

:lol:

The 9th game will be worth $$$ in 2017, especially now they're free of F&LR.

Just how many $$$ though depends on whether or not it's an already established product. I'd rather see them invest $50 million on expansion before 2017 so they can gain an extra $100-$150 million later on.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Juniors
Anybody who believes that a 9th game has no value seriously needs to think about it a bit more. Haven't you been paying attention through the whole Channel 9 debt crisis saga about just how damned important the NRL is to 9?

Since the last deal we went from 7 games to 8 games after the Titans came in and we're now looking at a total package around the $1.025 with another $200m+ still to come.

When the next auction comes around does anyone seriously think the networks are going to say - hey well there's this 9th game but we don't really want that so we'll let one of the other guys have it for pennies...?

The whole "9th game has no value" is pure spin to get you to buy into the no expansion agenda.

If you want to achieve full value for money from the 9th game then it needs to be brought in before this deal concludes for at least 1 year but preferably 3 years so there is an established track record for it.

They will get money for a 9th game in 2017 but they will get more money for it in 2017 if it's been proven for 1-3 years.

I'll wait till I see the NRL's official announcement but if the "we're not even going to talk about it until 2015 date" is true then at best by the time tenders etc are completed you'd at most only see a 9th game in 2017 but more than likely not until the next deal starts. Big mistake.

Even if they're not read to discuss it now surely starting the research phase now means that they could have a year or two to get the rest of their house in order to make a decision in early 2014 instead, finalise tenders mid 2014 to get to teams organised over July 2014 to February 2016 in order for the 9th game to start in at least 2016 season.

Agree 100% your thoughts on 9th game value....of couse it adds value to the game - if they use that its an excuse.

This is precisely the position of Bears speculation - minimal cost/low risk expansion pre-next deal for a year or two to ensure a bumped up TV deal which would allow additional expansion in the subsequent deal. The only way that could happen is Bears plus a SEQ team out of Suncorp - not my preferred outcome, but thats the Bears best case scenario at this stage it appears....will see what happens next week.

If they announce no strategic direction re expansion, and just state we'll begin looking at it again in 2015, there will be some very pissed off bid teams.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Agree 100% your thoughts on 9th game value....of couse it adds value to the game - if they use that its an excuse.

This is precisely the position of Bears speculation - minimal cost/low risk expansion pre-next deal for a year or two to ensure a bumped up TV deal which would allow additional expansion in the subsequent deal. The only way that could happen is Bears plus a SEQ team out of Suncorp - not my preferred outcome, but thats the Bears best case scenario at this stage it appears....will see what happens next week.

If they announce no strategic direction re expansion, and just state we'll begin looking at it again in 2015, there will be some very pissed off bid teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few said we can't afford to keep propping up our bids without results like this and give up. Also ARLC will have a lot of very pissed off fans such as yourself and Perth Red.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It will be interesting to see if we ditch the sg ball team if expansion is off the table. Be a shame but I don't see why we should spend our resources producing players for the NRL. Reckon WA govt is going to pissed as well given the line they have been spun. RL credibility in WA is about to take a big hit sadly. Western Farce will be popping the champagne corks.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It will be interesting to see if we ditch the sg ball team if expansion is off the table. Be a shame but I don't see why we should spend our resources producing players for the NRL. Reckon WA govt is going to pissed as well given the line they have been spun. RL credibility in WA is about to take a big hit sadly. Western Farce will be popping the champagne corks.

That would be a bad idea. If the WARL can get just one player form WA to the NRL that would be huge publicity, imagine the headlines in Perth "First WA born NRL player", that would be huge for the Pirates bid and it may also cause a ratings spike for NRL games in WA just form the novelty factor which would also be good for the bid.

adamkungl

Immortal
That would be a bad idea. If the WARL can get just one player form WA to the NRL that would be huge publicity, imagine the headlines in Perth "First WA born NRL player", that would be huge for the Pirates bid and it may also cause a ratings spike for NRL games in WA just form the novelty factor which would also be good for the bid.

WA already has players in the NRL...

bender

Juniors

It wouldnt be the first WA born NRL player, would it?

LESStar58

Referee
I'm kind of over this whole "will they, wont they" expansion rubbish. Sure, with another 3 years before it's back on the table all the bid teams will be able to state their case but they've been doing that since Adam was a boy. In the meantime, people and companies who have pledged their support to the bids are walking away.

The ARLC are even more on the fence with expansion that Gallop was and he was an incompetent dickweed so what does that say about the IC?

docbrown

Coach
ffs the commission hasnt said anything yet, it is a story in the telegraph. people also said we wouldnt get a billion dollars

Good point and like I said I'll be waiting to hear the details of the announcement. If what's been reported is confirmed to be true though then I do have to say it is a bit short sighted.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Will be interesting, if true they have obviously leaked it for some reason, if not then the tele could have got the wrong end of a rumour and it could be they are expanding on 2015, they are going to choose the two teams in 2015 or they are going to call for bids in 2015. Time will tell.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The head of Brisbane Bombers’ bid to join the National Rugby League competition has called on the ARLC to give clear direction on where the next team will be based, even if they intend delaying expansion talks until 2015.

Craig Davison said he expected a clarification statement from the ARLC soon, which reports suggest will put off expansion until the 2017 or 2018 season with talks to begin in three years.

Seven bids are operating at different levels of intensity and Davison said the ARLC should narrow the focus to save unnecessary costs for bids he believes don’t stand a chance.

“I hope they come out immediately and at least give some direction to areas,” Davison told SBI on Friday. “It’s fanciful to think that any small town can get an expansion team. It needs to go to a metropolis, and Brisbane is the obvious choice.

“So do they make a statement now and say what areas expansion is going to be in or do they just let Central Coast and Central Queensland just keep spending money?

“I think it’s insane to have all these different bidding areas spending money when only one area seems to make sense from a commercial perspective.

“They should come out now and say if we expand when we expand it will be in this area and all the other guys pack your bags away.”

Davison said Brisbane was the obvious choice if the ARLC goes to one extra team, with Perth next in line after that. He said he accepted that further bids might come into Brisbane to challenge the Bombers but believed the bid had strong footholds.

“I’d expect various other teams to put their hands out,” he said. “But the clarification needs to be simply if they do it, where. They already must know what areas, they’re smart people, they’ve had some advice, and it’s obvious, when you talk to the Channel Nines, where a team is going to be. It’s going to be Brisbane.”

John Sackson, chief of the West Coast Pirates, told SBI: “We remain extremely optimistic that Perth will be the home of a sustainable and successful NRL franchise.”

Sackson said the bid had been prepared for the projected timetable.

“The writing was on the wall when the TV deal was announced and the broadcasters seemingly placed no additional value on an extra weekly game,” Sackson said. “But on a a positive note,we can now plan accordingly for the future. It has been very frustrating working with all the uncertainty and misleading speculation.

“I am assured that WA has been identified as a top priority development market and that extra focus, resources and supportive initiatives will be injected into the state to help the WARL continue to grow the game in what is an extremely fertile location for future expansion.”

He said the ARLC showed its commitment to the region by scheduling three NRL fixtures for Perth in 2013.

Sackson said the West Coast Pirates brand has been passionately embraced by stakeholders of the game, “based on impressive membership numbers, merchandise sales and positive social media activity, all of which have far outstripped the performance of our previous WA Reds brand.”

http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au...lc-must-narrow-focus-to-stop-insane-spending/

Perth Red

Post Whore

You mean like the Goodwin boys, jon green, cory Paterson, Daniel holdsworth etc. we haven't produced a star player yet but Curtis rona may turn out to be wa's first SOO player.

As long as the arlc fund sg ball pirates then happy to see us continue, if it is coming out of warl funds then that money could be spent better on bigger jnr development programmes IMO.

Perth Red

Post Whore

You clearly know nothing of the "rugby" scene in WA and the battle between union and league for the same Jnr's.

With no hope of an NRL team I can see many league fans going to watch the farce as even union is better than following afl for many.

The head of Brisbane Bombers? bid to join the National Rugby League competition has called on the ARLC to give clear direction on where the next team will be based, even if they intend delaying expansion talks until 2015.

Craig Davison said he expected a clarification statement from the ARLC soon, which reports suggest will put off expansion until the 2017 or 2018 season with talks to begin in three years.

Seven bids are operating at different levels of intensity and Davison said the ARLC should narrow the focus to save unnecessary costs for bids he believes don?t stand a chance.

?I hope they come out immediately and at least give some direction to areas,? Davison told SBI on Friday. ?It?s fanciful to think that any small town can get an expansion team. It needs to go to a metropolis, and Brisbane is the obvious choice.

?So do they make a statement now and say what areas expansion is going to be in or do they just let Central Coast and Central Queensland just keep spending money?

?I think it?s insane to have all these different bidding areas spending money when only one area seems to make sense from a commercial perspective.

?They should come out now and say if we expand when we expand it will be in this area and all the other guys pack your bags away.?

Davison said Brisbane was the obvious choice if the ARLC goes to one extra team, with Perth next in line after that. He said he accepted that further bids might come into Brisbane to challenge the Bombers but believed the bid had strong footholds.

?I?d expect various other teams to put their hands out,? he said. ?But the clarification needs to be simply if they do it, where. They already must know what areas, they?re smart people, they?ve had some advice, and it?s obvious, when you talk to the Channel Nines, where a team is going to be. It?s going to be Brisbane.?

John Sackson, chief of the West Coast Pirates, told SBI: ?We remain extremely optimistic that Perth will be the home of a sustainable and successful NRL franchise.?

Sackson said the bid had been prepared for the projected timetable.

?The writing was on the wall when the TV deal was announced and the broadcasters seemingly placed no additional value on an extra weekly game,? Sackson said. ?But on a a positive note,we can now plan accordingly for the future. It has been very frustrating working with all the uncertainty and misleading speculation.

?I am assured that WA has been identified as a top priority development market and that extra focus, resources and supportive initiatives will be injected into the state to help the WARL continue to grow the game in what is an extremely fertile location for future expansion.?

He said the ARLC showed its commitment to the region by scheduling three NRL fixtures for Perth in 2013.

Sackson said the West Coast Pirates brand has been passionately embraced by stakeholders of the game, ?based on impressive membership numbers, merchandise sales and positive social media activity, all of which have far outstripped the performance of our previous WA Reds brand.?

http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au...lc-must-narrow-focus-to-stop-insane-spending/

Davison is the biggest f**khead that there is bar none. Why take shots at central Queensland and Central Coast specifically? Why because we actually have proper sponsors, fans, community support? This arrogant pig looking crack head needs to punched upside the head.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He's been spinning the same line since day one of his bid, Perth and Brisbane. I heard a rumour he even approached the warl about putting in a joint bid together for the two cities.