What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What other sports do you forumites follow?

EelsFan05

Bench
Motorsports - Any kind specifically the immortal Bathurst 1000.
NBA - Miami Heat (a team I support that actually wins).
MLB - Boston Red Sox.
EPL - Liverpool.
A League - Wanderers.

eels_fan

First Grade
EPL - Liverpool
A-League - Wanderer's
NBA - Lakers or anyone playing Miami
MLB - Yankees
NBL - razorbacks (goonnnee)
NHL - Anaheim
NFL - Dolphins
AFL - Swans
Union - Reds

Chipmunk

Coach
college is huge, massive - michigan and USC average 90,000 per game or possible more, the crowds they get shit on every other sport

Wish i grew up in the US and went to college, i would've been a QB and wore my RJ college jacket with style

Even the word Massive for College Football I think is an understatement.

I use to coach league for many years. I think if I lived in the USA I wouldve stuck with coaching, there is so much more opportunities to make a living out of coaching sport than here in Australia. Even High School coaching is a paid job, where here it is pretty much all volunteer until you make it to the elite level. After a while over here I got over spending more hours coaching teams than I did in my job at work and not getting a cent for it.

I mate of mine had his old crap XE Falcon Stationwagon stolen whilst he was living in Charny...Twice! Once from his carport next to the house...whilst he was inside the house! The second time it was stolen from the Shell garage whilst it was being repaired! His missus rung him up one day and said "I think I just saw your car on Hayden Dr near UC", he went out there and had a look and there it was....on the side of the road. He rung up the garage and said "How is the car going?", the guy responded with, "Oh, didnt you come and pick it up?", My mate asked "Are my car keys still there?", the guys said "Yeah"....my mate responded "So how the F$%^ would I have picked up my car!"...

What a dump....

Yeh, that about sums it up. Most Charny-ites have a second set of keys stashed under the wheel rim, just in case they give their keys to their mates to stop them driving when they've had 2 bottles of bourbon....and change their mind (sad, but true story).

Ron Jeremy

Coach
This is the mob from Ann Arbor isnt it? With the 107k seat Stadium that's been sold out for the last 10 years for every home game?

As I say, Im fascinated by College Football...there is no competition like it anywhere else in the world.

bighouse.jpg

yup ;) college is awesome, people talk up athletes like Greg Inglis over here - literally hundreds of them in college

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Even the word Massive for College Football I think is an understatement.

I use to coach league for many years. I think if I lived in the USA I wouldve stuck with coaching, there is so much more opportunities to make a living out of coaching sport than here in Australia. Even High School coaching is a paid job, where here it is pretty much all volunteer until you make it to the elite level. After a while over here I got over spending more hours coaching teams than I did in my job at work and not getting a cent for it.

yeah so true, no words to describe it, so many fanatical college fans too, over there people are so proud of there university, over here no one cares where they go.

very hard to coach NFL because of all the inticricies involved - it is not like league or soccer where you really dont need much of a game plan, over there the plans are huge, even the learning side of things and players learnign there 6 inch play books requires some sort of brains.

I f**king hate terry hill, a draft would be amazing for league and would give players atleast an education before hand

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I would have thought their crowds would be alot bigger than that.

Considering our population is only 7% of theirs, it's not that good really.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yeh, that about sums it up. Most Charny-ites have a second set of keys stashed under the wheel rim, just in case they give their keys to their mates to stop them driving when they've had 2 bottles of bourbon....and change their mind (sad, but true story).

That would be the very few Charny-ites that have their own car, rather than the ones that have stolen it.

Chipmunk

Coach
yeah so true, no words to describe it, so many fanatical college fans too, over there people are so proud of there university, over here no one cares where they go.

very hard to coach NFL because of all the inticricies involved - it is not like league or soccer where you really dont need much of a game plan, over there the plans are huge, even the learning side of things and players learnign there 6 inch play books requires some sort of brains.

I f**king hate terry hill, a draft would be amazing for league and would give players atleast an education before hand

But a draft here isnt going to change the education level of players. With the current under 20s setup you would have to draft players to play in your Under 20s. Also when you look at other drafts, like NFL or AFL, neither organistions has an Under 20s, Under 18s or Under 16s... So...if you have a draft, where do you draft your players from in the NRL? Why should teams have to draft their "own players". If there was a draft why would clubs like Parra and Penrith bother spending money on juniors when Melbourne and Manly dont have to?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I would have thought their crowds would be alot bigger than that.

Considering our population is only 7% of theirs, it's not that good really.

Green Bay has a population of 90,000, sold out every game since 1973 (70,000+ stadium), Buffalo New york is smaller in pop then newcastle - yet 70,000+ to each game- no need to be bitter because it embarrases league.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
But a draft here isnt going to change the education level of players. With the current under 20s setup you would have to draft players to play in your Under 20s. Also when you look at other drafts, like NFL or AFL, neither organistions has an Under 20s, Under 18s or Under 16s... So...if you have a draft, where do you draft your players from in the NRL? Why should teams have to draft their "own players". If there was a draft why would clubs like Parra and Penrith bother spending money on juniors when Melbourne and Manly dont have to?

juniors is so dumb, we migth as well abolish it as it hasn't helped us ever by having a huge base? make players go to uni get an education before they hit the big time, insteaf of just picking them up of the streets of the west and throwing them into first grade.

Chipmunk

Coach

I f**king hate terry hill, a draft would be amazing for league and would give

players atleast an education before hand

I went to a College Bowl game a couple of years ago. Not one of the Big 4 Bowls, but just an end of season game. It was played in Phoenix, Arizona and Iowa played Oklahamo, so essentially, NSW played VIC in Adelaide, but there was stlll 55k at the game. Great atmosphere, great experience.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I went to a College Bowl game a couple of years ago. Not one of the Big 4 Bowls, but just an end of season game. It was played in Phoenix, Arizona and Iowa played Oklahamo, so essentially, NSW played VIC in Adelaide, but there was stlll 55k at the game. Great atmosphere, great experience.

oh was it the sooners? they are a big time college team, probably bigger then LSU and USC

Chipmunk

Coach
oh was it the sooners? they are a big time college team, probably bigger then LSU and USC

Yep, it was the Sooners. They didnt have a good year that year though. It was a Big 12 v Big 10 game, I bought a T Shirt for both teams, as I was only there for the spectacle rather than the teams. Great game in a great college town. The whole day and night and next day was such an amazing experience

Chipmunk

Coach
Green Bay has a population of 90,000, sold out every game since 1973 (70,000+ stadium), Buffalo New york is smaller in pop then newcastle - yet 70,000+ to each game- no need to be bitter because it embarrases league.

Ann Arbor a population of 75,000, yet they fill a 107,000 seat stadium every home game for 10 years....amazing....