What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sold on the Roosters yet...

big hit!

Bench
Folks are going on about SS losing to SGI as a massive blow to their credentials.

I'd say it was a loss that will only spur them on. It keeps them honest in the run in with just 6 7 weeks to finals. very honest. better a loss and reality check now then in 7 or so weeks. and let's not forget they've been disrupted over the Origin period too.

and who knows. I'd say that if most of these clubs are professional in the strength & conditioning set up, the clubs just about set for finals such as Souths could be ramping up the volume of training one final time about now before tapering for finals. i'd expect teams like Canberra, Warriors & newcastle to come home with wet sail in the lead up to finals because their training loads will attempt to have them fresh and peaking for each weekend. they need wins now! it can't be maintained though and they'll be run over when the better clubs start to de-load.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
I agree that Melbourne is still the team to beat. We saw last year what they did about this time of the year last year and they weren’t even challenged in the finals.

One still must chuckle at the people saying a fit Pearce is the key for us. Last week he was the worst player to ever play the game, now all of a sudden he is our be all and end all.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
One bad injury to either pearce or Maloney in a sudden death game and they'd be screwed like most other teams in the comp.

:?

If there's any big side that's not reliant on their halves it's the Roosters.

I'd say losing SBW in the finals would be the death knell for them, ala the 2007 Bulldogs.

betcats

Referee
I been having a dig at them in the gf tickets thread but I think they are well deserved favourites.

In saying that for some reason I still don't think they will win, I know that doesnt really make sense..

Stagger Lee

Bench
It's a cop out but any of the top four can and will win it. I think though that Easts can suffer the loss of ANY one team member better than other teams.

Fire

First Grade
Has Robbo won a title over in SuperLeague? He's a gun coach but I worry he won't know how to prepare his team for Grand Final week (although SBW is there for guidance).

betcats

Referee
Nah it just hurts to admit you cheating scum are still one of the best teams, Melbourne are not flying under the radar.

Lambretta

First Grade
I'm so sold on the Roosters I may actually start supporting them

Not sure they'll win the comp though

Souths and Storm are favourites IMO

Coleworld

Juniors
I think South Sydney and Easts are in great position to win this competition but you have to think how much of a toll that round 26 game is going to have on both sides.

Both physical teams with such a fierce rivalry that we could see injuries to key players in that final match to both teams match winners which could give Melbourne and Manly a leg up leading into the finals series.

Its still a fairly long way to go in this competition to be calling Premiership winners as there always could be a smokey that rises from the ashes but South Sydney and the Roosters have been very impressive this season.

BranVan3000

Coach
Has Robbo won a title over in SuperLeague? He's a gun coach but I worry he won't know how to prepare his team for Grand Final week (although SBW is there for guidance).

No but he made Catalan from a nothing team to a competitiv one, but never won anything.

BennyV

Referee
I wasn't sold on the Roosters, but once I realised Peter O'Sullivan worked for them, I mysteriously started believing...

In all seriousness, they could easily do it. I like their style of play - very impressive in attack, not robotic and always plenty of options for their creative players. On top of that, their defence is rock solid thanks to a pretty interesting defensive structure/style (the number of shut-outs they've had this year speaks for itself).

2 things could stop them:
Ill-Discipline - I'm pretty sure they end up on the wrong end of the penalty count a fair bit (could be wrong) and top teams, Melbourne in particular, will make them pay in big games.
Pressure - Pearce and Maloney are known to go missing in big games, and when half your spine doesn't show up with the right attitude, you're screwed. That being said, they have plenty of big-game players (SBW, Jenning, Mini, JWH, etc).

Wouldn't hate to see them win it, provided it has no impact on next years SOO #7!

Would prefer Warriors to go on a dream run and take it out - my second favourite team this year.

BranVan3000

Coach
Melbourne have shown they can build a gameplan that targets the weaknesses of both Souths and Roosters. That is the one thing they have that no one else does, they seem to tailor their game plans to take advantage of the opponent and on their day they can execute it flawlessly. Their pack is also very under rated and they have good outside backs

Yeah we suck hey. Bring on 2014 where hopefully we get the approval of geniuss like Bulldog Force and BranVan 3000

Luckily we don't play Parramatta or St George Illawarra again they'd touch us up. Not sure we'll win a game for the rest of 2013 tbh :(

GONZO72

Juniors
Souths will not win the comp. Their pedigree is losing. They are used to losing. Souths and losing go hand in hand.

Latest posts