What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach

Who should be our next coach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodeci

Bench
Well, the SMH article directly above seems to think otherwise re PArish. Are they talking shit?

As the second paragraph starts with "With Parish moving on".

That's a clever way of putting it.

If he did get the axe, no mention of a payout or compensation towards Parish which is the first thing any journo would of put in the story to make it sound like we are in trouble.

As the second paragraph starts with "With Parish moving on".

That's a clever way of putting it.

If he did get the axe, no mention of a payout or compensation towards Parish which is the first thing any journo would of put in the story to make it sound like we are in trouble.

Yeh, strange article...partic given that BA is/was overseas.

lingard

Coach
And alls well that ends well.

Unless BA can't coach.

But I reckon the odds are with us on this one - back to back duds who don't know their Xs from their Os means surely we must be on a good thing here!

I think the odds are only with us because of the laws of probability. I hope Arthurs can coach, but I really think another untried rookie is the wrong way to go. He's coached six first grade games for two wins. That doesn't inspire me, I'm sorry. And I still want to know why Steve Sharp originally wanted Jason Taylor and then changed his mind.

lingard

Coach
This.

The people who want you to believe da is a shit coach, are the ones that sacked him. They had f**k all reason too, and had to justify there decision. They were, and remain f**kwits to this day. They destroyed any chance we had of sending our legends out as winners. They are the reason we 'earned' the spoons, not SK not RS.

Totally agree. With all of it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Unless BA can't coach.

"Can't coach" - what does that even mean? And how would you know if a bloke can or can't coach?

Ricky Stuart won a premiership in his first year with the Roosters. Eleven years later he ran last in his first year with the Eels. Did it take eleven years for him to become that shit or did it just take eleven years for it to become apparent?

Or is he neither as good nor as bad as a premiership (or wooden spoon) would indicate?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He's coached six first grade games for two wins. That doesn't inspire me, I'm sorry.

You don't reckon a coach's results are determined by the players they have available?

Here's the players who played in those six games (bold indicates players remaining in 2014):

Fullback: Mullaney (6 games)
Wing: Burt (6 games), Sio (6 games)
Centre: Blair (6 games), Morgan (6 games)
Halves: Roberts (6 games), Sandow (6 games)
Hooker: Smith (6 games)
Edge forwards: Maitua (6 games), Ryan (3 games), Smith (2 games), Horo (1 game)
Tight forwards/interchange: Hindmarsh (6 games), Mannah (6 games), Paulo (6 games), Poore (6 games), Moimoi (5 games), Tautai (4 games), Horo (3 games), Lasalo (3 games), Ryan (2 games), McGuire (1 game)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
"Can't coach" - what does that even mean? And how would you know if a bloke can or can't coach?

It means that they don't exhibit any of the skills required to be a coach. These could be - knowledge of the rules of rugby league, not enough passion, too much passion, a lack of calmness under pressure, poor use of the available squad, poor use of interchanges and poor game plans to name a few.

Fans can make informed considerations of a coaches ability to demonstrate these attributes through - watching interviews with the coach, seeing how they react in post match press conferences, observing the game plan the players take on to the field, judging the squad that gets picked each week and observing how players speak in relation to their coach to name a few.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Ricky Stuart won a premiership in his first year with the Roosters. Eleven years later he ran last in his first year with the Eels. Did it take eleven years for him to become that shit or did it just take eleven years for it to become apparent?

Or is he neither as good nor as bad as a premiership (or wooden spoon) would indicate?

Even though the roosters won the premiership that year there are some people that didn't put a lot of it down to the coach at the time.

lingard

Coach
You don't reckon a coach's results are determined by the players they have available?

Here's the players who played in those six games (bold indicates players remaining in 2014):

Fullback: Mullaney (6 games)
Wing: Burt (6 games), Sio (6 games)
Centre: Blair (6 games), Morgan (6 games)
Halves: Roberts (6 games), Sandow (6 games)
Hooker: Smith (6 games)
Edge forwards: Maitua (6 games), Ryan (3 games), Smith (2 games), Horo (1 game)
Tight forwards/interchange: Hindmarsh (6 games), Mannah (6 games), Paulo (6 games), Poore (6 games), Moimoi (5 games), Tautai (4 games), Horo (3 games), Lasalo (3 games), Ryan (2 games), McGuire (1 game)

I'll just repeat. He's coached six first grade games for two wins. That doesn't inspire me.

I'll just repeat. He's coached six first grade games for two wins. That doesn't inspire me.

If he'd won 3 from 6 would that help?

What was Trent Robinson's record in first grade before this year?

I accept that he's a bit of an unknown quantity...but I don't get why the win/loss record record in those 6 games is anything other than noise.

lingard

Coach

Yes, yes, we get the point. I just would have preferred a coach with a bit more experience than six first grade games, that's all. Obviously I'll get behind him if he's even halfway decent. The way you talk, it sounds like just about anyone could coach an NRL side, if it just depends on the players at their disposal.

lingard

Coach

I accept that he's a bit of an unknown quantity...but I don't get why the win/loss record record in those 6 games is anything other than noise.

It's more the fact that he's only coached six first grade games. I would have liked someone with more NRL experience (as head coach).

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Using Meat loaf's theory that "2 out of 3 ain't bad", then I suspect R'Fur should be sitting on at least 4 out of 6. Anything less than that demonstrates very clearly that he is a waste of space.

Joely01

Bench
DA was a victim of board room politics unfortunately, it should never affected him but it did.

At the time I thought it was a bad move by the club sacking him.

I actually question if we would be in the position we are as a club if we kept him as coach, I highly doubt it.

Delboy

First Grade
As usual we pre judge everyone, to their detriment

I would have to go back on the Rorters blog and see if they felt the same aboiut Trent R, however players that have played under and for Brad A seem to think he can do the job, why the deathride?

I , for one, really look forward to 2014 as I have a fair bit of contact with BA , and am very confident we will have a good year. About time we got behind the club instead on thinking doom and gloom.

I think you will find he understood the problems during his earlier spell, but as a loyal asst could not undermine the boss, you will see a different group of players come next year

lingard

Coach
Okay, okay, forget the 2 out of six. Concentrate on the six. Only six games as head coach at NRL level. Not much experience. Get it? The two out of six is just an added extra; but you've all convinced me that doesn't really matter (inadequate roster, too small a sample size, etc). But I would have chosen someone with more experience, that's all. And I'm not very inspired by Brad Arthur. That okay with you guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts