What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall is coming back to the NRL.

Card Shark

Immortal
If he's smart , he'll go to Melbourne.

That is his best chance for success (if that's what he wants - maybe it's $?)

Bellamy will get him playing his best again.

Plumplechook

Juniors
What an utterly hopeless Rugby Union player Benji proved. Had no feel or instinct for the game whatsover. He looked lost most of the time and put his supporting players under enormous pressure, almost always panicking and passing to players in worse positions than himself. His cross field tracking habit was bad enough in his last season with the Tigers - in Union it looked completely embarrassing.

League players who make the switch to Union are generally only successful on the wing or at fullback . Playing in the centres in Union is totally different than in League because no 5 metre rule means a very congested mid-field. Unless you are good off both feet or have an explosive burst of speed it's hard to break the line. Benji should have spoken to Timana Tahu how hard it is to play in the centers in Union. Matt Rogers is the only player I can think of who managed the transition successfully.

Union will be glad to see the back of him - and can't imagine him finding a decent gig back in the NRL.

Bulldog Force

Referee
dogs certainly have space, and ive heard souths are under too.

could do a backended deal anyway. im sure the nrl would allow some flexibility to get him back

Dogs have Reynolds and Hokko doing a good job. Plus they aren't commanding big bucks, aren't injury prone and can both kick field goals.

Souths possibly but it will be for less coin.

taipan

Referee
He would be most welcome at Leichhardt by the sea:Cronulla.

Kids gravitate to him and hells bells,the Sharks need a bit of variety in attack.Running of Gal(Brahman Bull) or Fifita would create havoc.
Bring it on.

He finally realised union is a mish mash combination of body flopping,penalty riddled,technicality flooded sport.As watchable as the Federal Parliament.

Lucas-Con

Juniors
He might be decent in a side that's not the tigers but right now no club needs him and realisticly who the hell would want him he wants a release after being dropped from the union side that alone says it all he's a sook and nothing else.

POPEYE

Coach
Storm does not need him...we have Ben Roberts.

That does make me rethink . . . c'mon down Benji to the second home of the Warriors. As long as it's a swap for Roberts on the same money. If anyone can make you a hero again it's Bellamy

Dogs Of War

Coach
Dogs have Reynolds and Hokko doing a good job. Plus they aren't commanding big bucks, aren't injury prone and can both kick field goals.

Souths possibly but it will be for less coin.

I think you miss that Benji could play fullback. That's where we have a need, and another playmaker who would just be able to inject himself as required would be the spark that we need at the back.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
The last time I watched Marshall live, the entire problem was down to an unwillingness to put himself on the line physically. In defence he was hopeless and in attack he had the defence worried until they realised that there was no way he was going to take a tackle in order to get a decent pass away or make a break. If he's not willing to take a hit he'd be useless at either code.

macnaz

Staff member
A has been. Had a poor season in 2012. Tried Union and was even worse there.

Incorrect.. 2012.. 2nd in try assists and 2nd in line break assists behind Cronk while also playing in a side not making the 8 . 2013 yes he was crap but I believe it was due to lack of effort an refusal to put in for new coach Potter. If he has the hunger he will still provide plenty to a side who needs a 6.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Warriors have a press conference at 10am apparently.

It could be nothing, but given the recent news I fear the worst.

Given it's the Warriors though it could be about the ownership, the management, the players, a dozen new jersey designs. Don't know what to expect from this club these days.

ozenzud

Juniors
For me, I think Benji Marshall was a great footballer in his day. He lost his pace and he lost his mojo. There might be a bit in it, about him not putting in for the new coach.

To me, he comes across also, as a really good bloke. I think the nobodies and neverweres on here, bagging off Benji should really think about what they achieved v him.

I didn't watch any of his rugby games as I don't watch much rugby.

What I did see this week is the NZ TVone sports presenter Andrew Dewhurst virtually barring up over the fact Benji wasn't good enough to play rugby. Frano Botica was interviewed on TV One this morning saying Union was far too complicated for these league players to play the game.

Benji played less than 5 games of union in his adult life and was playing at the top level (below test matches). Would any union convert ever be considered a success or failure after 5 league games? I don't think you would risk a player at frist grade without at least a few games at a lower level. The whole situation is ridiculous, but the rugby heads over here are thinking it is Christmas time and just prooves how difficult their game is to play and arn't we superior. There is so little logic in this whole situation. I can't believe he has actually shot through so quickly. Its all a bit weird.

Meth

Staff member
Warriors have a press conference at 10am apparently.

It could be nothing, but given the recent news I fear the worst.

Given it's the Warriors though it could be about the ownership, the management, the players, a dozen new jersey designs. Don't know what to expect from this club these days.

It'll be Owen Glenn beating his chest and reiterating that we ARE GOING TO BE THE GREATEST SPORTING FRANCHISE IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!

Misanthrope

Staff member
There's a lot of harsh criticism of the guy based off one poor season where he was clearly unmotivated.

If we could get him on reasonable terms, I'd love to have him at the Knights.

gronkathon

First Grade
My criticism isn't so much of his onfield, though that slid badly. It is more the fact he is a sooky little merkin who had Sheens wrapped around his finger and got his bum mates contract extensions and set up a truly divided locker room.

f**k that merkin

aads

Juniors
Sook - who had ONE good season not one bad one

And the ego - please he should stay in Rugby