What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phillip Hughes has passed away at the age of 25

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
While reading the last 24 hours worth of posts on this tragic event, I'm still getting tears in my eyes. The Elton John tribute was the last straw....wow what a man.

Meanwhile, in the local shopping centre today, I saw a guy with a fresh tattoo on his right bicep.

Just simple with a bit of flourish around it.

It said "408/63". I had to sit down after that.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/world/cricket...-strikes-him-in-the-face-20141129-11wxva.html

Cricket umpire in Israel killed after ball strikes him in the face

November 30, 2014 - 3:49AM

JERUSALEM - An umpire standing in a cricket match in the Israeli city of Ashdod was killed after being struck by a ball on Saturday, Israeli police said.Police said the 60-year-old umpire, who was not named, was taken to hospital in the nearby town of Ashkelon in critical condition where he died of his injuries.
One of the players who witnessed the incident told the Nana10 website that the umpire, standing at the bowler's end, was struck by the ball in his face after it ricocheted off the stumps from a shot that came straight back down the pitch.
The death came two days after Australian batsman Phillip Hughes died in hospital after being struck by a ball during a match in Sydney.
Cricket is not a major sport in Israel but Ashdod is one of the main centres for the sport where a large number of Jewish immigrants from India live.

:shock:

TheParraboy

Staff member
gosh this is dream surely? unbelievable

deserves its own thread, miquel can you create a separate thread for this

Spot On

Coach
The Kiwis continuing with muted celebrations. Williamson has brought up his century. McCullum his double. They wander down the pitch, embrace, no smiles, minimal acknowledgement. McCullum brought up his double century with a 6...

Just saw the footage of McCallum speaking about Hughes and the players reaction to Hughes' passing and a more genuine delivery of heartfelt thoughts and words you will not see. What a top bloke and outstanding leader he is for his team and country.

Sorry to read another sad story today in the Sunday Telegraph of a young man who died playing cricket 33 years ago from a similar fatal head injury,and how it affected his family afterwards.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Query: I'm keen to buy an Aussie one day shirt with Phil's name and ODI number on it. I'm doing it as a mark of respect for the young fella but seeing that 64 has been retired is it appropriate?

Cheers for your responses in advance.

Query: I'm keen to buy an Aussie one day shirt with Phil's name and ODI number on it. I'm doing it as a mark of respect for the young fella but seeing that 64 has been retired is it appropriate?

I think it would be a nice gesture.
Either that or get 63 instead

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Happy Birthday Phil, Gone but not forgotten, I like the idea of the ODI jersey sounds good, i would go 63 or 408 if you can get it on. In the end, he should be the only one to have the 64.

TheParraboy

Staff member

imo, I personally couldn't do that out of respect, knowing the number is officially retired. Doesn't mean im right, just the way I feel

198 is good on a one day shirt (his ODI number). When international sides play the number on their back goes up to 99 only. 198 would be quite unique and original and definatley a story behind it

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yeah, can't have 3 numbers. Also, number 63 is not used at the moment but was Andrew Symonds number. Still thinking about it.

You know what.
I really don't think a fan getting 64 can be compared another ODI player using the number.
Personally I think it would be a nice, respectful tribute to Phil. Especially as that is your intention.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Just saw the footage of McCallum speaking about Hughes and the players reaction to Hughes' passing and a more genuine delivery of heartfelt thoughts and words you will not see. What a top bloke and outstanding leader he is for his team and country.

:clap:

some11

Referee
You know what.
I really don't think a fan getting 64 can be compared another ODI player using the number.
Personally I think it would be a nice, respectful tribute to Phil. Especially as that is your intention.

Agree, it's been retired from the playing community, would have no problem with joe public wearing it out of remembrance.

When/what station is his funeral being televised on?

Hughes' funeral will take place at 2.00pm (AEDT) on Wednesday, in his family’s home town of Macksville in northern New South Wales.

The service will be broadcast live by the Nine Network.

Qantas has scheduled two additional B737 services between Sydney and Coffs Harbour on Wednesday to assist people wishing to attend the funeral.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...lip-hughes-funeral-plans#XpfIBPq8Si2Ho1rb.99t

Last edited: