What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

POPEYE

Coach
Alex must be in a dark place for him, nothing to do with the injury itself but being asked to do something to secure his future that goes against everything he believes in. The bloke is being told just to go through a routine process, routine for the insidious lawyer faculty but not for a decent young bloke who appreciates the real help he's getting . . . spare a thought

sretsoor

Juniors
Does he have this 'job for life' guarantee in writing? Who is to say in 24 months time, new administration .... the good will ends.
He will need full time care for life. Family and friends are great but as the years roll on they become tired and the support dries up. That costs a lot of money. I don't begrudge him if he plans to sue, in fact he is stupid not too. Had the NRL had insurance, everyone would support him in suing for damages. Just cause the NRL doesn't it's deemed as a negative on the poor kid. I see it as a costly error by the NRL and they will have to pay for it.

POPEYE

Coach
I wouldn't place any blame for the incident on McKinnon at all. That's grossly unfair because nobody knows how you'd react in a similar situation when you have 2 or 3 100+ kg defenders manhandling and lifting you in the air.

It was just a very unfortunate incident. And if you were to apportion blame to anyone, the most would go to Jordan McLean. I wouldn't place any blame on the NRL at all. Hence why I don't see how you could sue the game. McLean yes, and maybe the Storm if you can prove their grubby wrestling tactics, but not the NRL.

You sir a 24 carat f**kwit and will deserve the shit I will enjoy dumping on you in the future

TimmyB

Juniors
1) The residual earning capacity he has (ie: working at nrl) and I imagine the 1.1 million would be accounted for and deducted from judgment.
2) I imagine this sort of action against the NRL would go all the way to the High Court - it would set precedent. Far stronger case against the Storm via vicarious liability I would've thought.

Tommy Smith

Referee
You sir a 24 carat f**kwit and will deserve the shit I will enjoy dumping on you in the future
You're not all there in the head are you.

Exactly how do you intend to "dump shit on me'? By being the world's oldest keyboard hero? Grow up, old man.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Alex must be in a dark place for him, nothing to do with the injury itself but being asked to do something to secure his future that goes against everything he believes in. The bloke is being told just to go through a routine process, routine for the insidious lawyer faculty but not for a decent young bloke who appreciates the real help he's getting . . . spare a thought

thats what i hope it is. this tackle wasnt a malicious tackle like others, it really was an unfortunate accident

POPEYE

Coach
You're not all there in the head are you.

Exactly how do you intend to "dump shit on me'? By being the world's oldest keyboard hero? Grow up, old man.

You've made my day . . . challenges come few and far between for worn out old street fighters

Nice Beaver

First Grade
There is no way 30k in a trust fund in the 70s is enough to live on disabled. That is a falsehood to try to generate some bad will McKinnon's way.

It's shameful that the NRL don't have insurance in place to cover this in the first place.

I can't believe the scummy way people try to tie their donations to dictate people's lives.

If that's the sort of low life you are, stop donating!

Agreed.

Do we know there is no insurance in place for players through their super?

POPEYE

Coach
ffs you have a sad life old man

To the contrary, after deciding which 5 hours I sleep, I awake each day and have to decide which of my hobbies to pursue, the in between tea breaks have me contributing to this forum. I do enjoy spur of the moment writing, none of that planning shit, but most of all I look for f**kwits and their supporters who write rubbish like 'blame the Storm' for Alex's misfortunes

Truth be known, as if it has anything to do with the subject of this thread, Alex didn't knowingly contribute to his injury any more than McClean did . . . to insinuate either is making mileage for an agenda. I am in a position to ridicule these f**kwits and their supporters and quite enjoy it

TheFrog

Coach
On bsb this morning they said some bloke at wests broke his neck in the late 70's. They raised 30k for him and put it in a trust fund so he didnt get it as a lump sum. He's still withdrawing it today.

You are probably talking about John Farragher, the Penrith forward made a quadriplegic by a collapsing scrum at Henson Park in 1978. He was given a job by the Penrith club on the front door at Panthers and still works there as far as I know.

His case was different to the Alex McKinnon one in one important respect: There was no illegality involved. No player from either side broke any rule of the game and his injury was unforeseeable. Alex's injury was foreseeable which is why the game had made lifting tackles illegal. Whether the game had done enough to prevent these tackles occurring is for a court to decide, but they are certainly still occurring, pretty much every week in fact.

1.1m in a trust fund would probably last a lifetime. Combined with a job for life and the knights/nrl insurance covering his rehab I cant imagine he would ever struggle with money.

$1.1m is chickenfeed for a person who needs ongoing medical care and personal care for the rest of his life. It won't last any more than five years.

$1.1m sounds like an absolute fortune, but it is barely sufficient for someone retiring at 65 in good health to have a modest living for most of their remaining life. It isn't all that much money.

If he wants to sue then fair enough. He is entitled to. But he wont be getting any more of my money in this years rise for alex round and im sure most would hold a similar opinion.

I don't. There is nothing to guarantee his job for life. He is entitled to financial security.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
1) The residual earning capacity he has (ie: working at nrl) and I imagine the 1.1 million would be accounted for and deducted from judgment.
2) I imagine this sort of action against the NRL would go all the way to the High Court - it would set precedent. Far stronger case against the Storm via vicarious liability I would've thought.

I doubt it will, and I doubt that is the aim.

I would say a settlement that is agreed by all parties is the likely outcome, IF it comes to legal action.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This might sound callus, but if i were the NRL id be telling him any legal action will result in that "job for life" being rescinded. The NRL have done quite a lot for him given the situation, raised a shit load of money which has no doubt helped him do what he needs around his house to make it accessable, given him guaranteed pay packet for life... i mean thats a lot more than most get in work place accidents, and this is a workplace where the players know this is a risk.
As i said at the time, this wasnt even an old school piledriver spear tackle, i still see tackles similar to that almost every week. So the risk is there and it always will be.

if he wants to sue, that's his call but i dont think its reasonable to expect to be able to sue the NRL and still expect to collect a job for life from them in these circumstances

Not only that, they could probably also claim that $1million raised as money already paid...

Most what the NRL has done so far has been a PR exercise (and a brilliant one at that). Instead of the headlines reading "man crippled in thug sport" we see things like "RL community comes together and shows true spirit after tragic accident".

If Mckinnon publicly sued, the NRL would lose most of the feel good factor they have gained in this. At that point, there is no real reason for them to help him out beyond their bare minimum legal requirements.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Anyone who has a problem with him can f**k off and burn their computer. Nobody gets to criticize him unless they've walked in his shoes. 1 million can disappear pretty bloody quickly in his situation.

I think it is a very valid argument to suggest there wasn't appropriate insurance.

He should go after everything he's entitled to. And as for "public opinion", public opinion does nothing for him when he's in pain struggling to do things the rest of us take for granted. Besides, only a lowlife would begrudge him doing what he needs. If he does win his life will still be almost certainly harder than yours.

BradMackay

Juniors
The other factor might be how hard it could be on Alex to have a job for life around something that reminds him everyday of what he has lost. He may want to not work around rugby league and to do that he needs an income so he can retrain via a uni degree for example which would be expensive. By taking legal action he can get an independant stream of income free from subtle pressure from the NRL. The best thing would be for this to be settled out of court by all parties.

Incorrect

Coach
Anyone who has a problem with him can f**k off and burn their computer. Nobody gets to criticize him unless they've walked in his shoes. 1 million can disappear pretty bloody quickly in his situation.

I think it is a very valid argument to suggest there wasn't appropriate insurance.

He should go after everything he's entitled to. And as for "public opinion", public opinion does nothing for him when he's in pain struggling to do things the rest of us take for granted. Besides, only a lowlife would begrudge him doing what he needs. If he does win his life will still be almost certainly harder than yours.

Post of the day... well said.

:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.