What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess returns to South Sydney

nick87

Coach
Roosters have an unfairly big market giving them an advantage

Roosters have no fans and a tiny area and are the least popular of 9 Sydney teams

There are too many Sydney teams constricting opportunities

...which is it?

They could both true
The commercial market, particularly in relation to TPAs has next to nothing to with the catchment area and fan base of the club.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Eels & a few other clubs have to follow the rules.

which makes following the rules is yet another thing the eels failed at..

Eels fined for salary cap breaches

The Parramatta Eels are facing a fine of $525,000 for salary cap breaches last year.

The NRL issued a breach notice to the club on Thursday which also imposes a penalty of 4 competition points for breaches of the cap.

The competition points will be deducted at the start of the 2016 season unless the Eels undertake an independent review of its governance and organisational capability - and implement changes recommended by that review.

http://www.nrl.com/eels-fined-for-salary-cap-breaches/tabid/10874/newsid/86425/default.aspx

Jason Simmons

Juniors
honestly how do they fit 1.5M under the cap when they would have had to upgrade players since winning the comp..

the changes to third party deals can't come soon enough.

Also why bother with a player who has no loyalty to anything but the dollar. The sooner rugby league moves on from these type players the better.

Because some clubs have this crazy idea that buying top talent helps them win premierships...

rabbitohs95

Bench
One thing I want to know. Has his contract been approved by the NRL?

Souths have admitted they will need to 'move some things around' I.e they need to make room in the salary cap. The NRL wouldnt accept hoppoates eels contract and forans initial one because it would put the eels over the cap.

Why than have they allowed Burgess's contract?

I believe it got approved today?

Liddell

Juniors
Proves my point. The mistake there was thinking that just because others can do what they want, we can too.

Actually the mistake was cheating the cap.

What other clubs do has zero to do with the Eels getting busted.

harboo

Juniors
Roosters have an unfairly big market giving them an advantage

Roosters have no fans and a tiny area and are the least popular of 9 Sydney teams

There are too many Sydney teams constricting opportunities

...which is it?

Yes I completely agree so kick them out you bloody beauty

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Welcome home Sam! I was gutted when he left RL moreso that Hayne or SBW simply because of his impact not only on club football but his profile and impact (and potential future impact) on the English national side. The more world class players in all playing nations the better.

In addition, Sam is a RL player through and through - the game suits him down to the ground.

slammingsam

Juniors
One thing I want to know. Has his contract been approved by the NRL?

Souths have admitted they will need to 'move some things around' I.e they need to make room in the salary cap. The NRL wouldnt accept hoppoates eels contract and forans initial one because it would put the eels over the cap.

Why than have they allowed Burgess's contract?

John Lee said on Sky sports radio yesterday that they had made their intentions known to the NRL re creating space so I gather whoever is being released is 90% complete.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its great to have him back, we gave Union a big free kick with Folau, glad to see we are sorting it out this time.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I thought the issue with Folau was the amount they wanted to register him for, not the cap situation?

That was exactly the issue.

The same reason the Tigers weren't allowed to sign Benji to a proposed contract back in 2010/11, he speaks about it in his book. That the NRL didn't allow it has probably had a large effect on why so many of our contracts were back ended and f*cked things for us the last couple of years.

Vic Mackey

Referee
John Lee said on Sky sports radio yesterday that they had made their intentions known to the NRL re creating space so I gather whoever is being released is 90% complete.

What if these players end up refusing to go or the clubs go cold on the idea? I've checked and the NRLs webpage is confirming Burgess's signing, so they are all good with it. Sorry but the whole thing stinks of favourtism.

kbw

Bench
I could not care either way in regards to this dirty filthy grub of a player.
All I ask is that the rules that apply to all the other players apply to burge$$ this time around.

Sure, TPAs are unlimited and are perfectly legal under the current system. It is however, illegal for a club to source them for an individual, nor can they be used as an incentive to sign with a particular club or guaranteed by a club.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

If Souths have been able to list 500k or there abouts of Sam's salary under the cap but Burgess is stand to earns over a million after TPAs, IMO it smells a little fishy to me especially if they do not have move on any talent because I am sure there would have been other clubs offering much more "guaranteed" money above and beyond the 500k. And as a complement to Sam, if Taupau is on 700k, Fifita on 650k and Graham on 750k, he is by far IMO a much more valuable player than any of those and should be "guaranteed" more money.

What you say is true but Third Party Agreement is going to see the NRL look like the top soccer leagues and have the same 2-4 teams at the top every year.

I am not against Third Party Agreements and players making the most out of the game they can but they are far too lopsided towards certain clubs.

Said it before the NRL should assess each players worth and the NRLK assessed values of your top 25 have to be under the cap. Doesn't stop them earning more on TPA but stops clubs having an unfair advantage by putting good players low in the cap, topping them up with TPA that allows them to fill the rest of the squad with better players because their is more cap room.

NRL has to stop this and stop this now by increasing their assessed value of the top players have to be placed under the cap is a good way to start. You should never allow a player like Darren Lockyer to be under the cap at $300K and make $1 million when the TPA's come in. NRL have to stop letting that happen.

Parra

Referee
Get rid of the cap. It's ridiculous. Plenty of sports have them - always a dud idea. We aren't communists.