What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess returns to South Sydney

nick87

Coach
Yes, I probably am bitter that the integrity of the comp has been thrown out the window over the last 5 years. I am unlucky to follow a club that can never have a "smart administration" under the current system.

Yeah I don't think it's a great shock that fans of small market teams who can't possibly match the third party dollars of the big market teams are bitter and jaded about the competition
I wonder why I bother with this code, as a raiders fan, given the current system that allows unlimited third party deals, and doesn't reward development, what hope do I really have of seeing a premiership again for my club?

Unless someone like Austin has a Hayne/Campese like run of form and we jag one on the back of it, it's just not going to happen. Even if we unearthed another Milford, it would cost us insane levels of money on our cap to keep him and then we don't have the cap space to surround him with the talent to be a powerhouse. I doubt the NRL will come to our aid to give us 500k cap exemption to keep a superstar the way they've done for Burgess.

The current system simply doesn't allow clubs like mine the ability to have the sustained success of clubs like Brisbane and the Roosters

mxlegend99

Referee
What are Souths actually paying him? If its only the $500k he will be under the cap at then it's fine that is all he will cost under the cap.

But if they're paying him $1m themselves with 3rd party deals ontop, thats the NRL giving them a $500k cap advantage over the other teams. What he was on before leaving is irrelevant. What they had to pay him to sign him is.

Otherwise every club should be able to register players under the cap for their old salaries. players values go up and other clubs would have offered him well over $500k in the cap to sign him. But they can't compete when the NRL says he will only cost so much under the cap no matter how much it takes to get him.

BranVan3000

Coach
Yeah I don't think it's a great shock that fans of small market teams who can't possibly match the third party dollars of the big market teams are bitter and jaded about the competition
I wonder why I bother with this code, as a raiders fan, given the current system that allows unlimited third party deals, and doesn't reward development, what hope do I really have of seeing a premiership again for my club?

Unless someone like Austin has a Hayne/Campese like run of form and we jag one on the back of it, it's just not going to happen. Even if we unearthed another Milford, it would cost us insane levels of money on our cap to keep him and then we don't have the cap space to surround him with the talent to be a powerhouse. I doubt the NRL will come to our aid to give us 500k cap exemption to keep a superstar the way they've done for Burgess.

The current system simply doesn't allow clubs like mine the ability to have the sustained success of clubs like Brisbane and the Roosters
What 500k cap exemption are you talking about? And funny that North Queensland are managing just fine under the current system. Stop making excuses

Card Shark

Immortal
Whatever he's getting paid by Souths / NRL to play next year should be what he's listed under the salary cap.

Third party agreements excluded like every other player's are.

Bending the rules for 1 or 2 teams is fraught with danger - opens up a big can of worms & a division in the game.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Sure, TPAs are unlimited and are perfectly legal under the current system. It is however, illegal for a club to source them for an individual, nor can they be used as an incentive to sign with a particular club or guaranteed by a club.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

If Souths have been able to list 500k or there abouts of Sam's salary under the cap but Burgess is stand to earns over a million after TPAs, IMO it smells a little fishy to me especially if they do not have move on any talent because I am sure there would have been other clubs offering much more "guaranteed" money above and beyond the 500k. And as a complement to Sam, if Taupau is on 700k, Fifita on 650k and Graham on 750k, he is by far IMO a much more valuable player than any of those and should be "guaranteed" more money.

BranVan3000

Coach
Whatever he's getting paid by Souths / NRL to play next year should be what he's listed under the salary cap.

Bending the rules for 1 or 2 teams is fraught with danger - opens up a big can of worms & a division in the game.

What he is being paid is listed under the cap

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Sure, TPAs are unlimited and are perfectly legal under the current system. It is however, illegal for a club to source them for an individual, nor can they be used as an incentive to sign with a particular club or guaranteed by a club.

True, but that would be very difficult to police.

DiegoNT

First Grade

Taumololo knocks backs a million a year to sing with the Cowboys for only 500k and no body bats an eyelid
Burgess does something similar and everybody loses their freakin minds!
They aren't bending the rules for 1 club, any club can do this. Every club uses tpa to some extent. Warriors just brought in rts and luke to join Johnson, vautevai, mannering and mautilino for example. There's nothing stopping other clubs getting their act and using tpa's in the way broncos, Souths and roosters do.
The problem with the system is that because souths , roosters and broncos can gain more tpa's then other clubs so they can get an unfair adventure under the rules, but no club will want to change the rules because they all already use tpa's to some extent, just none can do it to the level that roosters, broncos and souths do it.
You say Sam's 3rd party agreements should count against the cap like other player's? You mean like smith, gallen, slater, lewis, Thurston, taumololo, scott, milford, Parker, tamou, foran, dce, woods, farah, benji, Johnson etc etc etc the list goes on.
The problem with the reporting of Sams contract is that it's probably been wildly over reported. 1.5m is just ridiculous. He way arguebly be the best forward in the game (the case could be made for others) but that'd make him worth twice the money of other premier forwards. Guys like Graham, scott, bromwich, jwh,Cordner parker, taumololo will all be in the cap for somewhere around 500-750k ( not including tpa's) so burgess will slot in to that group

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I don't care that the tpa system is being used to top up wages around the salary cap when that's not really why there should be a TPA system. It really should be for a player spruiking an air conditioner off his own doing not club a chairman saying sign here for 500k and we will give you a million from a business we use to top up our contracts because the nrl is soft.

What the nrl should do is publish how much each club spends on player wages including TPA though.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Taumololo knocks backs a million a year to sing with the Cowboys for only 500k and no body bats an eyelid
Burgess does something similar and everybody loses their freakin minds!
They aren't bending the rules for 1 club, any club can do this. Every club uses tpa to some extent. Warriors just brought in rts and luke to join Johnson, vautevai, mannering and mautilino for example. There's nothing stopping other clubs getting their act and using tpa's in the way broncos, Souths and roosters do.
The problem with the system is that because souths , roosters and broncos can gain more tpa's then other clubs so they can get an unfair adventure under the rules, but no club will want to change the rules because they all already use tpa's to some extent, just none can do it to the level that roosters, broncos and souths do it.
You say Sam's 3rd party agreements should count against the cap like other player's? You mean like smith, gallen, slater, lewis, Thurston, taumololo, scott, milford, Parker, tamou, foran, dce, woods, farah, benji, Johnson etc etc etc the list goes on.
The problem with the reporting of Sams contract is that it's probably been wildly over reported. 1.5m is just ridiculous. He way arguebly be the best forward in the game (the case could be made for others) but that'd make him worth twice the money of other premier forwards. Guys like Graham, scott, bromwich, jwh,Cordner parker, taumololo will all be in the cap for somewhere around 500-750k ( not including tpa's) so burgess will slot in to that group

You highlight the issue right there. TPAs outside the cap cannot be guaranteed or sourced by the club and used by a club to entice a player to sign a contract. TPAs by rights if they are sourced correctly by the player and their managers should be pretty much 100% flexible and transferrable between clubs as they should under the rules have absolutely no link with the club at all.

some11

Referee
when he gets back to training, these had better be his first three words, or i'll be disappointed:

tumblr_mtr8wln9qe1s3b47zo1_500.gif
if walker does get forced out to accommodate burgess, i guess it really is a case of "you snooze, you lose"

[youtube]mMHctbcQ2fk[/youtube]

Welcome back Sam, anther set and forget for SuperCoach next year :D

adamkungl

Immortal
Roosters have an unfairly big market giving them an advantage

Roosters have no fans and a tiny area and are the least popular of 9 Sydney teams

There are too many Sydney teams constricting opportunities

...which is it?

Edwahu

Bench
Roosters have an unfairly big market giving them an advantage

Roosters have no fans and a tiny area and are the least popular of 9 Sydney teams

There are too many Sydney teams constricting opportunities

...which is it?

Who ever said the first one? The roosters have a small market but a very rich one.

Card Shark

Immortal
You say Sam's 3rd party agreements should count against the cap like other player's?

I didn't say that. Sorry if I was unclear & you misunderstood.

If he's under the salary cap for what he was paid by the NRL / Souths, I'm ok with it.

3rd party deals are excluded in the salary cap.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I didn't say that. Sorry if I was unclear & you misunderstood.

If he's under the salary cap for what he was paid by the NRL / Souths, I'm ok with it.

3rd party deals are excluded in the salary cap.

My bad, i mis-read your post

Vic Mackey

Referee
One thing I want to know. Has his contract been approved by the NRL?

Souths have admitted they will need to 'move some things around' I.e they need to make room in the salary cap. The NRL wouldnt accept hoppoates eels contract and forans initial one because it would put the eels over the cap.

Why than have they allowed Burgess's contract?

Last edited: