What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bunker

thorson1987

Coach
Archer said last week that the Bunker can get involved on goal line drop out plays when the play is dead and time is off. Yesterday Kara got out of the in goal and a full play later the Bunker intervened. The play was not dead. When they showed the replay, Kara had made it into the field of play, so it was also the wrong call. Wonder what the Minister for Justification will come up with this week to defend that horror show abomination.

Ball grounded in goal or on line while player is being tackled = goal line drop out.

Doesn't mean shit that momentum carried him out.

The bunker got it spot on.

AuckMel

Bench
Archer said last week that the Bunker can get involved on goal line drop out plays when the play is dead and time is off. Yesterday Kara got out of the in goal and a full play later the Bunker intervened. The play was not dead. When they showed the replay, Kara had made it into the field of play, so it was also the wrong call. Wonder what the Minister for Justification will come up with this week to defend that horror show abomination.

The f**kwits in the bunker shouldn't be involved in the play two plays later unless they're going to f**k up every single game. Oh wait...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ball grounded in goal or on line while player is being tackled = goal line drop out.

Doesn't mean shit that momentum carried him out.

The bunker got it spot on.

Okay, we'll say they got it spot on (which purely for the decision itself, is correct - it was grounded on the line). Then I look forward to every indiscretion that is committed on the field, being corrected 1-2 plays later.

It's horse shit. As I say, the decision in itself was right. But the use of the Bunker at that time was absolutely wrong.

I'm not excusing my side because we were outclassed. We suck. But referees are braindead mongs. I'd love to hear an explanation of why that decision was made at that time.

Leber

Bench
Later on in the game Jamie Lyon (I think) was tackled in the in goal (wasnt held) but he went down and the ball touched the grass. He was allowed to play on and it was no drop out.

Im fine with The call against Kata, as long as in future, EVERY single time a a player in the in goal touched a blade of grass with the ball, it is called a goal line drop out.

The biggest issue I think is why is the bunker allowed to get involved when loads of other plays go un referred?

Leber

Bench
actually no, the rule states if the ball hits the line its a goal line drop out and thats exactly what happened

another good call from the bunker. the commentators dont know what theyre on about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n7pPFeY5cA

Doesn't really matter if the call was right or wrong in this instance. The point us, that the bunker (apparently) isn't allowed to get involved in a goal line call unless it goes dead. It didn't go dead.

Iafeta

Referee
As above, Lyon grounded in goal but was allowed to exit without being told to take a drop out. Irrespective of whether you think the decision was right or wrong, the process was absolutely a reversal on what Tony Archer said should happen no less than a week ago. And then was not consistently applied in the same game on the opposition. I would like to hear the Minister of Justification defend a clearly botched process.

Leber

Bench
I think in the knight game a few weeks ago when Kata managed to get out of the in goal, didnt the ball scrape the goal line then too? If so, then why was that not called a goal line drop out?

pHyR3

Juniors
Doesn't really matter if the call was right or wrong in this instance. The point us, that the bunker (apparently) isn't allowed to get involved in a goal line call unless it goes dead. It didn't go dead.

i say let them help as much as possible

do we not want to increase the number of correct calls?

if it was some blatant knock on people would be glamorizing the bunker do something or that the refs are blind etc.

Leber

Bench
i say let them help as much as possible

do we not want to increase the number of correct calls?

if it was some blatant knock on people would be glamorizing the bunker do something or that the refs are blind etc.

Then why didn't he intervene when Lyon grounded the ball in the in goal?

You either always intervene, or you never do.

Danny-Boy

Juniors

The bunker did not make the call the pocket ref did. Watch the replay the pocket ref was signalling to the main ref he grounded the ball and the main ref let the pocket ref blow the whistle.

The commentators said 'we think' it was a tip off from the bunker. They've got no idea. The bunker didnt make that decision in live play, it was virtually impossible.

pHyR3

Juniors
Then why didn't he intervene when Lyon grounded the ball in the in goal?

You either always intervene, or you never do.

why?

i think its better for the bunker to help out as much as possible. whats the one metric you should care about when assessing refs? % of correct decisions. and letting the bunker help where it is able (gets angles quickly enough etc.) should be a good thing. i see no advantage to preventing the bunker from helping

Eion

First Grade
why?

i think its better for the bunker to help out as much as possible. whats the one metric you should care about when assessing refs? % of correct decisions. and letting the bunker help where it is able (gets angles quickly enough etc.) should be a good thing. i see no advantage to preventing the bunker from helping

You need to be 100% clear on when the bunker can intervene, otherwise there will be inconsistency of application and perceptions (if not reality) of bias. The 1 thing I want more than correct decisions is consistency.

Leber

Bench
why?

Again, so why didn't the bunker intervene when Lyon grounded the ball?

You either always intervene, or never do.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Again, so why didn't the bunker intervene when Lyon grounded the ball?

You either always intervene, or never do.

Because he didn't ground the ball.....and again, the bunker did not intervene in the Warriors grounding. Do you understand or would rather stick your head in the sand?

Leber

Bench
Then who did call the play back?

The commentators, mcfadden in his press conference and the after show all said it was the bunker

Last edited:

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Then who did call the play back?

The commentators, mcfadden in his press conference and the after show all said it was the bunker

Mate the commentators said 'is that a tip off from the bunker?' It was pure speculation. We wouldn't be having this conversation if they don't mention the bunker. The pocket ref was trying to signal the main ref immediately. It was the correct call either way so no point complaining.

redvscotty

First Grade
So given Greenberg was given the top job on his roaring success of the bunker... how long before he is sacked?