What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash411

Bench
Why are people blaming the NRL?

The NRL has no fault in this, apart from having a poor set of rules regarding the salary cap, but everyone knows what they are, they're not impossible to follow.

What did you expect them to do, spank us on the arse and let us go on our way? We broke the rules, and have been punished. That's the NRL's job.

If you want to be mad, place the blame where it belongs, at the administration that put us in this mess.

Boycotting games and cancelling foxtel subscriptions doesn't help anyone. Believe me, foxtel won't even notice.

You can't get mad at the NRL punishing us for breaking the rules. I mean, you can, but it's misplaced anger.

Swiftstylez

Bench
Can you get angry at the NRL for not being as thorough with the third party investigations into other clubs?

Can you get angry at the NRL for having a third party system that essentially gives a massive advantage to some teams every year?

Can you get angry at the NRL for delivering such a harsh penalty?

Can you get angry at the NRL for not realising this sooner?

Can you get angry at the NRL for not finding out the Storm sooner?

Can you get angry at the NRL for dragging this on as long as possible?

Can you get angry at the NRL for their laughable judiciary system that saw Paulo rubbed out for 8 weeks last year for an incident that some players get shit all for?

Please give me permission, Ash.

570k is basically sitting on the sideline this year anyway, the penalty does not match the crime.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Gotta bump this. Thanks Andy for not joining in on the gloatfest.

We all know who they are...well most is do, phantom seems to be looking at the wrong place but hopefully he knows now where the real source was

amitropo

Juniors
I know I am clutching at straws here but could Greenberg have come down harsh knowingly there is some evidence the eels have to reduce the penalty to up ease all the media speculation

Bigfella

Coach
Gotta bump this. Thanks Andy for not joining in on the gloatfest.

We certainly need a separate investigation into that. We need to make sure that such people are excluded for life from influence at the club.

It's not a case of punishing whistleblowers. These were people who were knowingly concerned and only leaked it to suit themselves. Not driven by conscience.

If they were directors or executives or formerly so they all breached ongoing fiduciary duties and should never be weeded out.

oldmancraigy

Coach
To a lesser extent you guys gloating are like Denis on a smaller scale. Everyone knows Sharpy is not the sharpest tool in the shed but however misguided he still put the club first. And stuck his neck out for Brad Arthur.

Not the sharpest tool is a bit too generous.

He believes we are under the cap this year despite us being $570k over. Perhaps his calculator is as drunk as he sounds every time he speaks?

Bottom line is that he is implicated by the NRL, and all those implicated simply must go.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
As a fan of an oppostion team, I feel for all you guys. There is no wrong or right way to act as a fan after todays events but turning on one another isn't going to change what happened.

I think at the end of the day, the players who have busted their asses for the first 1/3 of a season deserve to play in front of packed Parra Stadium, it is not their or your faults that has caused this mess. If anything, don't frequent the f**king leagues club and hit their bottom line there. IMO, if you get under the cap and have the chance to play for points, get your asses out to their games and support them harder than you ever have before.

None of you guys deserve this, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but the fans of other teams also don't deserve to see their teams get beaten by a team that is illiegally paying/retaining/signing players. You can blame the NRL all you want for this but at the end of the day, the f**kwits running the board have done some pretty stupid shit and unfortunately have dragged everyone down with them.

Chin up and move forward. Easy to say as a NQ fan to say, I nearly lost my team in the early 2k's due to a bunch of f**king idiots running the club. A different scenario I know, but it was a reality check that your teams existence can never be taken for granted and you need to back your boys 100% regardless of who's wearing the jersey and the muppets at the top.

Classy. Well said and thanks for your empathy.

We really need to thank the NRL for pointing out that we are projected to be over this year's salary cap, while we still have the ability to change it.

Ratchy

Juniors
To a lesser extent you guys gloating are like Denis on a smaller scale. Everyone knows Sharpy is not the sharpest tool in the shed but however misguided he still put the club first. And stuck his neck out for Brad Arthur.

Sharp is a dope and a cheat along with the other 4.....if the latter is wrong then he needs to put up or shut up

oldmancraigy

Coach
We really need to thank the NRL for pointing out that we are projected to be over this year's salary cap, while we still have the ability to change it.

This is what I'm wondering...

I am not as familiar with the rules as I once was, but is it possible for us to be 'over the cap' before the appointed time of assessment?

I thought June 30 was the day of judgement, if Watmough retires before then, are we sweet? All points reinstated/ not taken away?

hindy111

Post Whore
This is what I'm wondering...

I am not as familiar with the rules as I once was, but is it possible for us to be 'over the cap' before the appointed time of assessment?

I thought June 30 was the day of judgement, if Watmough retires before then, are we sweet? All points reinstated/ not taken away?

2016 is over mate.

What happens if Parra just go f**k it we are a team and we will play as a team for no Points for the rest of the year for fun. Just enjoy the year as a team?

ash411

Bench
Can you get angry at the NRL for not being as thorough with the third party investigations into other clubs?

Can you get angry at the NRL for having a third party system that essentially gives a massive advantage to some teams every year?

Can you get angry at the NRL for delivering such a harsh penalty?

Can you get angry at the NRL for not realising this sooner?

Can you get angry at the NRL for not finding out the Storm sooner?

Can you get angry at the NRL for dragging this on as long as possible?

Can you get angry at the NRL for their laughable judiciary system that saw Paulo rubbed out for 8 weeks last year for an incident that some players get shit all for?

Please give me permission, Ash.

570k is basically sitting on the sideline this year anyway, the penalty does not match the crime.

Of course you can, most of that though is completely irrelevant right now.

We deserve a harsh punishment, that's the bottom line. He has said, as soon as we are under the cap he's happy for us to accrue points, he even said he'd be happy if we manage to get under the cap and win the comp.

Yes, they dragged it out too long, I'm with you on that. Yes the cap system (particularly TPA's) is stupid, I'm with you there too.

Be mad at the NRL if it makes you feel better, but don't be delusional in thinking this isn't our fault. We did this. The club is not the victim here, we as fans are, the players are, sure. but the club administration, no way sir.

Even if every other club in the NRL are cheating the cap doesn't change the fact that we were as well. We got caught, and are being punished as we should be.

Be mad about that.

ash411

Bench
2016 is over mate.

What happens if Parra just go f**k it we are a team and we will play as a team for no Points for the rest of the year for fun. Just enjoy the year as a team?

Nah. For the good of the club we need to make things right as soon as possible. Yeah it sucks balls, but we need to get right, so we can get on with moving forward.

I agree that this year is pretty much done, I don't see us getting compliant by next round, that's a big ask, and for us to have any chance at all, that needs to happen.

But that doesn't mean we should be playing with a team that's over the cap, in all honesty, it really isn't fair to the other teams, we'd be ropeable if we got beat by a team that was openly above the cap just playing for fun, and it cost us a spot in the 8.

Chipmunk

Coach
I know I am clutching at straws here but could Greenberg have come down harsh knowingly there is some evidence the eels have to reduce the penalty to up ease all the media speculation

The only way that we could reduce the major part of the penalty (the 12 months) is to demonstrate that we were not over the cap at the time of playing the matches that we have won.

Chipmunk

Coach
Not the sharpest tool is a bit too generous.

He believes we are under the cap this year despite us being $570k over. Perhaps his calculator is as drunk as he sounds every time he speaks?

Bottom line is that he is implicated by the NRL, and all those implicated simply must go.

In fairness to Sharpy, he probably wasn't to know that the NRL would determine that all our Third Party Agreements have to be included in our salary cap.

Realistically our Top 25 players as a whole are probably only being paid around "the middle of the road" compared to everyone else in the NRL, as everyone else's TPA's are not included in their cap.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Of course you can, most of that though is completely irrelevant right now.

We deserve a harsh punishment, that's the bottom line. He has said, as soon as we are under the cap he's happy for us to accrue points, he even said he'd be happy if we manage to get under the cap and win the comp.

Yes, they dragged it out too long, I'm with you on that. Yes the cap system (particularly TPA's) is stupid, I'm with you there too.

Be mad at the NRL if it makes you feel better, but don't be delusional in thinking this isn't our fault. We did this. The club is not the victim here, we as fans are, the players are, sure. but the club administration, no way sir.

Even if every other club in the NRL are cheating the cap doesn't change the fact that we were as well. We got caught, and are being punished as we should be.

Be mad about that.

we only got caught because they did a forensic audit yet today Weeks and Greenberg said all the other clubs were fine despite them not having been investigated like we were

the NRL are not doing enough to catch cheats

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
In fairness to Sharpy, he probably wasn't to know that the NRL would determine that all our Third Party Agreements have to be included in our salary cap.

Realistically our Top 25 players as a whole are probably only being paid around "the middle of the road" compared to everyone else in the NRL, as everyone else's TPA's are not included in their cap.

Yep and after the NRL audit last year which indicated we were good for this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.