What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoochies

First Grade
FITZGERALD: POLICE MUST GET INVOLVED
Former Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald was shocked by reports the Eels’ salary cap rorting involved payments of up to $3 million over the cap.
“That was the figure that shocked me because that’s undisclosed third-party agreements,” he said. “That leads to (questions about) is there fraud involved? I do believe the New South Wales police force must get involved and I do believe that the Australian Taxation (Office) should get involved too when that sort of money is being spoken about.”
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...t/news-story/808efa2d099a5c60396ca6ef09e3cf1a

Apologies if this has been posted already.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yep and after the NRL audit last year which indicated we were good for this year.

It's a little disappointing that they have determined our TPA's part of our salary cap, because if they didn't then we would be salary cap compliant for 2016 and realistically there was probably no precedent for taking away competition points if we were salary cap compliant in 2016. They've certainly found away to dock us some points that's for sure.

I'd imagine the board will probably challenge this point through the courts. After all, the board has nothing to lose now. I know I would.

Delboy

First Grade
We got caught because a self absorbed w*nker and his mate felt their egos were more important than the club

Those attending the AGM saw him at his best (actually worst)

I have never disliked anybody as much as him

the_eel

Juniors
Former Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald was shocked by reports the Eels? salary cap rorting involved payments of up to $3 million over the cap.
?That was the figure that shocked me because that?s undisclosed third-party agreements,? he said. ?That leads to (questions about) is there fraud involved? I do believe the New South Wales police force must get involved and I do believe that the Australian Taxation (Office) should get involved too when that sort of money is being spoken about.?
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...t/news-story/808efa2d099a5c60396ca6ef09e3cf1a

It never ends with this bloke does it?? All of us Eels fans are having a pretty rough day and this imbecile wants to rub salt into the wounds.

This is what I'm wondering...

I am not as familiar with the rules as I once was, but is it possible for us to be 'over the cap' before the appointed time of assessment?

I thought June 30 was the day of judgement, if Watmough retires before then, are we sweet? All points reinstated/ not taken away?

I don't get it either. You can't be over the cap some games and under the cap for others. The cap covers the entire year. You spend less than that amount, then you're under the cap that year. For the entire year. And like you, I don't see how we can be assessed as being over this year's cap yet. It can only be a projection at this point.

Of course, they could just punish us for trying to cheat the cap. Or for cheating it in previous years. :(

the_eel

Juniors
We got caught because a self absorbed w*nker and his mate felt their egos were more important than the club

I wasn't at the AGM but I'm with you, I've never disliked anyone as much as this bloke!

Joely01

Bench
Former Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald was shocked by reports the Eels? salary cap rorting involved payments of up to $3 million over the cap.
?That was the figure that shocked me because that?s undisclosed third-party agreements,? he said. ?That leads to (questions about) is there fraud involved? I do believe the New South Wales police force must get involved and I do believe that the Australian Taxation (Office) should get involved too when that sort of money is being spoken about.?

Please don't give this scum anymore airtime

Chipmunk

Coach

Who didn't they disclose the third party payments to? The NRL?

Why would police get involved in third party payments to a player? I'm guessing the player declared the income to the ATO...if not, what's that got to do with the club what a player doesn't declare to the ATO?

emjaycee

Coach
By close of business today I reckon the following should happen:
1) Sharp, Issa and Serrao stand-down from the Board of the PNRL, pending the outcome of the breach response;
2) Boulous and DA should be suspended from duties (without pay) pending the outcome of the breach response;
3) Geoff Gerard be announced as the new Chairman
4) Gerard should then announce Bevan Paul as the acting CEO of the PNRL until further notice

Bevan's first action should be to appoint Brian Smith and John Quayle to resolve the immediate Salary Cap issues.

We have 10 days until kick-off against Souffs - time to move people.

Ratchy

Juniors
Who didn't they disclose the third party payments to? The NRL?

Why would police get involved in third party payments to a player? I'm guessing the player declared the income to the ATO...if not, what's that got to do with the club what a player doesn't declare to the ATO?

Because fake invoices were used to cover up payments to players......

hineyrulz

Post Whore

We also got got because an incompetent chairman and his board of mongs were cheating. Yeah sure Fitzy is a grub who should be fired from a cannon into the sun but he wouldn't have anything to bring the club down with if these fools weren't cheating.

Ratchy

Juniors
We also got got because an incompetent chairman and his board of mongs were cheating. Yeah sure Fitzy is a grub who should be fired from a cannon into the sun but he wouldn't have anything to bring the club down with if these fools weren't cheating.

Precisely. The breaches aren't just about TPA's but also systematic cheating with under the table payments using fake invoices. If this is true I hope all the pricks responsible are prosecuted.

84 Baby

Referee
1) Sharp, Issa and Serrao stand-down from the Board of the PNRL, pending the outcome of the breach response;
2) Boulous and DA should be suspended from duties (without pay) pending the outcome of the breach response;
4) Gerard should then announce Bevan Paul as the acting CEO of the PNRL until further notice

Bevan's first action should be to appoint Brian Smith and John Quayle to resolve the immediate Salary Cap issues.

I bet it don't

Joely01

Bench
Outside of how annoyed I am right now.
I feel for the players, coaches and the fans. These are the ones that take this punishment the harder yet had nothing to do with any of this.

It's the time to really get behind the boys and BA, not say I'm going to support another club or not show up at games for the rest of the season.
Get to as many games as you can, get the parra chant going at every opportunity. We can and I believe we will make the 8. This is the tightest group of players I've seen at this club, and BA is the man for the job.
So instead of taking the easy way out and giving up, show your support more than ever to the people that need it most and deserve it!

I don't know who I can trust from the leagues club to manage our team. They allegedly still have to answer for fake invoices

amitropo

Juniors
So other clubs will not be investigated unless someone anonymously rings up for each individual club stating of their wrong doings.
I have full belief the the nrl is doing a great job and creating an even playing field.(cough)
Yes the club has made mistakes but this should create the opportunity for an investigation into all clubs so that we have a clean slate for 2017 for everyone with no re occurance in future with the right strategies in place from nrl.
If clubs are innocent they will open their doors for nrl to investigate them.

oldmancraigy

Coach

If we aren't playing the Souths game for points (ie, resolving the $570k issue), then we ought to all get our pitchforks.
This is the easy part, simply must be done.
They can argue until blue in the face that the $570k actually IS at arms length, and lets say they win, great. But the proceedings for that will drag longer than the Hoppa crap, even if we win those proceedings it may well be September already.

Get legal NOW. Get on with it. Our draw is not impossible, Sharks, Broncs, Storm are the big games - Storm is at Pirtek, almost a guaranteed win.
11 from 15 will do IMHO. Almost every year team 9 is on 26 points, that is who we are chasing (since our record would be top 4 worthy). And if teams like Sharks, Cowboys, Broncs and Storm keep winning (which they look like doing), then we may 'only' need 10 wins. The richer the rich are, the more the suffering of the middle class. We are chasing Panthers, Sea Eagles, Warriors, Dragons - all on 8 points.

Win into the bye, then we are on 8. My guess is those blokes will be on 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.