What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incorrect

Coach
Is it worth upsetting the balance and unity in the squad by pushing blokes out who have done nothing wrong, or are we better off playing for nothing this year to sort out this mess properly?

I'm leaning towards not making any rash decisions Re who stays and goes for the remainder of this year in the next 9 or 10 days in trying to get under the cap so that we play for points in 2016. It could be the case that while we're stuffing around trying to offload player x and player y for the rest of this year, Gould comes in under our nose and signs Norman for example.

By all means, get the Watmough situation sorted, but apart from that, I'd be inclined to sit back and take stock of what 2017 and 2018 are looking like at the moment. We know Watmough and Junior Paulo won't be around. DeGois probably won't be around. A decision needs to be made about Peats and Norman.

The attitude of the players and BA is most admirable and it's great that they are willing to rip in for the rest of 2016. But I'd hate for us to limp in to 9th or 10th spot, then assemble a squad for 2017 in the off-season with no Norman, Peats, Tep etc or couple of others we let go in the crazy days between losing the 12 points and the Rabbits game. It would likely see us back in the bottom 3 for the coming years... Then of course come the end of 2017, Foran has the option in his favour to stay or go...

pedge

Juniors
I'm leaning towards not making any rash decisions Re who stays and goes for the remainder of this year in the next 9 or 10 days in trying to get under the cap so that we play for points in 2016. It could be the case that while we're stuffing around trying to offload player x and player y for the rest of this year, Gould comes in under our nose and signs Norman for example.

By all means, get the Watmough situation sorted, but apart from that, I'd be inclined to sit back and take stock of what 2017 and 2018 are looking like at the moment. We know Watmough and Junior Paulo won't be around. DeGois probably won't be around. A decision needs to be made about Peats and Norman.

The attitude of the players and BA is most admirable and it's great that they are willing to rip in for the rest of 2016. But I'd hate for us to limp in to 9th or 10th spot, then assemble a squad for 2017 in the off-season with no Norman, Peats, Tep etc or couple of others we let go in the crazy days between losing the 12 points and the Rabbits game. It would likely see us back in the bottom 3 for the coming years... Then of course come the end of 2017, Foran has the option in his favour to stay or go...

X10
This year is done
12/15 just isn't gonna happen
Take your time
Play for no points for a few weeks or the whole season if need be
Get your side in the best position for 2017

Gronk

Staff member
X10
This year is done
Take your time

That's not what the players and coach want pedge.

Ratchy

Juniors
X10
This year is done
Take your time

That will alienate the players and the coaching staff to the point when contracts are they are like rats deserting a sinking ship. The first thing for anyone to do is get the team under the cap to play for points then worry about the other stuff.

pedge

Juniors
That's not what the players and coach want pedge.
I understand that
They don't want to trundle through the next few months with nothing to play for
I applaud them for they're attitude and will be they're to cheer them on
But I will also be extremely saddened if we throw away opportunities for next year and beyond as a result

Chipmunk

Coach
Denis was on the 2ky BSB this morning, interview was sounding like a job interview. Happy to help out if asked.

It's tough with Sharp and co required to stand down, we have no one to take their places. We really need someone other then Denis putting their hand up, like Mortimer did with the dogs. Just as a temporary measure so a plan can be put in place.

Does it really matter who it is? They're going to be subjected to the exact same factional crap that has plagued the club for what is now the best part of a decade.

Why would anyone in their right mind even remotely consider putting their hand up to put up with that? I'm sure if Sharpy could turn the clock back 3 years he never would have bothered.

Chipmunk

Coach
The only way that the club is going to even remotely have any chance of getting under the cap in the next 10 days is if Watmough retires. Outside of that you might as well piss on a fan.

Ratchy

Juniors
Does it really matter who it is? They're going to be subjected to the exact same factional crap that has plagued the club for what is now the best part of a decade.

Why would anyone in their right mind even remotely consider putting their hand up to put up with that? I'm sure if Sharpy could turn the clock back 3 years he never would have bothered.

If the team is successful on the field but more importantly the front office has its I's dotted and T's crossed then the snipers dont have ammunition to fire.

Last edited:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
The only way that the club is going to even remotely have any chance of getting under the cap in the next 10 days is if Watmough retires. Outside of that you might as well piss on a fan.

why cant we do a rally to f**k him off?

and even though Morgs is gone, do one for him just for good measure.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

I don't fully understand the whole background to the politics in our club.

But when Denis was in control of the club, did anyone "white ant" him ? Or just let him run the club?

When Spag was chairman, did anyone "white ant" him? Or just let him run the club?

Obviously come election time there has been a lot of tention over the years but it seems only Sharps term has had a massive amount of "white anting" happening.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
As I said from the beginning of yesterday, and as the article states, Watmough's exemption will be backdated to the time of injury.

If we get cap exemption because of it then we get our points back.

If the insurance company accepts the payout then they take legal responsibility for Watmough's salary from the point of injury and the NRL cannot place it on us.

At this point, we're a lock to win any court case.

So, if the payout is backdated to before the first game of 2016 and if the sum is larger than the cap breach - we get out points back.

How many times do I have to post this?

One more time for the dummies:D

I think what you are missing thou. Is we are only over the cap from TPA's now being included under the cap right? But also the way we tried to hide TPA's. We are talking some dodgie shit.Money under tables- Inflated invoices - CASH etc.... You could argue that our team is under cap so we get points and the members get sacked for wrong doing but i think the punishment has a lot to do with the way the crime was committed.

hindy111

Post Whore
I doubt watmough will save us more than 250-300k .... we up paddling up shit creek

Why he is on 600K + Morgan

Back to the point thou if we cant comply why dont we just keep the team together and write this year off. Use it to build for 2017 and unite everyone. I am not sure what is to be gained by shedding guys and attempting to make up the 12 points. Id understand if we where given our points back but thats a HUGE stretch

strider

Post Whore
I don't fully understand the whole background to the politics in our club.

But when Denis was in control of the club, did anyone "white ant" him ? Or just let him run the club?

When Spag was chairman, did anyone "white ant" him? Or just let him run the club?

Denis ruled the roost. It was his board and his staff. No one to whiteant him.

Spags n co ended up with Denis off side - they sacked him.

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't think we get our points back HJ. You can stop posting it imo.

The points penalty is not just for our cap compliance, it's also for our non-reporting (which can't be backdated or vanished just because Watmough gets a payout) and for a range of other alleged things to do with our contracting system over the past three years.

The breach notice is 60 pages long, it can't be waived just because Watmough's retirement is deemed cap exempt in May.

You say a lot of thing i am thinking but in a more professional manner. Imagine we put our brains together. FMD we could take on the world
Like stinky and the brain brain brain.

Anyone recall on friday night HINDY111 said 12 points? He was mocked. See how i used sportsbets odds to determine it:D You where one who believed in my theory.Thanks bro

strider

Post Whore
Why he is on 600K + Morgan

Back to the point thou if we cant comply why dont we just keep the team together and write this year off. Use it to build for 2017 and unite everyone. I am not sure what is to be gained by shedding guys and attempting to make up the 12 points. Id understand if we where given our points back but thats a HUGE stretch

Its may. He has been paid since november. We will only save what is left, ie about 5 months worth.

Melbourne would not be taking all morgs salary. Just a portion of the remaining 5 months. And it might not even be a large portion

IFR33K

Coach
NRL has put us in between a rock and a hard place, re playing for points. I think maybe BA was talking yesterday with his heart. I admire his passion, but it's going to be hard shedding players to be cap compliant. Id run an illegal team out each week and worry about 2017. I dare say we'd need to shed 3/4 players to be cap compliant, if watmough doesn't retire.

Gronk

Staff member
I doubt watmough will save us more than 250-300k .... we up paddling up shit creek

I agree. We'll need a lot of luck to shed a few players in time. Might even have to get the NRL to reconsider the legitimacy of a few TPAs that currently have been deemed within the cap as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.