What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

hindy111

Post Whore
Its may. He has been paid since november. We will only save what is left, ie about 5 months worth.

Melbourne would not be taking all morgs salary. Just a portion of the remaining 5 months. And it might not even be a large portion

DO you think the NRL care? They just want something to feed the media-They know everyone is not squeeky clean but also have a reputation to keep.They probably did know about parra last year and swept it under carpet a little not knowing who had info and leaked it to media.

Yeah watmough retired he was on 600k their you go now shut up DT. Lets get back to selling our product and making $$$.

You have GWS and WSW in middle of this.And NRL are aware parra is one of their biggest diamonds in selling their product.

Gronk

Staff member
NRL has put us in between a rock and a hard place, re playing for points. I think maybe BA was talking yesterday with his heart. I admire his passion, but it's going to be hard shedding players to be cap compliant. Id run an illegal team out each week and worry about 2017. I dare say we'd need to shed 3/4 players to be cap compliant, if watmough doesn't retire.

We all use the term "shed" but the reality of it is that we need to invite offers from teams that have cap space and then tap on of our playing group on the shoulder. They are obviously a tight knit group and it will not be a easy process. More tough times ahead for the payers.

EDIT: I wonder how were are placed if Foran says he wants the rest of the year off due to mental issues ?

Kornstar

Coach
Does it really matter who it is? They're going to be subjected to the exact same factional crap that has plagued the club for what is now the best part of a decade.

Why would anyone in their right mind even remotely consider putting their hand up to put up with that? I'm sure if Sharpy could turn the clock back 3 years he never would have bothered.

I could think of nothing better than the challenge of running the Eels. You would be involved in the club you love, you would get to see the inside of how the football operations work, have the challenges of the salary cap and balancing that.

You would be contributing something that means so much to so many people. You could be part of building the culture and instilling values upon the club and the people it employs, including the players.

It would be hard work, long hours, plenty of stress and you would be constantly learning. It sounds like a dream to me.......

hindy111

Post Whore
I could think of nothing better than the challenge of running the Eels. You would be involved in the club you love, you would get to see the inside of how the football operations work, have the challenges of the salary cap and balancing that.

You would be contributing something that means so much to so many people. You could be part of building the culture and instilling values upon the club and the people it employs, including the players.

It would be hard work, long hours, plenty of stress and you would be constantly learning. It sounds like a dream to me.......

Well i am a tradie - I always get asked - What about for cash so im used to how this works

Gronk

Staff member
It will all depend on how the NRL treat Watmough's insurance claim should it be approved.

Who actually makes the call on if the injury is pre-existing or not ? The NRL's doctor or the Insurer ? Are the NRL "self insured" from a fund established or is there an external Lloyds or Vero making the call ?

ek999

First Grade
I think if your management was open and honest with the NRL re your salary cap position they would show some leniency to you with how they treat Watmoughs retirement. As it stands at the moment I can't see them helping you out at all

ek999

First Grade
Find it hard if the doctor says no he is ok to play. And if watmough hurts himself would the doctor then be liable to be sued? It would be a safe bet the Doctor says retire.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...e/news-story/10002fff329f1d4e9e87f4ba6765dff8

It's more around whether or not it is a new injury or a pre-existing one when you signed him. If he is retiring because of an injury he already had when you signed him his payments will still count under the cap. That's how I understand it works anyway

Incorrect

Coach
That will alienate the players and the coaching staff to the point when contracts are they are like rats deserting a sinking ship. The first thing for anyone to do is get the team under the cap to play for points then worry about the other stuff.

This is a club starved of success for 30 years. We're not the Storm, or Boncos or Manly or the Bulldogs who can point to having won a premiership in each of the last 3 decades (or thereabouts) and been near the top of the tree when they haven't won a title. Up until yesterday there was anticipation that maybe we could challenge this year but now that chance, IMO, is unrealistic given a) we need to find 570K to shave from this years cap before next Friday, b) 5 directors won't stand down and c), winning 12 of 15 games is extraordinarily tough in any era of the NRL, let alone when you don't know when you're captain will be back playing again (and keep in mind to win a premiership this year, even if we manage to play for points from next Friday onwards, will mean winning 16 of the next 19 games if you take Finals in to account!).

Do we risk going back to seeing results and performances we had to endure from 2011-2013 come 2017 and beyond?? Or do we have so much faith in BA that we back him to keep the squad competitive no matter who's on the books next year? I think he's great at what he does and I am glad he is our coach in these trying times, but even the great Wayne Bennett bailed on Newy when he realised that coaching teams without rep quality stars was a tougher gig than he could be bothered handling.

I understand the players and coach want it all to play for this year and I admire that. But I'm thinking longer term. Yes we suffered a massive setback yesterday but it doesn't have to set us back 5-10 years. We can still get our shit together and build on this year's on field performances for the next 3 years if we take a deep breath and take stock of the situation.

Stagger eel

Staff member
it pains me to say it but im Leaning towards writing the season off all together, getting cap compliant is too big a process to complete in 10 days, besides I'm not quite sure if I'm emotionally happy to play finals football this year anyway..

Chipmunk

Coach
If the team is successful on the field but more importantly the front office has its I's dotted and T's crossed then the snipers dont have ammunition to fire.

I don't fully understand the whole background to the politics in our club.

But when Denis was in control of the club, did anyone "white ant" him ? Or just let him run the club?

When Spag was chairman, did anyone "white ant" him? Or just let him run the club?

Obviously come election time there has been a lot of tention over the years but it seems only Sharps term has had a massive amount of "white anting" happening.

Well keyboard warriors, stick your hands up and have a crack. This is the time your club needs you.

IFR33K

Coach
We all use the term "shed" but the reality of it is that we need to invite offers from teams that have cap space and then tap on of our playing group on the shoulder. They are obviously a tight knit group and it will not be a easy process. More tough times ahead for the payers.

EDIT: I wonder how were are placed if Foran says he wants the rest of the year off due to mental issues ?

Could u imagine the uproar if say the dogs will help us out, by taking Norman and semi off our hands???? Would be a massive case of Greenberg strikes again.

IFR33K

Coach
it pains me to say it but im Leaning towards writing the season off all together, getting cap compliant is too big a process to complete in 10 days, besides I'm not quite sure if I'm emotionally happy to play finals football this year anyway..

Only way we will be playing finals footy is if we appeal and win....

Incorrect

Coach

That's the other point. Would the team be admired by outsiders if they managed, against all odds, to make the Finals this year? Or would they be loathed and derided as cap cheats who should have been given the spoon instead of a Finals berth?

We all know how we felt when it turned out that the team we lost the 09 GF to were found to be cheating. How would the team finishing 9th this year feel if we made the Finals? Ripped off I assume...

Gronk

Staff member
That's the other point. Would the team be admired by outsiders if they managed, against all odds, to make the Finals this year? Or would they be loathed and derided as cap cheats who should have been given the spoon instead of a Finals berth?

We all know how we felt when it turned out that the team we lost the 09 GF to were found to be cheating. How would the team finishing 9th this year feel if we made the Finals? Ripped off I assume...

If we shed players (like Watmerkin and 2 quality players) then some will maintain the cheat tag. Most NRL fans would acknowledge that we have done what was asked.

Working against us is the rhetoric of Greenberg's "they have breached the cap 5 out of the past 6 years". That all sounds very sinister, but much of our "breaches" were petty car allowances, NYC and 2nd tier stuff that most clubs deal with every year.

We need some facts to be released to establish exactly what we did and how it effected the cap each year. Maybe then we can claw back some credibility - or not. :(

Kornstar

Coach
Well keyboard warriors, stick your hands up and have a crack. This is the time your club needs you.

Are you kidding? Keyboard warrior because I said it would be a dream? You have to be qualified, do you propose I just email the club and tell them I'm ready to take over and they will just bring me in????

I would imagine it is a little bit harder than that. I'm not sure me emailing the club and saying " hey, if love to take over the joint and my experience with football operations is zero and I've never been a CEO or operations manager but I am a solution architect of a HR/Payroll system for a very large government organisation.

I have great reconciliation skills and am good at my job, how about you give me a chance in the big dance cause I am a passionate supporter and love this club more than my family and am willing to learn everything possible and give as many hours and days as it takes.

Go on, take a shot, I can't do worse"

if it was that easy I would have done it long ago!

Gronk

Staff member
Are you kidding? Keyboard warrior because I said it would be a dream? You have to be qualified, do you propose I just email the club and tell them I'm ready to take over and they will just bring me in????

I would imagine it is a little bit harder than that. I'm not sure me emailing the club and saying " hey, if love to take over the joint and my experience with football operations is zero and I've never been a CEO or operations manager but I am a solution architect of a HR/Payroll system for a very large government organisation.

I have great reconciliation skills and am good at my job, how about you give me a chance in the big dance cause I am a passionate supporter and love this club more than my family and am willing to learn everything possible and give as many hours and days as it takes.

Go on, take a shot, I can't do worse"

if it was that easy I would have done it long ago!

It worked for Corey Payne. ;-)

He is currently working at head office for grocery giant Woolworths, and won't start at the Panthers until May.
Gould had been searching for a new rugby league chief executive for more than a month, and even when Payne asked Gould for a tour of the club's new academy, the Panthers general manager was unaware the former Canterbury, Wests Tigers and Dragons player would be interested in the top job.
"I was excited by it and I asked Gus 'who is going to be leading the show here' and 'who is the CEO?'," Payne said during his tour of the $22 million facility.
"He said they're looking for one. That's when I told him I'd be pretty interested in having a discussion about that to which Gus responded, 'Be careful for what you wish for'.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-successor-20160415-go7fjt.html#ixzz47dhTWLP3
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.