What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

giboz71

First Grade
Frizell, JDB, Thompson and Mathews all play a similar game. Wonder how we plan to use him (edge or middle?).

Will likely play lock and play a Taumalolo like role. If he recaptures his form, I'd be happy with this.

TruSaint

Referee
Considering he is from the courier mail, unless they have a good source, they overestimate contract values for any players signing for any clubs other than the Broncos. I'd think it is pretty close to the mark.

So 400k per year yeah ? I was hesitant about his signing due to past injuries and suspensions, but 400k for a rep player is good value.

Dragons 09

Juniors
This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense - surely 2nd row is not a burning issue for us atm, unless Bryce Cartright wanted to come over to the light side I.e. A ball playing forward. Dragons always seems to recruit based on who is offered to them rather than what we actually need for the future. .

Lol, you sound like me. :lol::lol:

From an objective view though, I sort of understand it. Benny Creagh would have to be considering life after footy. Marketo off contract at the end of the season (do we re-sign him?) and we do have a few "fringe" forwards that while they won't let you down, they are not game breakers or demanding selection either.

There's also not a lot of forward talent coming off contract at other clubs that we would get at a reasonable price at years end so taking a "gift horse" while it's available is probably not the silliest thing we have done in recent times.

Also, if channelled correctly, his aggression is something that will be a welcoming attribute.........we probably haven't had anyone since Jeremy Smith and Beau Scott left us that can create doubt in the minds of the opposition even before the players take the field. If he can use his aggression effectively without being suspended every 5 minutes, then the likes of Thommo and Packer may lift on the back of this and grow even bigger gonads?..imagine being the most feared pack in the NRL?.ahhhhh, we can only dream!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Creagh surely must be considering retirement. Sims will fit straight in to his spot. I would also look at moving Matthews as well as Marketo. I think Thomo will stay on a reduced salary of around the 350k mark over 3 years. Seems to be enjoying his time in the red V. He has been injury prone and done a fair bit of time suspended. I would not offer more than 400k to be honest. If he wants more see you later.

Saints should also consider chasing Jahrome Hughes from the Cowboys. This kid looks like he has potential to be a star. He was good on Sat night for the Cows and scored a nice try. Type of half we need. He would also come cheaper than Keary.

Old Timer

Coach
Are we going to be the home for every dead end kid in the NRL?

We keep thinking there are bargain buys out there.

Our mindset is "No wouldn't take him for $550K but $400 yeah he is good value"

We need to get it through our thick heads there are no bargain basement buys out there but there are plenty of "didn't quite make it" players commanding reasonable money on the basis that they still might get there. Ho hum we've already got plenty of them.

The only bargains are within our juniors and they should be harvested well before these so called "bargains"

I respect what Packer has managed to do for himself and the club but in all honesty he has not put a "test match" performance together but he is in his 1st season back.

Whereas Simms has been on the paddock each year save for time out for suspension and he has not turned in 1 SOO performance yet will still command around $400K.

We are supposed to be recruiting for first grade no the bloody Cutters.

This will be a huge slap in the face for our emerging juniors which by the way Ben Creagh once was and went on to be a great player because we developed him at an early age.

If we sign Simms for 3 years i hope Jacob Host says stick it in your arse and then gets snapped up by Bellamy and pounds the shit out of us because that's what we deserve.

God-King Dean

Immortal
This is a great signing

With our attacking style (crap), we depend on having big forwards getting over the top. As it stands, we have a small pack. The combination of Masoe & Sims gives me some hope for next season.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Are we going to be the home for every dead end kid in the NRL?

We keep thinking there are bargain buys out there.

Our mindset is "No wouldn't take him for $550K but $400 yeah he is good value"

We need to get it through our thick heads there are no bargain basement buys out there but there are plenty of "didn't quite make it" players commanding reasonable money on the basis that they still might get there. Ho hum we've already got plenty of them.

The only bargains are within our juniors and they should be harvested well before these so called "bargains"

I respect what Packer has managed to do for himself and the club but in all honesty he has not put a "test match" performance together but he is in his 1st season back.

Whereas Simms has been on the paddock each year save for time out for suspension and he has not turned in 1 SOO performance yet will still command around $400K.

We are supposed to be recruiting for first grade no the bloody Cutters.

This will be a huge slap in the face for our emerging juniors which by the way Ben Creagh once was and went on to be a great player because we developed him at an early age.

If we sign Simms for 3 years i hope Jacob Host says stick it in your arse and then gets snapped up by Bellamy and pounds the shit out of us because that's what we deserve.

You're sounding a little a cranky there Old Timer:lol:

BrissyRedV

Bench
There is a connection between Badel and Scott Hill, Sims' manager.
Peter Badel is a good bloke and gets good mail.

He may be, just always hesitant to call a writer for the courier mail a "source" though... Mainly for the Brisbane connection... A number have papers have now picked up the same figure though so has to be close the mark which I see as reasonable and can only strengthen our pack.

No way in hell you got sims for 400k. You mob are kidding yourselves. I read today that he rejected an upgraded contract from the knights. We were already paying him 600k. I dont think he would take a 200k pay cut to go to the dragons. He only just moved his family to newcastle and bought a house, plus his brother lives in newcastle. He had every reason to stay in newcastle.

He would be on 600k minimum.

No way in hell you got sims for 400k. You mob are kidding yourselves. I read today that he rejected an upgraded contract from the knights. We were already paying him 600k. I dont think he would take a 200k pay cut to go to the dragons. He only just moved his family to newcastle and bought a house, plus his brother lives in newcastle. He had every reason to stay in newcastle.

Probably took a pay cut to get away from the Knights

mobels

Juniors

I'd guess he was willing to take the pay cut because he's realized that by the time Knights have rebuilt he'd be to old and unwanted by any other clubs or by the Knights itself.

+ The Knights only offered a 1 year extension at a reduced price of his current contract.

BrissyRedV

Bench

:lol: if the source was the Illawarra Mercury I would agree. But the source is Peter Badel of the Qld Courier Mail. He would be more likely to inflate the figure not decrease it!

Old Timer

Coach
You're sounding a little a cranky there Old Timer:lol:

Too bloody right I am cranky.

In Host we have a young man who has done everything that has been asked of him culminating in Jnr Kangaroo selection.

He has devoted his young career to playing in the Big Red V

Twice he has been selected to make his first grade debut and twice he has been denied.

Now we pick up Simms a classic "failed to reach his potential footballer" who has already had to quit 1 club for family reasons.

Gone to the Knights with a whole lot of trumpets blaring as to what he was going to do and to date he has barely pushed a fart in anger for the club "he wanted to be part of"

All the Nathan Brown fans on this forum saying what a good judge of a footballer he is, yet he fails to secure Simms for the next season let alone the rest of this one by the look of it so is Browny smarter or dumber than our lot?

Someone posted about "the hit" Simms put on Hodges for God's sake it was 2 years ago how many hits has Simms done since then? I suggest 2 that got him 2 x 5 week suspensions.

We sign more pie eaters than any other club and some of the fans on this forum forget about what they talked about 5 minutes ago re looking after and blooding the juniors.

They instantly get on the band waggon of how good the pie eater will be for the club and forget about the cost to the developing junior.

The last real pie eater that was any good was big Artie but we keep signing them and to top it off we give em party pies.

All the Tyronne McCarthy for 1st grade fans put your hands back up, because he was going to be the one remember but somehow he never got past sausage rolls.

Rookiedragon1

Juniors
Sim,frizell,masoe,packer,jdb,tommo,cooper,ah mau,Mathews, starting to look like a solid pack!! Now we need someone decent to replace Marshall!

BalmainBoy_1969

Juniors
I met Tariqs mum once. It was about 2008 or 2009 I think and I hadn't even heard the name Tariq by this stage, but we discussed Ashton.

She told me that she was still a Dragons supporter and not happy at all with Ashton playing for the Broncos. She also said Ashton didn't really want to go, and loved the Dragons, but suggested that it wasn't his decision.

I really think that this signing bodes well. It was meant to happen. :D

TruSaint

Referee
I met Tariqs mum once. It was about 2008 or 2009 I think and I hadn't even heard the name Tariq by this stage, but we discussed Ashton.

She told me that she was still a Dragons supporter and not happy at all with Ashton playing for the Broncos. She also said Ashton didn't really want to go, and loved the Dragons, but suggested that it wasn't his decision.

I really think that this signing bodes well. It was meant to happen. :D

Nice... yep I remember Ash when he started at Saints. I thought he would represent for sure.