What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benny Creagh

TruSaint

Referee
From a lanky winger to mixing it with pigs up front. A true team mate, and an example for kids coming through. Has done it all. Legend in the true sense. Will be missed, but hopefully his example of commitment and loyalty will carry on. Go well champ.

The NRL need more like this man.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hornby + Young: Creagh A True Leader
Thu 18th August, 09:00AM
A A

Former St George Illawarra Dragons duo Ben Hornby and Dean Young reflect on the career of teammate Ben Creagh, who announced his retirement from rugby league on Thursday.

The local University of Wollongong junior played 270 first-grade fixtures as a one-club man and retires as the second most-capped first-grade player in the Club's history, behind only Hornby (273).

Creagh, 31, sustained a complex knee injury in Round 3 against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at the Sydney Cricket Ground which has limited him to only three first-grade fixtures so far this season.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/08/18/hornby_young_creagh_.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Creagh To Retire At Season's End
Thu 18th August, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Club Captain Ben Creagh announced on Thursday that he has decided to retire from rugby league, at season's end, after 270 first-grade games.

The local University of Wollongong junior sustained a complex knee injury in Round 3 against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at the Sydney Cricket Ground which has limited him to only three first-grade fixtures so far this season.

Creagh, 31, will retire as the second most-capped first-grade player in the Club's history, behind only previous Captain Ben Hornby (273).

“I have loved my time playing rugby league for the Dragons but unfortunately my hand has been forced with the knee injury getting worse over the course of this season,” said Creagh.

“It has been hard decision to make with my heart willing me on to continue playing first-grade for this great Club but deep down I know this is the right decision to make.

“I have been so lucky being a local junior to have represented the Dragons and will retire at the end of the season with a lot of fond memories.”

Creagh made his first-grade debut for the Dragons towards the end of the 2003 season against the New Zealand Warriors at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah (Round 22).

The record four-time Dragons ‘Player of the Year’ (2007, 2009, 2010, 2014) has won many honours over his 14-season career including a Premiership (2010) and World Club Challenge (2011) with the Club.

Furthermore, Creagh has been capped twice for the Australia Kangaroos as well as representing the NSW Blues on 11 occasions (2009-12) and NSW Country Origin team seven times (2005-10, 2012).

“I have been so fortunate to accomplish so much with the pinnacle being the 2010 Premiership win which was done with a terrific group of players and a lot of hard work and determination,” said Creagh.

“I have also had the opportunity to represent both my country and state which is a dream for every young player as well as being entrusted to captain the Dragons these past four seasons which I have done so with great pride and honour.”

Creagh graduated with a Bachelors of Commerce from the University of Wollongong in 2013 having helped to found the Graduate of League (GOL) program a year earlier.

GOL was established to increase university entry, retention and completion rates of elite athletes and professional sports people which is something that the second-rower remains passionate about.

“Going to university has given me great peace of mind as I begin preparing for the next stage in my life with my growing family,” said Creagh.

“I am so proud to see how the Graduates of League program has grown since its inception four years ago and that it is helping players across the NRL remain in university and help prepare them too for life after football.”

Dragons CEO Peter Doust has praised the one-club player on his service to the Dragons both on and off the field, during a standout career.

“Ben has had a long and proud career here at the Dragons and is well regarded by everyone who knows him,” said Doust.

“Playing 14 seasons in the NRL is a respected accomplishment and to be able to do that for the same-club makes the achievement even more commendable.

“Ben has been a leader here at our Club and a valued contributor towards the overall game of rugby league through his capacity in co-founding the Graduates of League program.

"On behalf of everyone at the Dragons I thank Ben for his services and wish both he and his family the very best for their future.”

Dragons Head Coach Paul McGregor was similar in his sentiments towards Creagh.

“Ben has been a significant part of our football club for over a decade and a leader amongst the playing group,” said McGregor.

“He has led by example both on the field and off it so it is a shame that he has been forced to retire but his decision personifies his character in always wanting to put the Club first.

“The entire playing squad wish him all the very best and we thank him for his invaluable contribution to the Dragons.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/08/18/creagh_to_retire_at_.html

Uplifting

Juniors
Congratulations to Ben Creagh on his career. He got to do something he really enjoyed, and has carried himself with integrity.

I hope he gets an opportunity in a new career that he is equally passionate about (clearly can't be merely number crunching).

kit66

Bench
He's a good man Ben Creagh, did his best for us and stayed true to the big Red V. Thanks for that champ.
I wish him all the best for the future.He can look back with pride and lots of great memories for sure.

monsterkev

Juniors
i wonder if he got the tap on the shoulder and was forced by the club to retire to free up money for salary cap

Mr Red

First Grade
i wonder if he got the tap on the shoulder and was forced by the club to retire to free up money for salary cap

Don't think they needed to. More like his injury is worse than first thought so he realised its time to go as his body simply isn't up to another season...

Dragonbaal

Juniors
*removed*
Dont know about maroon for life maybe moron for life-go back to you hovel and let us enjoy one of our all time great club men. At least he doesnt have to be put in the sleeper hold in a pub because he is a drunken idiot like Roberts, he is a true role ,pdel, not an overpaid twit!! QLD and the Bonko\s suck!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Great clubman and a true gentleman of the game and club.Never got involved in the rubbish and a real role model for any young player.

MilanDragon

Juniors
What a champion! Both as a player and bloke. Would be good to see him put his Commerce degree into practice and potentially come back in an executive role within the club.

Old Timer

Coach
Benny Creagh a great club man, great footballer and a decent human being.
As someone else said he would be a great asset to the clubs administration down the track as he is one person who has already set out on a path for life after football and isn't expecting any handouts.

Crossbow

Juniors
You are the man.One of my all time favourite Dragons.Still remember an SCG game benny pouring into the whole streaking up field can't remember if you scored but it was awesome.Thankyou

Latest posts