What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

Frank Facer

First Grade
A bit of a story..

A few years ago I was out at Palmer & Co in the city with a few folk and not long into the night Steve Price and Corey Pearson sat right next to me, October 2012 after his first season as coach. Soon I'd peeled away from my group and the three of us were chatting for hours over many drinks. Both top blokes gotta say but on topic..... (I hear people thinking what the f*ck has this got to do with James Graham)..

Amongst talking all things footy and horseshit, I asked Steve who is the one player you'd sign up if money/current contracts were no object. Without any hesitation he replied back instantly "James Graham".

At first I was surprised. Remember this was 2012.. why not Smith, Thurston, Cronk, Inglis, Foran, Hayne.... but without hesitation again, they were dismissed - Graham was the man.

Effectively he replied that James Graham was everything a coach wants. His dedication, belief, attitude, toughness, workrate and leadership on the field was world-class. He was a forward people wanted to play alongside and would leave absolutely nothing on the field after a game. He is a team man, who is both actions and words to get the best out of himself and everyone around him. He will do whatever it takes.

Roll forward 6 years, those words ring in my ears. In a season where the dragons have been up and down like a fiddlers elbow - no one can question James Graham. He's been everything said in that bar 6 years ago.

I thought we'd really struggle after the loss of Russell Packer last year. But as good as Russell Packer was for us - James Graham has more than filled that gap.
Good post mate.

Bench
I always liked his attitude when playing with the Grubs, he never wanted to come off the field and still doesn’t.
I hope that when he does retire we offer him a position with the coaching staff. Having him looking after our forwards would be worth it. I think in his short time with us our forwards have improved.

TruSaint

Referee
Cant buy passion, guts and a desire to win.

JG ticks all boxes. Like many have said, even when he was playing for the Dogs, I had admiration for him.

A fighter who gives his all.

Not the biggest, not the fastest, not the most skillful, but the player most opponent DO NOT want to face.

End of.

getsmarty

Immortal
grahamj-171125062.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Graham selected in England squad
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Wed 3 Oct 2018, 10:29 AM

St George Illawarra front-rower James Graham has been named in England's squad for their upcoming Tests against France and New Zealand.

England will face France on October 17 before commencing a three-Test series against New Zealand which will see them travel to Hull (October 27), Liverpool (November 4) and Leeds (November 11).

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop (shoulder) was one of six players from England's 2017 World Cup squad who were ruled out due to injury.

Graham will be joined by Rabbitohs trio Sam, George and Tom Burgess and Raiders duo Josh Hodgson and Elliott Whitehead in England's squad, while former Warriors custodian Sam Tomkins may feature for the national side for the first time in four years.

England squad to face France and New Zealand:

• John Bateman (Wigan Warriors, Bradford Dudley Hill)
  • George Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)
  • Sam Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)
  • Tom Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)
  • Daryl Clark (Warrington Wolves, Fryston Warriors)
  • Jake Connor (Hull FC, Siddal)
  • Luke Gale (Castleford Tigers, Middleton Marauders)
  • James Graham (St George Illawarra Dragons, Blackbrook)
  • Joe Greenwood (Wigan Warriors, Saddleworth Rangers)
  • Chris Hill (Warrington Wolves, New Springs Lions)
  • Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders, East Hull)
  • Tom Johnstone (Wakefield Trinity, Stanningley)
  • Jonny Lomax (St Helens, Orrell St James)
  • Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity, Ideal Isberg)
  • Tommy Makinson (St Helens, Wigan St Judes)
  • Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants, Deighton Juniors)
  • Adam Milner (Castleford Tigers, Stanley Rangers)
  • Sean O’Loughlin (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)
  • Mark Percival (St Helens, Halton Farnworth Hornets)
  • Stefan Ratchford (Warrington Wolves, Wigan St Patricks)
  • Luke Thompson (St Helens, Bold Miners)
  • Sam Tomkins (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)
  • Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders, West Bowling)
  • George Williams (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/10/03/graham-selected-in-england-squad/

Wittenberg

Juniors
Graham really stepped up when we lost Vaughan. If he had been able to stay on the field more in the game we would have beaten the Rabbits. As for Lodge, pure grub, and that last 10 minutes against the Broncos convinced me that Lawrie is a really tough young guy who will turn into someone special.

grahamj-171125062.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Graham selected in England squad
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Wed 3 Oct 2018, 10:29 AM

St George Illawarra front-rower James Graham has been named in England's squad for their upcoming Tests against France and New Zealand.

England will face France on October 17 before commencing a three-Test series against New Zealand which will see them travel to Hull (October 27), Liverpool (November 4) and Leeds (November 11).

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop (shoulder) was one of six players from England's 2017 World Cup squad who were ruled out due to injury.

Graham will be joined by Rabbitohs trio Sam, George and Tom Burgess and Raiders duo Josh Hodgson and Elliott Whitehead in England's squad, while former Warriors custodian Sam Tomkins may feature for the national side for the first time in four years.

England squad to face France and New Zealand:

• John Bateman (Wigan Warriors, Bradford Dudley Hill)
  • George Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)
  • Sam Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)
  • Tom Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)
  • Daryl Clark (Warrington Wolves, Fryston Warriors)
  • Jake Connor (Hull FC, Siddal)
  • Luke Gale (Castleford Tigers, Middleton Marauders)
  • James Graham (St George Illawarra Dragons, Blackbrook)
  • Joe Greenwood (Wigan Warriors, Saddleworth Rangers)
  • Chris Hill (Warrington Wolves, New Springs Lions)
  • Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders, East Hull)
  • Tom Johnstone (Wakefield Trinity, Stanningley)
  • Jonny Lomax (St Helens, Orrell St James)
  • Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity, Ideal Isberg)
  • Tommy Makinson (St Helens, Wigan St Judes)
  • Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants, Deighton Juniors)
  • Adam Milner (Castleford Tigers, Stanley Rangers)
  • Sean O’Loughlin (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)
  • Mark Percival (St Helens, Halton Farnworth Hornets)
  • Stefan Ratchford (Warrington Wolves, Wigan St Patricks)
  • Luke Thompson (St Helens, Bold Miners)
  • Sam Tomkins (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)
  • Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders, West Bowling)
  • George Williams (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/10/03/graham-selected-in-england-squad/
The Poms get to play four Tests.. Kiwis three. We get to play just two. That would have been a whole one had not a compromise been made re the Tonga game. When was the last time the Poms toured here? When was the last time we toured England for a full tour including warm ups/tour games?

getsmarty

Immortal
mcgillvary_graham_myler.jpeg

TEAM LISTS

Graham to lead English squad
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 17 Oct 2018, 10:48 AM

St George Illawarra Prop James Graham has been named as captain of the England team to face France at Leigh Sports Village on Wednesday, 17 October. Coach Wayne Bennet announced his squad including eight debutants.

The game against France will be England's first on home territory since they reached the final of last year's World Cup, having since beaten New Zealand 36-18 in Denver.

England squad for the match against France:
James Shaul (Hull FC)
Tom Johnstone (Wakefield Trinity)
Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity)
Mark Percival (St Helens)
Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants)
Richie Myler (Leeds Rhinos)
Jake Connor (Hull FC)
James Graham (St. George Illawarra Dragons)
Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders)
Tom Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Oliver Holmes (Castleford Tigers)
Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders)
George Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Adam Milner (Castleford Tigers)
Luke Thompson (St Helens)
Robbie Mulhern (Hull KR)
Liam Sutcliffe (Leeds Rhinos)

France's 19-man squad: Bastien Ader, Lucas Albert, Jason Baitieri, William Barthau, Lambert Belmas, Ilias Bergal, Rhys Curran, Alrix Da Costa, Bastien Escamilla, Morgan Escare, Theo Fages, Tony Gigot, Mickael Goudemand, Benjamin Jullien, Paul Marcon, Thibault Margalet, Hakim Miloudi, Romain Navarrete, Justin Sangare.

Information sourced via www.rugby-league.com. Click here to view original article.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/10/17/graham-named-in-england-squad/

getsmarty

Immortal
graham.j-17110405rc.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Graham proud to lead his nation
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 17 Oct 2018, 12:00 PM

As he prepares to oversee a James Graham-captained England team against France, Wayne Bennett has confirmed he wants to continue coaching at international level beyond next year's southern hemisphere Lions tour and is seeking a new mid-season fixture to replace the Denver Test.

With Wigan premiership-winning captain Sean O'Loughlin among 10 players from last year's World Cup squad unavailable for the Test against France at Leigh on Wednesday, Graham will captain England for the first time since 2014.

The St George Illawarra prop is one of five NRL players in the England team for the Test. South Sydney brothers Tom and George Burgess and Canberra pair Josh Hodgson and Elliott Whitehead complete that list.

"Even though I have done it before it's still an indescribable feeling to explain what it means to lead out your country," Graham said.

"Obviously, I am very proud and there is a lot of reflection in terms of about the people who have done it before."

grahamj-171202702.jpg

England prop James Graham takes on Australia. :copyright:NRL Photos
The clash with France will be followed by the upcoming three-Test series against New Zealand, who beat Australia 26-24 in Auckland last weekend. A Lions tour is scheduled for the end of next season.

Just like his NRL situation with Brisbane, Bennett is contracted to coach England until the end of next season but he told reporters in Leigh on Tuesday that he was keen to remain in the role for the Kangaroos tour of Britain in 2020, and possibly the 2021 World Cup.

"I hope so," Bennett said. "I certainly will be next year. We'll just have to see how I'm going but, if I'm not getting the job done or [have] lost the players' confidence, then I won't stay longer than I should."

Bennett has already said he wants to continue coaching at club level beyond his 70th birthday (2020) but he won't be with the Broncos as they have begun interviewing replacements for the season after next.

In the meantime, Bennett is focused on finding an opponent for England to play on next June's stand-alone representative weekend after the Kiwis announced a Test against Tonga following the fallout from the Denver Test.

With Australian players involved in State of Origin, England may turn to Samoa or Fiji.

"I see Tonga and New Zealand have positioned themselves to play each other and I just need to talk to Kevin [Sinfield] and a few of the staff to find out what is really going on," Bennett said.

"We need that mid-year Test because it has helped us enormously and I don't want to lose it."

England played Samoa at Campbelltown Stadium in 2017 and travelled to Denver this year to play New Zealand as part of a three-deal with Moore Sports International but the Kiwis turned to Tonga after being left out of pocket from the venture.

England: 1. James Shaul (Hull FC), 2. Tom Johnstone (Wakefield Trinity), 3. Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity), 4. Mark Percival (St Helens), 5. Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants), 6. Richie Myler (Leeds Rhinos), 7. Jake Connor (Hull FC), 8. James Graham (St. George Illawarra Dragons), 9. Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders), 10. Tom Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs), 11. Oliver Holmes (Castleford Tigers), 12. Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders), 13. George Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs). Interchange: 14. Adam Milner (Castleford Tigers), 15. Luke Thompson (St Helens), 16. Robbie Mulhern (Hull KR), 17. Liam Sutcliffe (Leeds Rhinos).

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/10/17/graham-proud-to-lead-his-nation/

possm

Coach
mcgillvary_graham_myler.jpeg

TEAM LISTS

Graham to lead English squad
Author
Timestamp
Wed 17 Oct 2018, 10:48 AM

St George Illawarra Prop James Graham has been named as captain of the England team to face France at Leigh Sports Village on Wednesday, 17 October. Coach Wayne Bennet announced his squad including eight debutants.

The game against France will be England's first on home territory since they reached the final of last year's World Cup, having since beaten New Zealand 36-18 in Denver.

England squad for the match against France:
James Shaul (Hull FC)
Tom Johnstone (Wakefield Trinity)
Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity)
Jake Connor (Hull FC)
James Graham (St. George Illawarra Dragons)
Oliver Holmes (Castleford Tigers)
Adam Milner (Castleford Tigers)
Robbie Mulhern (Hull KR)
Liam Sutcliffe (Leeds Rhinos)

France's 19-man squad: Bastien Ader, Lucas Albert, Jason Baitieri, William Barthau, Lambert Belmas, Ilias Bergal, Rhys Curran, Alrix Da Costa, Bastien Escamilla, Morgan Escare, Theo Fages, Tony Gigot, Mickael Goudemand, Benjamin Jullien, Paul Marcon, Thibault Margalet, Hakim Miloudi, Romain Navarrete, Justin Sangare.

Information sourced via www.rugby-league.com. Click here to view original article.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/10/17/graham-named-in-england-squad/
Graham should be the SGI Captain! Widdop as vice captain.

Gareth67

First Grade
Graham should be the SGI Captain! Widdop as vice captain.

Agree with you on that possum , have a lot of respect for Gareth Widdop as a player , but he would be even better with the captaincy not weighing him down . We all know that James Graham is one of the most inspirational players in the game today and so being leads by example , if he is good enough for the England captaincy then the Dragons would only benefit by doing likewise .

I just could not imagine any player being slack whilst Graham was barking directives at them , hopefully the maestro will see the light over the off season and make the change . I would much rather go hunting with a double barrel shotgun than a slug gun any day !

Last edited:

utility dragon

Juniors
Agree with you on that possum , have a lot of respect for Gareth Widdop as a player , but he would be even better with the captaincy not weighing him down . We all know that James Graham is one of the most inspirational players in the game today and so being leads by example , if he is good enough for the England captaincy then the Dragons would only benefit by doing likewise .

I just could not imagine any player being slack whilst Graham was barking directives at them , hopefully the maestro will see the light over the off season and make the change . I would much rather go hunting with a double barrel shotgun than a slug gun .
Agree with you both

getsmarty

Immortal
graham-29-copy.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Graham named in England squad to face NZ
Author
Timestamp
Thu 25 Oct 2018, 10:39 AM

St George Illawarra Prop James Graham has been named as part of the first 19-man squad of the International Series to face New Zealand at the KCom Stadium, Hull on Saturday 27 October.

As part of the International Series England and New Zealand will also meet at Anfield in Liverpool on Sunday 4 November and Elland Road in Leeds on Sunday 11 November.

England 19-man squad:

John Bateman (Wigan Warriors)
Daryl Clark (Warrington Wolves)
Jake Connor (Hull FC)
Oliver Gildart (Wigan Warriors)
James Graham (St George Illawarra)
Chris Hill (Warrington Wolves)
Jonny Lomax (St Helens)
Tommy Makinson (St Helens)
Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan Warriors)
Sam Tomkins (Wigan Warriors)
George Williams (Wigan Warriors)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/10/25/graham-named-in-england-squad-to-face-nz/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
The biggest concern l have about JG is that he was playing busted towards seasons end, then goes on to play the series of internationals.

He must be stuffed and we sure as hell don't want him worn out for the start of next season.
Hope he tells Mary to stick it and goes on a nice long holiday for at least 4 weeks.
We want him with a spring in his step for the season opener.

Latest posts