What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

martielang

Bench
Was his tenure a failure though? Were people expecting to run through the comp that last few years & win multiple titles?

We've made the finals 3 years in a row, he's blooded a ton of younger blokes / local juniors, which i assume was a major KPI for him, & the majority of them have signed long term for the club. Regardless of his coaching ability or lack thereof, I don't think his tenure has been failure at all.

franklin2323

Immortal
But is it really?

Ciraldo is just a caretaker coach. Promoting our assistant coach until we appoint a proper successor is hardly the same mistake we made when hiring Hook.

This time around we haven't rushed into appointing a new coach. I agree we have roster holes that need fixing. We've lost a ridiculous amount of experienced talent since 2016 and as great as our development system is, that system doesnt give NRL experience or guarantee we develop longterm NRL quality players.

Yet we will be top 8 again and should we have a healthy squad in the finals we will be a threat.

why the rush to appoint a caretaker coach though? We could of left the position open til say 2 weeks after the GF. Then gone through applications and gone on as you would a normal job.

We will match what we did this year and the prior 2 years before. whether we have enough to go further I guess we wait to see

franklin2323

Immortal
Was his tenure a failure though? Were people expecting to run through the comp that last few years & win multiple titles?

We've made the finals 3 years in a row, he's blooded a ton of younger blokes / local juniors, which i assume was a major KPI for him, & the majority of them have signed long term for the club. Regardless of his coaching ability or lack thereof, I don't think his tenure has been failure at all.

I agree to a degree. He would of done what he was asked to do but he was fired with over 2 years left. Technically that is a fail

Abacus

Juniors
why the rush to appoint a caretaker coach though? We could of left the position open til say 2 weeks after the GF. Then gone through applications and gone on as you would a normal job.

We will match what we did this year and the prior 2 years before. whether we have enough to go further I guess we wait to see
Don't take everything at face value Franklin. In respect of the coaching roles the club is positioning itself so that it can't be accused later of inducing Ivan to break his contract.

Ivan doesn't want to be at the Tigers or he wouldn't be considering the Panthers role. And the re-recruitment of Ivan appears to be very much a board initiative.

In respect of recruitment, we've seen particularly over the past few years that October-January is where all the madness happens. This is where bargains can be found as clubs attempt to shift players due to tight caps. With Nathan now signed, I'm sure the club will be active.

Unfortunately it takes time for each move to fully play out. There needs to be a certain amount of patience - similarly while our inexperienced squad play enough NRL (including the preseasons) to become hardened.

Don't take everything at face value Franklin. In respect of the coaching roles the club is positioning itself so that it can't be accused later of inducing Ivan to break his contract.

Ivan doesn't want to be at the Tigers or he wouldn't be considering the Panthers role. And the re-recruitment of Ivan appears to be very much a board initiative.

In respect of recruitment, we've seen particularly over the past few years that October-January is where all the madness happens. This is where bargains can be found as clubs attempt to shift players due to tight caps. With Nathan now signed, I'm sure the club will be active.

Unfortunately it takes time for each move to fully play out. There needs to be a certain amount of patience - similarly while our inexperienced squad play enough NRL (including the preseasons) to become hardened.

It is interesting that the board seem to be pushing for Cleary instead of Gus.

Is there anything to be read into that? Are they trying to reign in Gus’ power?

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
"I've been enjoying myself the last 6 weeks"

Nathan Cleary.

They weren't getting the Nathan contract over the line without hook gone. He's made subtle but clear jabs at hook, thanked everyone in the club for the support and for the debut- except for hook.

Writings on the wall. Hook goes or Nathan. And getting Nathan before he hit the market was the best for our salary cap.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors

Nathan Cleary.

They weren't getting the Nathan contract over the line without hook gone. He's made subtle but clear jabs at hook, thanked everyone in the club for the support and for the debut- except for hook.

Writings on the wall. Hook goes or Nathan. And getting Nathan before he hit the market was the best for our salary cap.
I thought the same.
Doesn't make sense to get rid of a coach just before the finials. No matter how bad he is coaching.
There had to be something more to force Gus to show Griffen the door.
I think Nathan was happy to sign once Griffen was gone and a promise to give his dad a coaching job when he has finished at the Tigers.

mxlegend99

Referee

Nathan Cleary.

He has thanked Hook for his debut. But that's the only thing I have seen him thank Hook for.

Seems to have more appreciation for Ciro. But he was developed under Ciro. Hopefully his development can finally continue.

MrBlack

Juniors
Cleary (N) signature is a big chunk of our cap. It needed to be finalized before we go looking to spend the rest.

I would assume (hope) that we are now actively looking for a front rower, maybe some sort of swap deal with Merrin.

On another front - the Peachy situation will get really interesting from here.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Hail at The Ponds.
Penrith too......all those commodores with hail damage..oh gee.
Where the hell is The Ponds anyway Riffsters?haha
Has to,be out west....Oh yes,there IT IS.
In no mans land....

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Cleary (N) signature is a big chunk of our cap. It needed to be finalized before we go looking to spend the rest.

I would assume (hope) that we are now actively looking for a front rower, maybe some sort of swap deal with Merrin.

On another front - the Peachy situation will get really interesting from here.

You have Pillows Grant...haha

Latest posts