What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

ReddFelon

Juniors
The problem with Roos-Kiwis games is that there is no buildup before the game and no meaning afterwards.

I think the only this that can salvage the rivalry is a yearly 3-game series. Rep footy has HUGE potential, but it is a perminant after thought and fans can see that.

Agreed entirely, a League equivalent to the Bledisloe Cup is a necessity, there needs to be permanent Aus/NZ fixtures to maintain interest in the Rep level. As it is the sort of interest that could be generated in that rivalry is absorbed into Origin with the majority of Kiwis jumping on the QLD bandwagon.

carcharias

Immortal
Agreed entirely, a League equivalent to the Bledisloe Cup is a necessity, there needs to be permanent Aus/NZ fixtures to maintain interest in the Rep level. As it is the sort of interest that could be generated in that rivalry is absorbed into Origin with the majority of Kiwis jumping on the QLD bandwagon.
I agree
When to do it though.
ANZAC Day makes most sense to me.
Mid season is tricky though.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I agree
When to do it though.
ANZAC Day makes most sense to me.
Mid season is tricky though.

You could have it around ANZAC day, all though that does interfere with the scheduled ANZAC/Easter games around that time. I don't see why it couldn't be held like this one, two weeks after the Grand Final. Cross promote it with the Grand Final, advertise it as a best in the world. Doesn't hurt to have a few plugs during the GF coverage to remind people that this is the best in club sport. The big thing they need to do is push the rivalry, which is why I hope this upcoming Indigenous vs Maori game is promoted effectively. That's the other option too, have it the week after that game leading up to the regular season.

carcharias

Immortal
You could have it around ANZAC day, all though that does interfere with the scheduled ANZAC/Easter games around that time. I don't see why it couldn't be held like this one, two weeks after the Grand Final. Cross promote it with the Grand Final, advertise it as a best in the world. Doesn't hurt to have a few plugs during the GF coverage to remind people that this is the best in club sport. The big thing they need to do is push the rivalry, which is why I hope this upcoming Indigenous vs Maori game is promoted effectively. That's the other option too, have it the week after that game leading up to the regular season.

Not sure why the roosters dragons ANZAC Day thing even exists.
Especially when they link it to the wars and soldiers.

An Aus v NZ annual test match on that day makes perfect sense if they want to link it to ANZAC Day .

After the GF is too late IMO.
People are over the footy by then...a bit.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
To give people an idea of how bad it's going to be at the SCG, below is a pic of how the ground is setup for the A-League derby in two weeks.
It's shit for any rectangular sport.

Not quite - that's how it will be aligned for the A-League - pitch runs east-west.

For the NRL it'll be north-south as it always has been.

Timmah

Staff member
Did you put that together?

If so, nice work.

Really shows what damage the 'Super League War' did to our game.
On that graph there's an argument to be made that the 1995 expansion may have not been helpful. South Qld in particular were a flop and some of the new teams coming in probably didn't help Sydney crowds with too many games and teams etc.

Not doubting the ARL/SL split had an effect too but I just think the game botched the 1995 expansion as it was.

King hit

Coach

Shitful really,damn shame.

They would be able to attract a better crowd if people and the media didn’t spend the whole buildup slamming it. If all international games had pro backing from everyone we would see better crowds.

beave

Coach
On that graph there's an argument to be made that the 1995 expansion may have not been helpful. South Qld in particular were a flop and some of the new teams coming in probably didn't help Sydney crowds with too many games and teams etc.

Not doubting the ARL/SL split had an effect too but I just think the game botched the 1995 expansion as it was.

Which 2 teams would you have brought in instead of the 4 out of interest?

NQ probably had the weakest bid financially (the QRL didn’t want a bar of us and only backed the Crushers), Perth ticked a lot of boxes and so did Auckland.

Me personally looking at it realistically, NQ and Perth were probably the 2 that shouldn’t have made the cut if you were only going to bring 2 teams in for 1995. I was surprised at the time 4 made it in at once, but was stoked we got a team.
Without the SL war, bringing 4 in at once may have been alright as a stable comp would have allowed for better recruiting and a more even spread of playing talent and a lack of bullshit going on would have also obviously helped.

I reckon if only 2 teams come in for 1995 and the SL war still occurs, there wouldn’t have been an NQ team at all or not until the late 2k’s once shit stabilised.

Suitman

Post Whore
Not quite - that's how it will be aligned for the A-League - pitch runs east-west.

For the NRL it'll be north-south as it always has been.

I said...."To give people an idea".
Regardless of which direction it runs, it's a shit view.

abc

Juniors
25awwp9tcur11.jpg

Did you put that together?

If so, nice work.

Really shows what damage the 'Super League War' did to our game.

No I can't take credit for it, but agree with you it shows well the longer term impact (if any) of major shocks or events like that and others like stadiums or team changes.

We really should plot it against Australian population growth index to see if game is growing with "market" as whole, being the whole populace.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Which 2 teams would you have brought in instead of the 4 out of interest?

NQ probably had the weakest bid financially (the QRL didn’t want a bar of us and only backed the Crushers), Perth ticked a lot of boxes and so did Auckland.

Me personally looking at it realistically, NQ and Perth were probably the 2 that shouldn’t have made the cut if you were only going to bring 2 teams in for 1995. I was surprised at the time 4 made it in at once, but was stoked we got a team.
Without the SL war, bringing 4 in at once may have been alright as a stable comp would have allowed for better recruiting and a more even spread of playing talent and a lack of bullshit going on would have also obviously helped.

I reckon if only 2 teams come in for 1995 and the SL war still occurs, there wouldn’t have been an NQ team at all or not until the late 2k’s once shit stabilised.
I think you've completely misunderstood what I said. I wasn't saying the four teams brought in shouldn't have been, but that the process was probably mismanaged. I think the Crushers were the biggest failure and should never have been included, but honestly to bring in WR, NQ and NZ, there should've been a rationalisation process which got rid of a couple of struggling Sydney clubs at the time. 20 teams is too many for a competition in a country this size - IMO - particularly when more than half are in one city.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
They would be able to attract a better crowd if people and the media didn’t spend the whole buildup slamming it. If all international games had pro backing from everyone we would see better crowds.

That's been a problem with our game for a while.

I mean they go on about how we need to help the International game by improving another nations and playing more matches with the 'big 3', but how are people going to attend games where the media continually puts the International game down and the people in charge seem like they dont do enough to promote the game.

I mean it wouldve been around May and June, where end of year tests used to be planned, no-one had any idea of when or if Australia and New Zealand were supposed to play, and was all about the NZ vs Eng game in Denver. And also we heard nothing about the Kangaroos of how many games they were to play.

Thank god for Tonga and PNG last year, otherwise crowds in the last World Cup wouldve been embarrassing.