What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne - Make him an Eel for Life

Stagger eel

Staff member
The club assumed that some of their overpaid underperforming players would be snapped up by now, which is the predicament they've got themselves in. Given those circumstances, they obviously can't take the risk with adding to the squad at present as having only one recognised hooker in the squad at the moment, they've sort of snookered themselves until someone f**ks off.

I dare say if someone like Hoffman, French or Jennings had been moved on then both The Plane and Mahoney would already be filling spots 28 and 29 in the roster.

The night is still young my friemd....

Bandwagon

Staff member
I believe the club just presumed that someone would be knocking down our door to take one of our underperforming overpaid players like Norman, Moses, Jennings, French, or Takairangi of our hands.

Yeah Nah.

If the club wants him, they allow contingencies for it. it might be that they had an in principle deal going that allowed for moving on player/s, that subsequently fell through, but again I doubt it.

Still doesn't add up for mine.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Because surely no club in their right mind, or has used every cent of their salary cap, would fill position 30 in the roster in the middle of November when they don't have to until the end of June.

The issue that the only recognised hooker in the 28 squad is the most injury prone player in the club and struggles to string a month of football together in a row makes it more problematic. As a result, we're already committed to 29 players even though they're not in the squad, but it will definitely have to be a hooker.

Why would it be necessary to retain an open spot on the off chance we can sign some one better than Hayne? Is this really much of a chance?

The other open spot is Mahoney's or..................???? So if we were hanging off on Mahoney, it's because we are looking for a better option at hooker to fill that spot, perhaps that's where Hayne's coin is parked?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Smith is the back up every squad needs or wants, yes not the greatest but does a fair job. Having him means you can have other players in the squad to cover specific positions or some flexibility in the squad make up, rather then just having a back up half, back up fullback, back up hooker - so you can have one player covering 3 spots.

Chipmunk

Coach
Why would it be necessary to retain an open spot on the off chance we can sign some one better than Hayne? Is this really much of a chance?

The other open spot is Mahoney's or..................???? So if we were hanging off on Mahoney, it's because we are looking for a better option at hooker to fill that spot, perhaps that's where Hayne's coin is parked?

The issue still comes back to the fact that there is one hooker in the 28, and that is the reason The Plane won't be signed until someone else f**ks off.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Smith is the back up every squad needs or wants, yes not the greatest but does a fair job. Having him means you can have other players in the squad to cover specific positions or some flexibility in the squad make up, rather then just having a back up half, back up fullback, back up hooker - so you can have one player covering 3 spots.
This.
But as Poo says. You dont want your back ups playing first grade.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Imo, he's a back-up waterboy, at best...
giphy.gif

Latest posts