What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

English Rose

Juniors
Regarding GI should we just take the captaincy off him and just give it to Sam which would just let him concentrate on getting fit? Also the drink driving incident wasn’t a good look.

Just wondered what people’s thoughts would be about this?

Go Bunnies

Juniors
Regarding GI should we just take the captaincy off him and just give it to Sam which would just let him concentrate on getting fit? Also the drink driving incident wasn’t a good look.

Agree. Sutton had the leadership taken off him for the incident in the US and he wasn’t even charged. To me he looks like the natural leader on the field. Quite often he is doing the talking in the huddle.
Maybe joint captaincy of Sam and Sutton. Especially as this will probably be Suttons last year - just my thoughts.

callmack1

Staff member
Reported on other forums by people who have seen him that this whole GI weight issue is being blown way out of proportion. He is overweight but there's absolutely no way it's as bad as the media reports, certainly not fifteen kilos. GI knows what to do and he will hopefully get himself right.

In other news, this is huge!! Ben Barba has been sacked!

Ben Barba sacked by Cowboys, facing assault allegation: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/01/ben-barba-sacked-by-north-queensland-cowboys/

What an absolute idiot.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Reported on other forums by people who have seen him that this whole GI weight issue is being blown way out of proportion. He is overweight but there's absolutely no way it's as bad as the media reports, certainly not fifteen kilos. GI knows what to do and he will hopefully get himself right.

Ben Barba sacked by Cowboys, facing assault allegation: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/01/ben-barba-sacked-by-north-queensland-cowboys/

What an absolute idiot.
So GI won't be missing any games then?

Wolfman

Juniors

After seeing his interview and heard what he said, Burnsy has gained my respect. He speaks genuinely and from the heart...I like that.

However, he really needs to step up and match it with the elite if he's to be a permanent fixture in the NRL side. Granted he is still young but he's been at the club for two years now and from what I've seen is not cut out for first grade.

I hope Bennett plays him at Centre and not on the wing. Just like AJ is not a fullback but a Winger. I'm happy to give Burns the benefit of the doubt and back him 100% cause we are crying out for a top class centre, one we haven't had since Dylan Walker.

I congratulate Braidon on his new contract and sincerely wish him all the best. Now let's see what he's capable of.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

What an absolute idiot.

GI is by no means overweight. You can’t stay cut year after year especially with such a long NRL season. I don’t claim to be an expert but I’m pretty sure the pre season in regards to fitness is all about volume. Players try to increase their power, speed, endurance and strength as they can and then maintain it throughout the actual season. If players want to retain muscle throughout 26 rounds of NRL (without steroids) they kind of need to have a bit of extra weight to start the season and they would be trying to hit their optimal weight by around finals time so they’re flying.

People will probably argue that the extra weight will slow him down and that’s probably true but weight doesn’t have a direct correspondence with cardiovascular fitness as far as I’m aware.

Last edited:

Crowe

Juniors
Nah I'm not laying off the multi million dollar marquee signing who doesn't have the discipline to watch his own weight and whose non-appearance will effect the team.. Especially when you can bet he'll be injured during Origin.

FFS this isn't the 1980s

And what does this say to the rest of the team?

It also might explain his apparent disinterest in the finals....

And wtf were the coaching staff doing? Up here Seibold is putting the Broncos through what the players have claimed the most intense preseason yet.

All newspapers talk.
Has a player ever came out and said it was the easiest preseason they have ever had?
A premiership isn’t won in the first 5 rounds.
We looked tired in the last few rounds and the finals last year.
What would Bennett know though?
He only has 7 premierships to his name.

Mr Spock!

Referee
All newspapers talk.
Has a player ever came out and said it was the easiest preseason they have ever had?
A premiership isn’t won in the first 5 rounds.
We looked tired in the last few rounds and the finals last year.

It was Bennett who said he would miss the first 2 games because he was 15 kgs over his playing weight.

No wonder the team played like shit in the finals if this is the excuse for crappy leadership.

Mr Spock!

Referee

Where's Sam's head at?

Troubles on the homefront....and the online saga last year....

callmack1

Staff member
GI is by no means overweight. You can’t stay cut year after year especially with such a long NRL season. I don’t claim to be an expert but I’m pretty sure the pre season in regards to fitness is all about volume. Players try to increase their power, speed, endurance and strength as they can and then maintain it throughout the actual season. If players want to retain muscle throughout 26 rounds of NRL (without steroids) they kind of need to have a bit of extra weight to start the season and they would be trying to hit their optimal weight by around finals time so they’re flying.

People will probably argue that the extra weight will slow him down and that’s probably true but weight doesn’t have a direct correspondence with cardiovascular fitness as far as I’m aware.
Great post mate! Couldn't agree more!

It was Bennett who said he would miss the first 2 games because he was 15 kgs over his playing weight.

No wonder the team played like shit in the finals if this is the excuse for crappy leadership.
Yes but that claim is also what makes me think this report is suss. We all know what Bennett is like and in my opinion, he would never reveal something like that to the media and say it straight up like that.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Great post mate! Could've agree more!

Yes but that claim is also what makes me think this report is suss. We all know what Bennett is like and in my opinion, he would never reveal something like that to the media and say it straight up like that.
Yeah that's what people said when it was reported that Seibold was leaving.

callmack1

Staff member
Telecrap: Cowboys trying to poach AJ. Souths might retain Jennings
I want AJ to stay now to be honest but either way, there is still a bit of water to go under the bridge with our 2019 roster.

Why Rabbitohs youngster Burns wants to join the boys in blue: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...to-join-the-boys-in-blue-20181211-p50lkj.html

Greenberg - I can't see Barba ever returning: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/02/greenberg-i-cant-see-barba-ever-returning/

Enough is enough - Violent offenders need to be kicked out of the NRL forever: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/en...r/news-story/4e4694c4e4a7302fea5b425d8133965a