What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will Maguire do to the roster?

Tiger05

First Grade
Yep, wasted two spots on Marshall and Farah. Pascoe was dumb enough to agree.

I don't think they are wasted spots. They are both great back-up options and you need that. I also doubt they are on top dollars.

The only issue is if Macguire feels he has to use them in first grade but it's his job that is on the line.

Shredder

Juniors
Its a long season and we need to sign a squad. I have no issue with players with 100s of first grade experience training with us for small dollars.

Provided the top 17 is good and the depth is manageable, it makes sense to get lower paid players to fill out the cap.

Madge has been all over the press lately talking about a "different style of play." Lets see what the first few weeks show us.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I don't think they are wasted spots. They are both great back-up options and you need that. I also doubt they are on top dollars.

They are wasted spots because they are going to play first grade. Unfortunately we are not going to play these two in reserves. The marketing department would have a fit...

Tiger05

First Grade
They are wasted spots because they are going to play first grade. Unfortunately we are not going to play these two in reserves. The marketing department would have a fit...

I think that means they aren't wasted spots. First grade players on lower contracts are gold.Let's be honest they aren't far off the players above them in Reynolds and Liddle. They both might be first picked in first grade and deserve their spots.

super_coach

First Grade

I tend to agree, also both have milestones coming up, the club will be under pressure to have them reach these milestones.

The problem I see, you can only carry either Liddell or Benji on the bench, not both and I don’t want to see Liddell talents wasted in reserves. I guess injuries will probably sort the problem out, but round one selections will be very interesting

Front-Rower

First Grade
I think that means they aren't wasted spots. First grade players on lower contracts are gold.Let's be honest they aren't far off the players above them in Reynolds and Liddle. They both might be first picked in first grade and deserve their spots.

No, you just buy the hype that Marshall and Farah will win us games, let alone a competition. These two should have been marched out the door with Sheens at the end of 2012 in hindsight and definitely not bought back to the club in a playing capacity.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I tend to agree, also both have milestones coming up, the club will be under pressure to have them reach these milestones.

I don’t know if you have seen the series or not though on Facebook we have been playing videos of our players stating their goals for 2019. Some are stating they want to play consistent, stay in firsts, make the 8 etc but Marshall’s goal is to win the comp. I think that says a lot about where he will play, his position in the side and the hype train we have created over the last 13 years..

Vic Mackey

Referee
Apparently Robert Jennings is training at left center, so he and Momirovski fighting out that spot and Thompson/Nofa on the wings

Tiger05

First Grade
No, you just buy the hype that Marshall and Farah will win us games, let alone a competition. These two should have been marched out the door with Sheens at the end of 2012 in hindsight and definitely not bought back to the club in a playing capacity.

Not at all. I wouldn't have either of them in my top 17.

Tiger05

First Grade
Apparently Robert Jennings is training at left center, so he and Momirovski fighting out that spot and Thompson/Nofa on the wings

This makes sense to me. I assume Jennings can take on the left centre spot and now we have 3 options there in Mono, Jennings and Fonua.

I just reckon that Thompson and Nofo deserve their spots.

It's interesting though because Thompson doesn't have great kick returns whereas Jennings probably does.

Tiger05

First Grade
If your not going to have Robbie in the 17, who is going to play the other 60 minutes at hooker?

I'd like to see Liddle make the spot his this year. The issue is how long he can play there. I reckon it must be more than 20 minutes but I'm not sure if he can play the full 80. I don't think Robbie can play the full 80 though or a lot of hookers. It's a tough position.

Shredder

Juniors
I agree 100% 05. Its a tough position and physical and intense and you touch the ball every tackle. Additionally your also expected to defend like a monster.

Having said that and given that this will most likely be Robbies last year regardless, why are we so short on 9s?

The Eels have just given Pritchard some "space" and I read earlier that they were trying to sign Isaac Luke. When I suggested Lichaa just before last season ended that wasn't popular. Im just not sure what we do. There are only 4 maybe 5 top hookers in the game. Im still not convinced on Liddle being anything other than an impact player, so there is a hole there.

Tiger05

First Grade
We clearly need to purchase another 9. Hopefully this year we will be okay but I'd hate to see Farah hold Liddle back. I already think Liddle is the better player out of the two of them.

I think Soni Luke is a hooker and he may go okay.

It does seem now that this is our weakest position and it's not that bad. Our squad is a lot better this year. Last year our RHS backrow position, fullback, hooker and left centre were all really poor. Now we are really worrying about depth at hooker.

Shredder

Juniors
05 Im actually very happy with how our squad is developing.

But is we have an injury to Liddle or Farah, who is at 9? Taylor again? Im actually pretty sure Taylor wont be in the side at all by the end of the year.

Maybe one of the development players can play 9?

Tiger05

First Grade
05 Im actually very happy with how our squad is developing.

But is we have an injury to Liddle or Farah, who is at 9? Taylor again? Im actually pretty sure Taylor wont be in the side at all by the end of the year.

Maybe one of the development players can play 9?

I like our squad as well. It's much better than last year. Taylor must be under pressure. We have plenty of middle forwards and they are all bigger than Taylor. I really like him as a player and there have been times I can't believe his effort defensively. He can also ballplay and run a line. The problem is that he is a small middle forward and he isn't explosive. It'll be hard to keep picking him in the team especially if we get rolled up the middle.

I think Taylor is the only option at 9 and he isn't the best at it. I suppose you could go with Taylor for 20 minutes and then put Liddle there. Maybe Mbye could play there but that seems like moving deck chairs on the titanic.

I suppose we could handle one of Liddle or Farah being injured. If both were injured we are in trouble. I don't think any of the development players could fill the role.

Shredder

Juniors
I honestly this ET has been great for us.
He filled a hole and has always played with passion.
But your right, hes too small.

gallagher

Juniors

The only issue is if Macguire feels he has to use them in first grade but it's his job that is on the line.
I would have prefered signing someone like Seggy. The sharks have only just re-signed him on minimum contract. I don't see the point in signing blokes who are well and truly on the way out as backups. You sign someone like Seggy or a young fella.

simmo05

Bench
Seggy will still be available, sharks signed him so that the nrls last on first off policy means he will go instead of johnson.

Latest posts