What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will Maguire do to the roster?

Tiger05

First Grade
That ISP team looks pretty solid. I'd like to see that front row in first grade as well.

8. Josh Aloiai
9. Jacob Liddle
10. Thomas Mikaele

There is some impact there. I hope these guys come on. I don't want another full season of Robbie at 9. A couple of decent players aren't going to be in the first picked team to start the year.

The Rosco

Bench
That ISP team looks pretty solid. I'd like to see that front row in first grade as well.

8. Josh Aloiai
9. Jacob Liddle
10. Thomas Mikaele

There is some impact there. I hope these guys come on. I don't want another full season of Robbie at 9. A couple of decent players aren't going to be in the first picked team to start the year.
If I can talk myself out of going fishing on Sunday, I might go and watch that doggies game.
Would love to see how Oliver Clark and Mikaele go.
Jeez, they are a couple of big boys.
When you hear the name Oliver, you think of a librarian. This guy looks like he could one arm bench press a librarian.
On the WT site pics, both these 2 look bigger than Packer and Matulino.

Tiger Ted

Bench
If I can talk myself out of going fishing on Sunday, I might go and watch that doggies game.
Would love to see how Oliver Clark and Mikaele go.
Jeez, they are a couple of big boys.
When you hear the name Oliver, you think of a librarian. This guy looks like he could one arm bench press a librarian.
On the WT site pics, both these 2 look bigger than Packer and Matulino.
If u can attend I look forward to ur observations especially re the engine room & 3/4’s.

Vic Mackey

Referee

8. Josh Aloiai
9. Jacob Liddle
10. Thomas Mikaele

Forward and 6/7/9 depth is strong

Backs worry me though.

1. Dylan Smith
2. Kane Bradley
3. Mahe Fonua
4. Sam McIntyre
5. Tommy Talau

Bradley and Talau aren’t natural outside backs. We have either Jennings/Momirovski/Thompson to drop back but a couple of injuries there and we’re really going to struggle

Tiger05

First Grade
I think Kane Bradley was the one that was mentioned as hitting the ball up hard recently. Hopefully he does the job there. Talau on the wing doesn't make any sense but who knows.

Fonua is too good for reserve grade. We don't though seem to have many outside backs. I thought Talau was a half.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think Kane Bradley was the one that was mentioned as hitting the ball up hard recently. Hopefully he does the job there. Talau on the wing doesn't make any sense but who knows.

Fonua is too good for reserve grade. We don't though seem to have many outside backs. I thought Talau was a half.

Yeah Bradley’s the one they compared to Cory Oates (195cm 101kgs), played NSW U18s in the second row last year. Interesting to see how he goes, seems to be the prototype for the modern day winger.

Talau played 5/8 and lock in SG Ball. Maybe playing wing out of necessity or just for the run.

Our squad has too many back rowers, would have been ideal to lose Rochow or McQueen and get another back. We can’t afford to get to stage in the season where we have to use MCK/Garner etc in the centers.

Tigerm

First Grade
Yeah Bradley’s the one they compared to Cory Oates (195cm 101kgs), played NSW U18s in the second row last year. Interesting to see how he goes, seems to be the prototype for the modern day winger.

Talau played 5/8 and lock in SG Ball. Maybe playing wing out of necessity or just for the run.

Our squad has too many back rowers, would have been ideal to lose Rochow or McQueen and get another back. We can’t afford to get to stage in the season where we have to use MCK/Garner etc in the centers.
Is MCK good to go now?

Front-Rower

First Grade
What Packer and Matulino lacked in attack, they sure made up for in defence. They aren’t the problem.

Tiger05

First Grade
What Packer and Matulino lacked in attack, they sure made up for in defence. They aren’t the problem.

I don't think they were great but they weren't bad were they. I think our middle forwards have some depth now as well.

Packer, Matulino, Eisenhuth, Twal, Musgrove, Aloiai, Mikaele and Taylor should be able to get us going forward and defend. I think Aloiai and Mikaele have more upside than most of the other players and hopefully they come on.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/86abb7901670126ee0d200e6c62e0613

New style set to spark Wests Tigers, as Michael Maguire eyes early premiership
New Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire knows how to build success fast at rugby league clubs.
In his first life as a head coach in 2010, Maguire was victorious in 11 of his first 12 games with Wigan as they won the English Super League title in his rookie year.

Then he became South Sydney’s NRL saviour in 2012.

He returned the Rabbitohs to the preliminary finals for the first time in 23 years in his rookie year in the NRL, before he captured the drought-breaking title two seasons later.

“I just think it takes everyone to have a team working at its highest level,” Maguire said of his coaching philosophy.

“If everyone is doing that you get the rewards. It’s like everything in life, what you put in you get back.

“It’s something that’s helped to get to the level I have been.

“I’ve got my own style that I’ve talked to the players about, and I’ve also got to use and complement the players and skills we’ve got.

“I need to do that (and get those results) again with my new club. I’m extremely hungry to achieve and want what’s best for the players.”

While rebuilding the Rabbitohs presented its own challenges, so too does the Tigers.

They have the longest finals drought in the NRL, having not featured since 2011.

They appeared on the right track when they finished ninth under Ivan Cleary last year, before the summer struck.

Cleary has since left mid-contract for Penrith, while the NRL’s salary cap findings have provisionally cost them chief executive Justin Pascoe and space in the cap.

However, Maguire is adamant his players remain on task, notably hungry to turn things around.

There have been distinct positives too.

Moses Mbye’s ascension to captaincy stands out while Luke Brooks’ new five-year deal leaves last year’s Dally M halfback of the year ready to make the team his own.

“It’s definitely his team, I’m not going to shy away from that,” Maguire said of the 24-year-old.

“There is so much upside in Luke Brooks. He’s growing as a halfback now and has experience.

“He’s in the period of his career now where he has a lot of experience, and it’s about doing that week in week out and utilising the team to be able to build the success we want.”

Adding to the Tigers’ attack will be part of that task regardless of whether Benji Marshall or Josh Reynolds start at five-eighth.

The Tigers had their second-best defensive year in 2018 but their worst season in attack.

Yet Maguire said there’d be changes in both departments.

“We’re looking at changing things up with our attack and the way we’re going to defend is going to be different to in the past,” he said.

“Throughout the last couple of months I’ve really enjoyed being able to work with the spine and come up with how we want to play.

“Obviously it’s known they need improvements in (attack) but I think the game starts with defence, I’ve always been that way. We’ve worked extremely hard in that area.”

simmo05

Bench
I don't think they were great but they weren't bad were they. I think our middle forwards have some depth now as well.

Packer, Matulino, Eisenhuth, Twal, Musgrove, Aloiai, Mikaele and Taylor should be able to get us going forward and defend. I think Aloiai and Mikaele have more upside than most of the other players and hopefully they come on.
I think it was no coincidence that when packer went down, our season went to crap. A work mate played with him at st george, and has huge raps on him. Says he has a real intimidating presence on the field that lifts the rest of the pack. Id say he and mutts were just playing to clearys game plan. It will be interesting to see how madge uses them...

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Super league is our only hope if they don’t come good.
I think we have a pretty good balance now. Madge said on Day 1 he was looking for a Forward and a back and he's signed them in Jennings and Musgrove.

I don't think letting go of Rochow will really change much. He wouldn't be on big money.

I think 4 of the signings Ivan made towards the end of his tenure will really come back to bite us. You'd have to think if he knew that he was staying at WT he might not have rushed to sign these guys up

Farah
Marshall
Oliver Clark
Momirovski

Farah and Marshall could not guide the club to finals last year and this should have dictated whether or not they were offered new deals.

Oliver Clark has done absolutely nothing in ISP games and started off the bench last weekend in the reggies trial.

Momirovski was another that fans are licking their lips to see but on Wyong form last year he may not amount to much.

If Ivan was genuine in his commitment to WT he might have looked to have signed players like Segeyaro and Blake Austin who are younger and more likely to contribute positively than old veterans who have formed part of a losing culture for the best part of a decade.

philgood

Juniors
I think we have a pretty good balance now. Madge said on Day 1 he was looking for a Forward and a back and he's signed them in Jennings and Musgrove.

I don't think letting go of Rochow will really change much. He wouldn't be on big money.

I think 4 of the signings Ivan made towards the end of his tenure will really come back to bite us. You'd have to think if he knew that he was staying at WT he might not have rushed to sign these guys up

Farah
Marshall
Oliver Clark
Momirovski

Farah and Marshall could not guide the club to finals last year and this should have dictated whether or not they were offered new deals.

Oliver Clark has done absolutely nothing in ISP games and started off the bench last weekend in the reggies trial.

Momirovski was another that fans are licking their lips to see but on Wyong form last year he may not amount to much.

If Ivan was genuine in his commitment to WT he might have looked to have signed players like Segeyaro and Blake Austin who are younger and more likely to contribute positively than old veterans who have formed part of a losing culture for the best part of a decade.

Without Farah we would have come 16th last year. The team looked alot more organised when he came on board after that mid season slump.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Farah
Marshall
Oliver Clark
Momirovski

Let’s also not forget or underestimate how unbefitting & costly a no. of the recruits have been that the pissant made at the beginning of his tenure as coach.I will b surprised if at least 1 of the kiwi props isn’t moved on to the knackery by Madge at the end of this season.

It’s going to b very interesting to c whether the pissants most expensive recruit Reynolds can deliver consistent performances that justify a fraction of his extraordinary salary.I for one am not anticipating anything special from the average bulldog who is devoid of speed & game management skills.

gallagher

Juniors

Farah
Marshall
Oliver Clark
Momirovski

Yep, wasted two spots on Marshall and Farah. Pascoe was dumb enough to agree.