What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Questionable reports of sellouts when it's clear the ground is not full is not a good look. Viewing some highlights of the Knights v Sharks in Maitland was not a good look. Their were reports leading into this game that it was a sellout. Perhaps in the grandstand but not on the hill areas with large areas of grass to be seen on the hill opposite the grandstand side. Not a good look and misleading reports are not wise.
This was the home ground of the Maitland pickers FFS and yes the ground capacity is about 8,000. The ground announced well over 6,000 attended.

So what it wasn’t 8,000?

Why are you so upset?

AJB1102

First Grade
Questionable reports of sellouts when it's clear the ground is not full is not a good look. Viewing some highlights of the Knights v Sharks in Maitland was not a good look. Their were reports leading into this game that it was a sellout. Perhaps in the grandstand but not on the hill areas with large areas of grass to be seen on the hill opposite the grandstand side. Not a good look and misleading reports are not wise.

"Capacity" doesn't mean "it took some pushing but we cramed the last merkin in until every patch of space was taken up". It's not a Chinese subway.

Capacity varies on things like facilities and security. I'm sure someone here knows way more about it but I think you're only allowed 'X' amount of patrons to 'Y' amount of staff, security etc.

So while it might be possible to fit 18k people, if you're only approved to have 9k and 9k turn up, that's a sell out.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Absolutely! Perhaps an additional clubs called the Moreton Bay Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins would be well worth an inclusion. However it's the Broncos that are stopping such a common sense move.
Ok I had to comment. If a second Brisbane team needs to be included it needs to be over the pine river in Moreton bay dolphins based at Redcliffe not Suncorp for f**ks sake, it’s like saying let’s play the panthers out of the SFS, just no.

It has a population of 430,000 already and is one of the fastest growing regions in the country with its population expected to double by 2032.

Sunshine Coast is a decent option, but I’m not sure it could handle every second week.

azza29

Juniors
Ok I had to comment. If a second Brisbane team needs to be included it needs to be over the pine river in Moreton bay dolphins based at Redcliffe not Suncorp for f**ks sake, it’s like saying let’s play the panthers out of the SFS, just no.
Agree, perhaps 9 games in Redcliffe and derbys against the Titans/Broncos could be played at Suncorp, as well as the odd final. Having a "local" home ground would be an expansion team's best shot at long-term success. Dolphins stadium is a bit of a hike for the nearest train station but shuttle buses on game day will fix that. The venue doesn't look terrible as is but would no doubt be destined for some upgrades if an NRL club had regular fixtures there.

Pommy

Coach
Agree, perhaps 9 games in Redcliffe and derbys against the Titans/Broncos could be played at Suncorp, as well as the odd final. Having a "local" home ground would be an expansion team's best shot at long-term success. Dolphins stadium is a bit of a hike for the nearest train station but shuttle buses on game day will fix that. The venue doesn't look terrible as is but would no doubt be destined for some upgrades if an NRL club had regular fixtures there.

Not sure playing every derby away at the oppositions home would go down well.

azza29

Juniors
Not sure playing every derby away at the oppositions home would go down well.
Comes down to money I guess, Geelong play a few "home" games each year at Marvel and occasionally the MCG so they can maximise ticket sales and profit.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The figures I was able to locate (sorry for any repeats):

Knights v Sharks Crowd: 6224
Manly v Roosters Crowd: 6370
Panthers v Eels Crowd: 6339
Charity Shield Crowd: 9027
Titans v Broncos Crowd: 5285

Warriors v Tigers ?? - Tigers social guy says unlikely one was published
Cowboys v Storm ??

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
I’d still stick a second team in Brisbane first though - joke that there’s only one team in a city the size of Brisbane but have 876 clubs in sydney. Can’t think of another competition in the world that has that many teams at the ELITE level in one city
EPL?

JamesRustle

First Grade
I was watching the game and thought there is no way it could be 17k as there were plenty of gaps.
There are some Manly games with more people and it gets reported around 13k. I was thinking the Waratahs exaggerated numbers or Manly report lower numbers for some reason

I watched the highlights and thought there is no way it could be 17k as there were plenty of gaps.

There are some Manly games with more people and it gets reported around 13k. I think the Waratahs exaggerated numbers or Manly report lower numbers for some reason.

Did you both have the same thought an hour apart?

Burns

First Grade
I can’t deal with this content.

T-Boon

Coach
"Capacity" doesn't mean "it took some pushing but we cramed the last merkin in until every patch of space was taken up". It's not a Chinese subway.

Capacity varies on things like facilities and security. I'm sure someone here knows way more about it but I think you're only allowed 'X' amount of patrons to 'Y' amount of staff, security etc.

So while it might be possible to fit 18k people, if you're only approved to have 9k and 9k turn up, that's a sell out.

Yep Maitland park has very limited parking and also toilets I would guess.

Latest posts