What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's nq cowboys not Townsville

Cairns .. Townsville.. Mackay .. Mt Isa .. Bowen etc ..

Are bigger than sunny c
Precisely, although you could mount a similar argument that fans would travel from nearby regions for Sunshine Coast too.

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
Timmah,

I think the support is here on the Sunny Coast but not the corporate $$.

Agreed people would travel, with nothing except for a netball franchise up here its ripe for the picking. The region is now home to approx 340k and growing. Its mainly retirees and younger families escaping the big cities, so far less transient than the Gold Coast. If the corporate support materialised, it would be a winner.

Last weekends trial got 10,680 in terrible weather (aftermath / tail of Oma) where most people sat on a grassed hill.

The potential is enormous.

beave

Coach
Timmah,

Agreed people would travel, with nothing except for a netball franchise up here its ripe for the picking. The region is now home to approx 340k and growing. Its mainly retirees and younger families escaping the big cities, so far less transient than the Gold Coast. If the corporate support materialised, it would be a winner.

Last weekends trial got 10,680 in terrible weather (aftermath / tail of Oma) where most people sat on a grassed hill.

it was windy but it was far from terrible mate.

F8262665-3-EB5-4-C3-E-9605-9-B5-B3-BCE9-B85.jpg

T-Boon

Coach
Timmah,

What sort of crowd does the Sunshine Coast Qld cup team pull?

yobbo84

First Grade
Just saw the ticket prices for Rd1 Roosters v Souths @ SCG. They're having a laugh. No way am I paying $65 for a Cat 1 seat on the 10m line in a circular stadium.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Annoying showers around SEQ. Titans trial V broncos was heading for a decent crowd. Doubt it will pull too many now.

Saxon

Bench
Precisely, although you could mount a similar argument that fans would travel from nearby regions for Sunshine Coast too.
Hardly the same thing. Not even the same ballpark.

Cairns is 350 km away from Townsville and Mackay is 400. Bowen and Charters Towers are the closest areas of 'civilisation' and they's both be 200 km away. There is is no public transport to speak of and long drives on shit roads to get there (which for games that finish at 9:30 at night usually mean having to stump up for accommodation too). And yet you get people driving in from all over for games - when I was in Mackay we would drive up 4 or 5 times a year just to go to the footy.

On the other hand, Maroochydore (say) is an hour from the third biggest population centre in Australia with excellent public transport and a schmick new freeway.

Sharkman05

Juniors

Cairns is 350 km away from Townsville and Mackay is 400. Bowen and Charters Towers are the closest areas of 'civilisation' and they's both be 200 km away. There is is no public transport to speak of and long drives on shit roads to get there (which for games that finish at 9:30 at night usually mean having to stump up for accommodation too). And yet you get people driving in from all over for games - when I was in Mackay we would drive up 4 or 5 times a year just to go to the footy.

On the other hand, Maroochydore (say) is an hour from the third biggest population centre in Australia with excellent public transport and a schmick new freeway.
Public transport between Brisbane and Sunshine Coast is a farce and not usable ( train station is inland ) and the highway is constantly a traffic jam.

I actually hope we get the 2032 olympics and some decent infrastructure may be built between the two cities.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

I think you misinterpreted my post because you've described exactly what I was getting at :joy:

Stallion

First Grade
Questionable reports of sellouts when it's clear the ground is not full is not a good look. Viewing some highlights of the Knights v Sharks in Maitland was not a good look. Their were reports leading into this game that it was a sellout. Perhaps in the grandstand but not on the hill areas with large areas of grass to be seen on the hill opposite the grandstand side. Not a good look and misleading reports are not wise.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Questionable reports of sellouts when it's clear the ground is not full is not a good look. Viewing some highlights of the Knights v Sharks in Maitland was not a good look. Their were reports leading into this game that it was a sellout. Perhaps in the grandstand but not on the hill areas with large areas of grass to be seen on the hill opposite the grandstand side. Not a good look and misleading reports are not wise.

I think they only let a certain amount of fans in as a capacity even though there is a lot of room over on that hill that is a fair way away from the ground. I am not sure exactly why maybe due to toilets or something. It was the same deal last season with Parra it was apparently sold out but plenty of room over on that hill.
They should really try to turn it into a rectangular ground, at least out up a temporary grand stand for the football season.