What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WRL - RU try again

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What is stopping us from naming our sport Rugby 13's like they do in France? Sure, it might not get adopted in Aus, Eng & NZ but at least all of the new countries adopting the game will refer to it as this and it will releive some confusion whilst allowing us to retain the word rugby which is part of our history.

Whatwhere

Juniors
That's the story they're going with now, yes.

It was always the case. There never was a World Rugby League. There was a concept in development with the working title of World League but that's all it ever was. Mountains out of molehills while exposing huge persecution complexes.

Stavros

Bench
I
It was always the case. There never was a World Rugby League. There was a concept in development with the working title of World League but that's all it ever was. Mountains out of molehills while exposing huge persecution complexes.
It's not worth it mate. These blokes hate hearing the truth or facts. Every other sports can put up with it but unfortunately these blokes turn to school girls once put to them

Stallion

First Grade
Actually, there was another in the middle. Northern Union > Rugby (Rugby Football League) > Rugby League (RLF)

I dont even think we need to drop Rugby (if our marketing guys find it is too valuable to lose)....

I think the best solution (easy to impelent, keeps the traditionalists happy) would be some kind of prefix: XXXX Rugby

13s Rugby, Pro Rugby, Allgold Rugby, League Rugby,
doesnt really matter. Follow the format of every football code on earth to differentiate themselves by putting the identifier BEFORE the common brand.

Elite Rugby!?

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm not a fan. It just cheapens their World Cup.

I don't really understand this view.

I think the home/away and round robin comp format gives it 2 quite strong point of differences to the knockout short-form World Cup.
It sees big games played across 12 nations every year, most of whom will not host a World Cup for decades.

I'd love to see something similar in Rugby League.

This has been my preferred format for the proposed RLIF "inter-continent" cup for some time.
If you play a typical single-host location, 2 pools of 4 tournament with a final, THAT cheapens the World Cup because it's a World Cup-lite. A criticism offered up about the 4Nations fairly regularly, I might add.

Imagine:

in 2023, we take the 8 nations that have pre-qualified for the 2025 World Cup by making the previous Quarter finals.
Each nation plays 7 games throughout the year, the top 4 playing 4 home games and the rest playing 3 home games.
The top 2 play a Grand Final.

Obviously the current club environment doesn't allow it, but small changes to the NRL calendar and attitudes once every 4 years could. Most of this is a bit pie-in-the-sky but sometimes you need outside the box thinking to make positive change

FEB - Australia game 1 (if we can play 9s or All Stars, why not a single test?)
APRIL - Rep weekend 1. Australia game 2, others game 1 (There used to be an April test - bring it back once every 4 years)
JUNE - Rep weekend, all other nations game 2 (already exists, Aus occupied with SOO)
OCT-NOV - 5 remaining rounds
DEC - first weekend, Final

Te Kaha

First Grade
As expected, and as usual the hysterics in here were for nothing.

IF and it is a BIG IF it goes ahead it will be called the "Nations Championship". No mention of "Rugby League" or even "League".

Jankuloski

Juniors
In today’s world a lot of content (games, highligts, news) comes through search. Either Google, YT or similar.

We suuuck at this.

“Rugby League” comes up with union Leagues.
“Super League” is worse - there are cricket, football and racing Super Leagues competing. And such a dumb name really.

NRL usually goes ok.

Latest posts