What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WRL - RU try again

Whatwhere

Juniors
Australia and New Zealand unions should know better than to stoop to this.

Except that they aren't stooping to anything. The 'World League' is the working title for a concept. It's not the World Rugby League. No news piece I've seen has even suggested so,. The OP has jumped to an unfounded conclusion based off who knows what. An article (likely the article he's made this jump from) has been linked and nowhere in that piece does the term 'World Rugby League'. World Rugby does in reference to the governing body of the sport and World League does referring to the concept but World Rugby League is nowhere to be found.

This really isn't that hard to get your head around. It's quite deflating to see people so keen to believe completely unsubstantiated dribble without any attempt to question or verify it's validity.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
If Rugby (union) were to take the name Rugby because of the town. Then rugby league should just simply take Huddersfield. Here is a link to the article https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2019/01/all-blacks-new-world-rugby-league-to-be-proposed.html to be honest if that goes through we should just change the name. We shouldn't be in rugby union's shadow. We have a great sport that should be played around the World and if changing our sports name means that, then so be it. Huddersball anyone?

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Except that they aren't stooping to anything. The 'World League' is the working title for a concept. It's not the World Rugby League. No news piece I've seen has even suggested so,. The OP has jumped to an unfounded conclusion based off who knows what. An article (likely the article he's made this jump from) has been linked and nowhere in that piece does the term 'World Rugby League'. World Rugby does in reference to the governing body of the sport and World League does referring to the concept but World Rugby League is nowhere to be found.

This really isn't that hard to get your head around. It's quite deflating to see people so keen to believe completely unsubstantiated dribble without any attempt to question or verify it's validity.

With due respects rubbish.Perhaps research needed.
Worldrugby Pass dated 25th January 2019 under the title "Plans for World League Solidify"

"A meeting in Los Angeles next week will solidify plans for a proposed WORLD RUBGY LEAGUE which would pit the winners of the Rugby Championships against the winner of the Six Nations to decide a world championship each year."

Te Kaha

First Grade
Worldrugby Pass dated 25th January 2019 under the title "Plans for World League Solidify"

"A meeting in Los Angeles next week will solidify plans for a proposed WORLD RUBGY LEAGUE which would pit the winners of the Rugby Championships against the winner of the Six Nations to decide a world championship each year."

I think the key is trying to show is it is "A" "World Rugby League" not "The" "World Rugby League".It being a "League" type competition rather than it being called "World Rugby League".

taipan

Referee
I think the key is trying to show is it is "A" "World Rugby League" not "The" "World Rugby League".It being a "League" type competition rather than it being called "World Rugby League".

With due respect, that is being a tad pedantic.People read what they see, and form an opinion. That's simply human nature.If rl fans such as ourselves find it confusing,the average punter or casual fan would find it more so.
League anyway, means a group of clubs playing in a comp. Which I accept.And the reason RL has left itself open to confusion with their name.
I'll reserve my judgement finally ,when it's up and running, and check the offical title.

IMO RU have always used the RUGBY title overwhelmingly in their name, not rugby union, not League of rugby etc.
On that basis having a world championship, following on it should be named WORLD RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP.Thus no confusion, no rl fans getting their backs up.

Te Kaha

First Grade
With due respect, that is being a tad pedantic.People read what they see, and form an opinion. That's simply human nature.If rl fans such as ourselves find it confusing,the average punter or casual fan would find it more so.
League anyway, means a group of clubs playing in a comp. Which I accept.And the reason RL has left itself open to confusion with their name.
I'll reserve my judgement finally ,when it's up and running, and check the offical title.

IMO RU have always used the RUGBY title overwhelmingly in their name, not rugby union, not League of rugby etc.
On that basis having a world championship, following on it should be named WORLD RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP.Thus no confusion, no rl fans getting their backs up.

They haven't decided a name, structure or even if it will go ahead, so your point in entirely moot.

There is already a "Rugby Championship" played every year so that name will probably not be used, if it the comp does go ahead.

And yes "RU have always used the RUGBY title overwhelmingly in their name, not rugby union, not League of rugby etc." that is true. And it is deliberate. Most of the rugby playing nations have dropped the "union" from their name and are indeed trying to monopolise the use of the name "Rugby". World Rugby couldn't care any less if it causes confusion for RL fans, and why should they? They are only looking after their own game.

Its a bit early to be getting up in arms about a PROPOSED comp that has an even chance of not going ahead anyway.

taipan

Referee
They haven't decided a name, structure or even if it will go ahead, so your point in entirely moot.

There is already a "Rugby Championship" played every year so that name will probably not be used, if it the comp does go ahead.

And yes "RU have always used the RUGBY title overwhelmingly in their name, not rugby union, not League of rugby etc." that is true. And it is deliberate. Most of the rugby playing nations have dropped the "union" from their name and are indeed trying to monopolise the use of the name "Rugby". World Rugby couldn't care any less if it causes confusion for RL fans, and why should they? They are only looking after their own game.

Its a bit early to be getting up in arms about a PROPOSED comp that has an even chance of not going ahead anyway.

I spelt it out that the name hasn't been decided ,when I stated I'll reserve my judgement when it's up and running.In effect no confirmation that it will be.The title and contents of my source allude to the fact.
Just like I'll reserve my judgement on a strong possibilty of a new Oz govt.

Which again you ignored my comment ,about rl initially causing the confusion by their name in the first place,
I'm fully aware ru couldn't; give a rats what rl fans thought.Each code is concerned about their own code, its growth, sustainability and place in the market.

I responded in this thread ,only due to a comment that World Rugby league hasn't been mentioned in any media, which it plainly had.

"Up in arms",hardly I played ru fin my teenage years,I'm used to the confusion with the names, yet somehow despite tripping over itself, rl still makes footprints in the most unlikely places.And I am more than happy, if they changed their name in the future.

Whatwhere

Juniors

Your comprehension skills need work. As Te Kaha points out the author is referring to the proposed World League which they refer to as World Rugby League. That is not the name of the concept as it hasn't been ratified and isn't even agreed upon as yet. It's not that hard to get your head around. The stunning persecution complex on display by a number of posters here is amazing.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
To me, it's just cute that people react like this. After more than 100 years, we are still innocent enough to think that RU will act honourably?

The question is simple: Is the bad for RL?

If "no", then why complain? Free marketing!!!

If "yes', why do WE choose to keep the name? Its like getting into a fight, tying your own hand behind your back and acting surprised when your opponent takes advantage.

This is a $billion industry where viewing numbers matter. You take your advantages where you can get them....

(Honestly, if the VFL gave RL any kind of advantage like this, I think most here would be f*ckin grumpy if RL didnt take it.)

taipan

Referee
Your comprehension skills need work. As Te Kaha points out the author is referring to the proposed World League which they refer to as World Rugby League. That is not the name of the concept as it hasn't been ratified and isn't even agreed upon as yet. It's not that hard to get your head around. The stunning persecution complex on display by a number of posters here is amazing.

Thanks Professor, you obviously didn't delve deeper into what I stated later.

It's obvious by your response, suggests a tad touchiness.You made the claim you hadn't seen World Rugby league mentioned anywhere,I showed an example this was not the case.Whether it is ratified in the long term thinking, or just a thought, or in the too hard basket, it was as a"proposed World rugby league".
Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Why should they bend over backwards for RL?

We took the "Rugby" name when we broke away, why would they suddenly be honourable and not use "League"?

taipan

Referee
Why should they bend over backwards for RL?

We took the "Rugby" name when we broke away, why would they suddenly be honourable and not use "League"?

I'm not suggesting they(RU) do.In fact I'm suggesting that rl should have changed it's name in the early days or do so in the near future ,if they want to avoid the confusion.
I further spelt out the name League: is a comp involving sporting clubs.Many leagues of various sports abound in this world.

Whatwhere

Juniors
Thanks Professor, you obviously didn't delve deeper into what I stated later.

It's obvious by your response, suggests a tad touchiness.You made the claim you hadn't seen World Rugby league mentioned anywhere,I showed an example this was not the case.Whether it is ratified in the long term thinking, or just a thought, or in the too hard basket, it was as a"proposed World rugby league".
Don't shoot the messenger.

It's not touchiness. It's frustration. The OP claims it's called WRL. It's not. There is no official name for it. There's no official competition. They've been working on it for 6 months and it's still appears to be in the embryonic stages. World League has been attached to it thanks to its originator Augustin Pichot labelling it as such. Being an Argentine his doesn't think or care about RL. There is no official WRL. There's a concept being worked through. Whatever journalists covering the story refer to it means exactly shit until all the participating Unions, regional bodies and WR sign off on it.

When I asked for proof of the name being used in a formal manner. As in the name of the competition. It has not. The author is referring to 'World rugby league' purely from a structural sense as it would be a worldwide, rugby competition in a league format. Noting that a league isn't actually a sport but a structure used by sports across the world. This is all fairly obvious and simple to comprehend for anyone who applies more that 1 second of thought and consideration to the topic. But clearly that doesn't include yourself.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We should have come up with a new name three decades ago. We moved from northern union to rugby league so not like we haven’t changed our name before. A new name would stop all the bs that goes on in other countries when union tries to claim rugby league is a rival “rugby” league. Drop the scrums, come up with a new name and let’s market ourself as the entirely different sport we now are.

I’m actually suprised union hasn’t used “rugby” league yet to describe a competition beyond the USA.

taipan

Referee
It's not touchiness. It's frustration. The OP claims it's called WRL. It's not. There is no official name for it. There's no official competition. They've been working on it for 6 months and it's still appears to be in the embryonic stages. World League has been attached to it thanks to its originator Augustin Pichot labelling it as such. Being an Argentine his doesn't think or care about RL. There is no official WRL. There's a concept being worked through. Whatever journalists covering the story refer to it means exactly shit until all the participating Unions, regional bodies and WR sign off on it.

When I asked for proof of the name being used in a formal manner. As in the name of the competition. It has not. The author is referring to 'World rugby league' purely from a structural sense as it would be a worldwide, rugby competition in a league format. Noting that a league isn't actually a sport but a structure used by sports across the world. This is all fairly obvious and simple to comprehend for anyone who applies more that 1 second of thought and consideration to the topic. But clearly that doesn't include yourself.

I quote"No news piece I have seen even suggested so." Well I saw a piece that did just that"suggested so".Not ratified,not affirmed, not set in concrete.Just a proposal.
Look I couldn't care less what they call it, my days of being a ru fan are well over.

I just want rugby league to get its sh*t together Internationally,,even if it means calling's it "You Beaut League"

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
We should have come up with a new name three decades ago. We moved from northern union to rugby league so not like we haven’t changed our name before.

Actually, there was another in the middle. Northern Union > Rugby (Rugby Football League) > Rugby League (RLF)

A new name would stop all the bs that goes on in other countries when union tries to claim rugby league is a rival “rugby” league. Drop the scrums, come up with a new name and let’s market ourself as the entirely different sport we now are.

I’m actually suprised union hasn’t used “rugby” league yet to describe a competition beyond the USA.

I dont even think we need to drop Rugby (if our marketing guys find it is too valuable to lose)....

I think the best solution (easy to impelent, keeps the traditionalists happy) would be some kind of prefix: XXXX Rugby

13s Rugby, Pro Rugby, Allgold Rugby, League Rugby,
doesnt really matter. Follow the format of every football code on earth to differentiate themselves by putting the identifier BEFORE the common brand.